Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 04:38 AM

927 posts, read 883,306 times

Advertisements

These neighborhoods don't exist for under 300k. If you find one, please let me know.

The chances of finding good neighbors who don't break rules in Vegas are similar to the chances of the roulette wheel landing on green. You're better off buying a home on a large lot of land that's not in an HOA and minimizing the amount of neighbors you have.

If you do find a subdivision that looks like it could work, I would strongly suggest renting in a community for at least a year to give the HOA a trial run before you place a significant investment. I did not do such a thing and am paying the price.

The problem you will face is getting the HOA to actually enforce anything, as most are managed by external companies hired by the board who don't pick up the phone or respond to e-mails. There's zero accountability for the management company to enforce any of the rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 04:57 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
These neighborhoods don't exist for under 300k. If you find one, please let me know.
He could get into a townhouse community in Spanish Trail for under $300k. And trust me, they do enforce the rules, including no street parking. In fact, in many of the sub-communities, you're not even allowed to park in your own driveway (unless you have more cars than your garage can hold).

Old 07-05-2014, 04:59 AM

927 posts, read 883,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Stop everybody. It is a relatively easy request. If he is over 55 even easier. The number of places with no active street parking is huge. Most of the gated places in town in fact.

Try almost anywhere in 89134 or 89144 or 89138 or up the hill in Henderson in 89012 or 89052. And given the price point you might want to try the less expensive areas like 89131,89129, 89149, 89143 or 89084.
There's laws in Henderson that vehicles cannot stay parked in the street without moving for over 72 hours.

On top of that, many HOAs have within their CC&Rs rules that state that you must use your garage for the storage of your vehicle and cannot place junk in your garage and keep your car in the street/driveway.

Again, the issue is enforcement. My neighbors across the street with a 2 car garage have boxes up to the ceiling in their garage while 3 cars are parked outside daily. When I contact the HOA I get no response. This is in 89052.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:00 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,490,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
There's laws in Henderson that vehicles cannot stay parked in the street without moving for over 72 hours.

On top of that, many HOAs have within their CC&Rs rules that state that you must use your garage for the storage of your vehicle and cannot place junk in your garage and keep your car in the street/driveway.

Again, the issue is enforcement. My neighbors across the street with a 2 car garage have boxes up to the ceiling in their garage while 3 cars are parked outside daily. When I contact the HOA I get no response. This is in 89052.

Welcome to Clark County where homeowners love to use their garage as a storage space, hahaha!

Old 07-05-2014, 10:11 AM

427 posts, read 630,509 times
Renting first is your best option.
Have you gone out with a realtor? A realtor will get you into guard gated communities. I think those communities tend to have stricter enforcement.
Where I live, the patrol staff ticket cars that are on the street and will also issue tickets for barking dogs. Where my parents live, the rules state no cars on the street but unless someone complains, there is no enforcement. It had never been a problem in the past, but this year there is one house (new people) with a few teenagers and not enough room in the driveway for 5 cars. With only one problem home, people aren't complaining ( yet).

Old 07-05-2014, 12:12 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
I'd be interested to know where this is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
[rude]

But seriously, I do know of such a neighborhood that exist in LV. The owner of the company that my wife works for, lives there. And I can tell you that 300k will not cut it. You would have to triple that. I heard HOA fees are over $500+ too. Two gaurd gated community with entry/exit cameras to catch license plate numbers. Is this what you want?

It's a hassle to even go through the main gate and just about every home has a circular drive court(not a standard driveway).

I tried to do a Craigslist transaction in this community. The inconvenience killed the deal.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:26 PM

427 posts, read 630,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
Welcome to Clark County where homeowners love to use their garage as a storage space, hahaha!
This isn't specific to Clark County. It's true everywhere .... people just have too much stuff !

Old 07-05-2014, 02:59 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
There are dozens. Spanish Trail...actually has gated communities behind the guard gated one. Also true in Painted Desert. The Ridges. TPC. Queensridge also has some double gated. McDonald's Ranch. LVCC. Couple of tracts in the Hills at Summerlin. And there are dozens of others.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:10 PM

165 posts, read 209,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longton52 View Post
This isn't specific to Clark County. It's true everywhere .... people just have too much stuff !
I think I have the only house on my block without a car in the street or driveway. If the HOA decided to start enforcing this rule there would probably be a revolt since 9/10 houses don't park a single car in the garage. My whole neighborhood is made up of houses with 3 car garages containing 0 automobiles. It definitely looks trashy, but it will never change so I have learned to live with it.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:54 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,156,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I believe it's the Hills of Summerlin. Not 100% sure. Gotta ask my wife. The community also has it's own lake I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: