Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 02:16 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,014,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
It is a risk based investment. Not a guaranteed return like a CD. You cannot guarantee that the mutual fund doesn't tank.
You cannot guarantee the CD, either. It is insured by the NCUSIF. But in the scenario that I have described where in order for me to lose everything on my index fund, 3,000 of the strongest companies on the planet would have to simultaneously declare bankruptcy, what good do you think a credit union is going to do?

I think people should quit hand-wringing and play the financial game to win. It's all Monopoly money anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 02:50 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,559,523 times
I can only think of the depression as a time where a CD might have been destroyed where as mutual funds have had plenty of opportunities to reach nil. It's disingenuous to not acknowledge that the CD rate the OP posted is good even though it's capped. If you dislike CDs as investments that's fine. But to compare CDs to stocks is pointless, they are different types of financial instruments.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:56 AM

It's not that I don't like CDs as an investment. It's that I think that a CD isn't an investment at all. Our inflation rate is currently hovering at 2% and our buying power is in the toilet. Why do you expect me to be interested in a 3% real rate of return when I can invest in traditionally safe funds that triples that on a bad year?

And if traditionally safe funds tank, it's a "guns, ammo and fresh water" economy anyway. So who cares?

Old 09-26-2014, 03:01 AM

A mutual fund does not guarantee protection of the principal amount. No historical data you show me for any mutual fund will negate this fact.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:08 AM

That's great. Enjoy your $250 return on a $5,000 investment. I have better things to do. I do not care about guaranteed protection of principal. Not one bit. The sort of financial crisis that will wipe out my investments will wipe out society as we know it. So really, who cares?

I wish you would answer my question instead of endlessly talking about useless guarantees.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:19 AM

I already indirectly answered your question several times over. Your mutual fund does not guarantee your money will still exist this coming month/year/5 years from now. I haven't heard of any FDIC investments going nil as long as the individual invested the allowable limit. If you don't like CDs, that's fine. They're not for everybody. 5% is a fantastic rate though and that credit union is probably losing money by offering that deal but they're obviously doing it for customer satisfaction.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:32 AM

8,420 posts, read 4,590,760 times
It's not one or the other. You can do both. Diversity is important in any healthy financial plan.

I have backups for my backups. A 5% return on liquid funds beats the heck out of some of my backups.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:49 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,912,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
It's not one or the other. You can do both. Diversity is important in any healthy financial plan.

I have backups for my backups. A 5% return on liquid funds beats the heck out of some of my backups.
Yup, I'll take 5% all day. Stocks have taken a beating lately. I think it goes without saying not to tie up money you might need in an emergency. Always keep cash reserves you can get to in a hurry.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
5% is a fantastic rate though and that credit union is probably losing money by offering that deal but they're obviously doing it for customer satisfaction.
There is no way they're losing money on the deal. There are too many investment instruments that pay considerably more than 5%. Investments which as so safe as to be considered essentially risk-free. There really is considerable risk in "safe" investments. Playing it safe is a big risk in itself.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:33 AM

11,178 posts, read 16,045,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Playing it safe is a big risk in itself.
You really ought to stick to answering questions on subjects where you have a modicum of knowledge. Your investment/personal finance posts, especially those in this thread, are beyond horrific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas