Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 08:21 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,686,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
Take it easy Scoop.

Weir not in enlish class.
'Tis true, but you have to love a word nerd. And a man with a big dictionary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 11:33 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,026,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post

Weir not in enlish class.
I don't think Bob Weir needs any grammar help. He wrote "Playing in the Band," and "One More Saturday Night," after all.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:05 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,836,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
In a more serious vein -- think about it for a moment. All the rotten schools we have that need improvement. (The bad schools in the bad neighborhoods that produce all the dropout kids.) All of THOSE schools, and we had only TWO schools (in good neighborhoods) that turned around enough to merit some attention?

You can say that I'll gripe about anything. But c'mon. How many awful CCSD stories have to come out before Las Vegas says, "That's it. No more. Enough is enough?"
The National Blue Ribbon Awards are limited in distribution. The process only allows for a few in the State of Nevada. It is the Nevada DofE that nominates. Two Las Vegas Valley schools won because the state nominated two.

Neither school is obvious. They are not the top elementary nor does either have sufficient minority population to be nominated for progress in gap closing. Bonner might make it but only by including its Asian population in the minority set.

The award can be won only once in a five year period.

The standard criticism is that the National Blue Ribbon Award is very rarely won by other than schools with strong socioeconomic populations. The process simply requires a strong and well organized operation.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:58 AM

114 posts, read 120,408 times
This article aside, I have a question regarding school systems in LV. I am relocating to the area soon, and, although my children are grown and gone, and I do not have to worry about the school system per se, we are looking for a home to purchase, and the rating of a school system directly correlates to both the market value and quality of a home/neighborhood. I have heard the school systems in Summerlin and Henderson are highly rated, but what about other areas? Would East Henderson fall under the same school system quality as the schools in Henderson? It is just one more aspect to help us get a grasp on properties/neighborhoods that we are interested in.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:15 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,836,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIS719 View Post
This article aside, I have a question regarding school systems in LV. I am relocating to the area soon, and, although my children are grown and gone, and I do not have to worry about the school system per se, we are looking for a home to purchase, and the rating of a school system directly correlates to both the market value and quality of a home/neighborhood. I have heard the school systems in Summerlin and Henderson are highly rated, but what about other areas? Would East Henderson fall under the same school system quality as the schools in Henderson? It is just one more aspect to help us get a grasp on properties/neighborhoods that we are interested in.
Standard rule. Schools with good demographics will have the better performance. So check the household median income. High school is a bit different in that most serve large areas with diverse demographics. There are magnetic and specialty schools of interest to parents but they would have little impact on a non parent home owner. There are lots of places with suitable schools all around the periphery of the valley.

It is pretty easy to check the performance of elementary and middle schools. Just check the school system achievement reports where there is a rack listing the performance of each school. YOu want the percentage scoring at adequate or above. Ignore the stars.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:36 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,802,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIS719 View Post
Based on what I've read, the high schools in GV (Coronado, and GVHS) are rated higher than Basic and Foothill, which are on the East side of Henderson. But, as LVOC said, median household income West of the 95 is going to be higher than East of the 95.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:13 PM

15,882 posts, read 14,538,304 times
What is the definitive organization for ranking public schools nationally? Do they have a publicly available list?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas