Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 08:52 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,179,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Red View Post

Too many people with too much money taking too much ecstacy.
Sounds about right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 04:15 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,807,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Sounds about right.
Maybe. Have any of the Tech Fund's investments panned out? Any exits (IPOs or sales)?

Old 09-03-2014, 06:37 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,818,028 times
It does not look like Container Park is failing anytime soon.

Downtown The Container Park in downtown Las Vegas is officially full.

"Two new stores and the locale’s first full-service restaurant opening in September will take the development to capacity, said Doug McPhail, retail operations director for the Downtown Project, a $350 million land redevelopment initiative."

Bill

Old 09-03-2014, 06:48 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,498,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
It does not look like Container Park is failing anytime soon.

Downtown The Container Park in downtown Las Vegas is officially full.

"Two new stores and the locale’s first full-service restaurant opening in September will take the development to capacity, said Doug McPhail, retail operations director for the Downtown Project, a $350 million land redevelopment initiative."

Bill
Love the Container Park and also Bin 702. The bar/restaurant makes a delicious Grilled Cheese Panini using Gouda and Gruyere.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:04 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,807,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
I applaud Tony's mission and actually putting his money where his mouth is, but I don't understand his vision. I think building up a great college, medical center and school, ect., running his tech fund more like a pure results-driven VC would have a better economic impact. Building buildings/land downtown is nice, but it's gotta make sense and work.

Tony strikes me as almost too intellectual and trying too hard to be cool with his projects, that it might be his weakness.
Let me correct something on this...I don't think his VC model is "broken" or that he (and his team) run it differently, just the concepts they invest in don't make sense to me from scaling. I think the group thinking among VCs is bad and the deal flow to compete for the best companies is tough when you're focused on Vegas. They should be willing to break away away from the mantra of the traditional angel/VC investor and risk in non-traditional entrepreneurs (no team, ect.) and pre-seed ideas. Get creative with your deal structure to make it as entrepreneur-friendly as possible. Do they invest in non-teams and different people?

The Shift concept-formerly Project 100-is interesting. I guess they got their first set of Telsas. I thought it was a cool idea, and still is, but when they got the Telsas and originally said it was $400/month for the car-sharing membership, it missed a big opportunity and priced out the community he's trying to create. Order a mix Honda Civics/CR-Vs (for 100 cars, you'll likely be able to get a very nice deal for that size of an order) and price it accordingly, and it would be a brilliant plan. Can still have the Telsas for an extra premium if you want. Start-up entrepreneurs, Zappo employees, downtown workers, ect. very likely couldn't afford the $400 price tag, but a reasonably priced plan for the Hondas? I'm in!

Now, Downtown is certainly better because of Tony and his money, and hopefully it continues.

Last edited by Wolfpacker; 09-03-2014 at 10:12 AM..

Old 09-03-2014, 03:38 PM

850 posts, read 1,028,706 times
Good point about not paying the premium for the Tesla cool factor and going to economical Hondas.

Would it be fair to say that so far DTP has been more successful fostering an artsy district/hip neighborhood rather than a high tech district? I'm curious to hear about truly exciting/innovative startups - tech dev not retail shopping in Downtown...

Has the DTP money brought in/on critical mass/self-sustaining economic activity or is it like desert irrigation - when the water stops, the plants are toast. How many of the Ogden apartments are subsidized by DTP (Da Tony Project) vs residents paying for their space with money they earned free/clear of DTP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas