Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 02:02 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times

Advertisements

This question asnwers one that I had. I see a decent custom home being built on a rather large lot in an area just between Vegas and NLV on Jones. An area I would see as declining. I wondered why anyone would build new there- I guess I hsave my answer. Cheap land and good access to HS internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 09:50 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,909,005 times
If you would consider Henderson, there is a community by Lance Burton's house that could be suitable. Large properties, nice neighborhood. Sorry don't know the name of the community but I'm sure someone on this forum knows

Old 07-12-2014, 06:35 PM

55 posts, read 70,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
If you would consider Henderson, there is a community by Lance Burton's house that could be suitable. Large properties, nice neighborhood. Sorry don't know the name of the community but I'm sure someone on this forum knows
Cool. I'll take a look. I don't mind Henderson, just haven't gotten around to explore much there.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:22 AM

55 posts, read 70,079 times
Just a quick update here, I spoke with a business rep. at Cox this week. It took me some serious digging to finally get a guy on the phone who could even begin to help me. Super frustrating... but glad I finally found him.

The properties I mentioned just east of El Capitan here on the NW side of town... they all date back quite a ways long before Cox had anything pulled out this way. They do a survey of those residents every few years to gauge interest in Cable vs. the satellites and antennas they use now... and they never get enough positive responses to justify the expense of completely adding-in that area. Interesting.

Bottom line is, then, that if I bought a property in that area, they'd have to figure the closest connection point from west of El Capitan, and I'd be on the hook to pay for the whole thing. The only silver lining was that as a business customer, if I inked a 3-4 year contract at my current spend rate, they'd likely cover a very small portion of it. Sigh.

Last edited by NoMoreRent; 09-07-2014 at 02:23 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-07-2014, 06:43 AM

200 posts, read 271,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreRent View Post
It was explained to me that right now (Summer 2014) developers are not buying lots smaller than 10-15 acres. As such, land owners know that they can get $110k+ per acre. They call these "developer rates" because the only way to justify that much money per acre is the fact that they can cram 40+ homes in that kind of space. Normally, I'm told, one acre by itself is generically worth between $50-70k "non developer" rate for lack of a better term.
There's your problem, right there. Big chunks of land sell for less on a per acre basis as compared to small chunks of land (in most cases). So you should not listen to the person who told you that bogus info and should instead listen to me.

Because sometimes the random guy on the internet knows more than the person who you have a face to face conversation with.

Sam's Club sells big lots of stuff for less but you have to buy more of it. Same with land.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:15 AM

111 posts, read 134,857 times
Perhaps a simple solution is to purchase several adjacent lots and have them combined into a single larger lot.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:08 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreRent View Post
Just a quick update here, I spoke with a business rep. at Cox this week. It took me some serious digging to finally get a guy on the phone who could even begin to help me. Super frustrating... but glad I finally found him.

The properties I mentioned just east of El Capitan here on the NW side of town... they all date back quite a ways long before Cox had anything pulled out this way. They do a survey of those residents every few years to gauge interest in Cable vs. the satellites and antennas they use now... and they never get enough positive responses to justify the expense of completely adding-in that area. Interesting.

Bottom line is, then, that if I bought a property in that area, they'd have to figure the closest connection point from west of El Capitan, and I'd be on the hook to pay for the whole thing. The only silver lining was that as a business customer, if I inked a 3-4 year contract at my current spend rate, they'd likely cover a very small portion of it. Sigh.
It is more complicated than you were told. Basically before Cox started phone service they were not classified as a utility and did not have rights to the utility right of way. Some of our more greedy subdividers wanted to charge Cox for use of the utility right of way...which Cox would not do...so some smaller tracts ended up without Cox.

Cox is more negotiable on the subject than they initially indicate. We had a client in a tract requiring a 1/4 mile run. Cox estimated cost at $33,000 but was actually willing to run the line for $12,000. The rub however is that bill was too high for a single user and everyone else in the cul-de-sac was happy with the satellite guys.

Note that the County Commission has some pull on this item and if you really get to it you should solicit the Commissioners support. I don't know how it works in the cities.

There are scattered plots of small acreage all over town. The more distant places generally start out at 10 or 12 acres and break down eventually into 2.5 acre parcels...these will take 4 half acre lots. While it used to be that larger parcels were required by the developers a couple now do the 2.5 acre subs. So it is all pretty much the same except you can sometimes find isolated 1 acres that are discounted.

You might wander through the NW - particularly Lone Mountain - and look for signs on lots. There are dozens. You can also scout for likely spots and drop a letter to the owner. That information is avalible through GISMO.

I think your quest is doable...stay away from Kyle Canyon and way west...too hard to deal with cable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas