Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 10:35 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,274,964 times

Advertisements

No, there is nothing ignorant in comparing how hot last summer was compared to this summer. It's something to talk about. The weather. You know - electric bills, utilities, the stuff normal people worry about. Paying bills. Making ends meet. Not everyone is well off and can shrug it off.

Now if you're going to turn in to a snake oil salesman, and start trying to sound the alarm about a predicted climate change, when with the state of weather forecasting today that cannot even predict what the high temperature will be in three (3) days, or whether there will be a above normal, normal, or below normal hurricane season, let alone where a current hurricane will be in 36 hours, then we've got a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 11:22 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,982,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
No, there is nothing ignorant in comparing how hot last summer was compared to this summer. It's something to talk about. The weather. You know - electric bills, utilities, the stuff normal people worry about. Paying bills. Making ends meet. Not everyone is well off and can shrug it off.

Now if you're going to turn in to a snake oil salesman, and start trying to sound the alarm about a predicted climate change, when with the state of weather forecasting today that cannot even predict what the high temperature will be in three (3) days, or whether there will be a above normal, normal, or below normal hurricane season, let alone where a current hurricane will be in 36 hours, then we've got a problem.
ROFL! You just proved Scoop's point.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:58 PM

8,456 posts, read 4,658,427 times
I've never heard anyone laugh and say "Where is your climate change NOW?" when it's 20 degrees below average for the time of year. The joke was "Where is your GLOBAL WARMING NOW?" when it was 20 degree's below average. Remember when it was called that?

All I'm saying is it's a bit dishonest to suddenly change the name to something that fits either direction the weather or the climate takes. The last study I read said we are about .3 degree's hotter then we were 100 years ago. But on the other hand, we are about .4 degree's cooler then we were 200 years ago.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:38 AM

104 posts, read 256,330 times
I will complain, only because we did not enjoy our pool as usual. We actually like the 100 degree plus days when the pool is a cooling oasis. But we love the desert and all that goes with it. Just hoping for more heat and less clouds next year!

Old 08-31-2014, 03:44 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,117,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post

All I'm saying is it's a bit dishonest to suddenly change the name to something that fits either direction the weather or the climate takes.
Scientists never changed the name. The media did. Who gives a flying cookie about what the media thinks about climate change? They haven't been right in a very, very long time.

I'm not one of the chicken little climate change types. Here's what I think -- Climate change will add massive unpredictability to an already difficult problem. At the end of the day, anyone who claims to be able to predict long term outcomes is probably full of it.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:45 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,190,788 times
We do know that the weather has, in the past, underwent massive flucuations, and did so rather quickly. While we may not be able to predict which way it will go, we do know that it is becoming unstable and will change sooner rather than later.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:18 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,821,407 times
Climate changes are a world wide thing. People tend to look in their back yards only and say no such thing is happening what they do not realize is a climate change in another part of the world can affect us in the US and vice versa. Nature events such as a volcano erupting in the pacific will affect us here in America sooner than later. Look up past nature disasters and see how they affected weather in other parts of the world. It affects the oceans also which adds to things like more hurricanes or less hurricanes, drought, more snow fall or less and etc. The warming and cooling of ocean currents play a very significant part of the earths weather. The moving of the jet stream also affects weather which again is affected by the winds produced by the oceans. People must also take in consideration weather cycles for example the northeast this past winter had weather that they have not had in 40 years. So people who live there who are 40 yrs old or less ran around like Chicken little where someone like me just smiled and said that was a typical winter when I was growing up. One thing for sure WE ALL enjoy talking about the weather and how right we are about predicating it and how we are never wrong lol Stay thirsty my friends !!!!

Old 09-01-2014, 12:54 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,117,904 times
If the jet stream changes, for instance, Las Vegas could become an ABSOLUTE PARADISE. If we had the jet stream over us reliably, we wouldn't be a desert anymore. I doubt that will happen because the jet stream typically hovers over the US/Canadian border -- it moves around, but that's where you can usually find it at our longitude.

If that were to change -- doubtful because of the Sierra Nevada -- the entire climate of the US would change. If the Gulf Stream shifts, there are a LOT of possible outcomes, and none of them are any good.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:57 AM

6,410 posts, read 11,994,840 times
Well the official calculation is in. August was 2.4 degrees below normal. However June was 2.7 degrees above normal and July was 1.4 degrees above normal. So all in all it has been about an average summer.

I think the tendency though is to notice the really high and really low temperatures, all the stuff in the middle just gets forgotten. You know kind of like the whole debate over climate change, people only bring it up when it gets really hot for a few days or really cold for a period of time.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:09 PM

165 posts, read 211,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Well the official calculation is in. August was 2.4 degrees below normal. However June was 2.7 degrees above normal and July was 1.4 degrees above normal. So all in all it has been about an average summer.

I think the tendency though is to notice the really high and really low temperatures, all the stuff in the middle just gets forgotten. You know kind of like the whole debate over climate change, people only bring it up when it gets really hot for a few days or really cold for a period of time.
People tend to have a memory bias toward more recent events, as well as the bias toward extreme events. The average events all sort of blend together, maybe it's the brain's way of conserving space

At any rate, the summer has been pretty nice, but I really love the fall weather here. I like to ride my motorcycle and the fall temperatures are perfect for that. Summer isn't bad because of the low humidity but I need to drink a lot of water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas