Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 01:10 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,559,041 times

Advertisements

OP it's still a renter's market here. Tell us how much the rent is for and what zip and I will tell you if it's such a good deal that you "must" leap on it right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 05:28 PM

9,542 posts, read 16,553,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
[threads merged]

One thing that's weird is them asking for money prior to you getting an application.. other than that, it seems fairly normal.

Yes I think its kind of strange also. The application after I send the money.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
OP it's still a renter's market here. Tell us how much the rent is for and what zip and I will tell you if it's such a good deal that you "must" leap on it right now.

It's 89119. The rent is real real cheap for a studio. So that means under $500, but then I have a $100 discount. At least for the 6 month lease. I don't believe it is in the best part of Las Vegas (crime wise) and I'm not expecting it to be. Hell where I live along the RI/Mass border, its a high crime/drug area. So maybe Las Vegas will even be an improvement. I will be right in the city and though not on the strip, it is not far from it. So the apt is in the heart of Las Vegas I guess. I wanted to be near bus lines where service was frequent. Even though I have a car I do not want to be dependent on it. Remember I said I'm retired, and to me that means I want to retire where I have some access to transit Even if just bus service. So I imagine that means I won't be living way out in the suburbs.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Jim,

I don't think it's that out of whack. We moved here from the East Coast (a few miles south of where you are) into a house we had never seen before. We were fortunate enough to have friends and a good realtor here who went to our top 5 houses that we had picked online and checked them out for us.

I believe (LVOC, correct me if I'm wrong), that we gave a deposit, somewhere around $500 with our application, to the property management company. Once we were approved, we got the lease emailed to us, signed it, and sent it back with another $4K or so. (first, security, pet, cleaning, key, etc).

The keys were in a lock box when we got here.

Check out the management company who is asking for the money. I'm sure they will be found online, and you might even see reviews. But as long as they are legit (you can also probably find this out by calling the city or county), you should be fine. People move here all the time from all over the world. It may not be as conventional as we are used to in New England, but it's done all the time.

Thanks. I needed some positive info and advice. It's even better it's from someone from back here. Your right on the conventional part. I think it is very conventional here in New England, but I doubt in Las Vegas.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadtam View Post
They just had a newscast on renters getting scammed by people renting apartments they do not own.
I would be VERY skeptical..

Yes that's what prompted me to start this thread. Thank I will be as careful as I can. Thanks

Old 06-10-2014, 05:57 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,684,131 times
I would at least check with the organization you are a member of and confirm that they have dealt with this management company running the building (or whoever) in the past with positive results.

In the area you are describing I do hope the building is indeed mostly retired folks otherwise it might be a not so relaxing building to live in.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I would at least check with the organization you are a member of and confirm that they have dealt with this management company running the building (or whoever) in the past with positive results.

In the area you are describing I do hope the building is indeed mostly retired folks otherwise it might be a not so relaxing building to live in.

I have contacted that organization, but haven't heard from them yet. Yes the small bldg. I am going to is retired people, but I'm wondering what type of people are they. I'm wondering because the more research I do on this area, it seems it is just off the airport property and near the UNLV, Hard Rock Café is only a few blocks away. I'm questioning the area also, and it probably is not such a great deal after all. I have looked on google maps which gives a good view of the areas. I went up and down the streets nearby. All I saw was just commercial type bldgs. I saw one CVS and one Walgreens. I went up and down Swenson, which is right by the apt and I didn't see one supermarket. Seems very strange. Is this what Las Vegas is all about unless one is in the suburbs. Other than a 7'11 across from the apt I see nothing for groceries, basically nothing really of interest. Seems like I am going to say no on this deal and will be back to square 1. Hotel and look over the LV Valley. I think that is probably the best way. Thanks for the reply.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:05 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,684,131 times
You can pull up the address on crimemapper.com ( note- I rec adjusting the dates so they show 1 month of crime within a mile of the location.

If you leave the dates as shown you may only see a few days worth depending on the day of the week it happens to be when viewing the stats.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:53 PM

29 posts, read 29,919 times
OR you can do like me...I live in a Motel for 300 bucks a week on the strip all bills included and daily maid service,situations like mine you have to set up with the Hotel manager though,good luck.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:46 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,795,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASVEGASNATIVE071 View Post
OR you can do like me...I live in a Motel for 300 bucks a week on the strip all bills included and daily maid service,situations like mine you have to set up with the Hotel manager though,good luck.
There are motels between Mandalay and the Stratosphere? I don't think I have come across those..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas