Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 07:43 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,841,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by palepeople View Post
89105 is a PO BOx Zip - Here is the link to map to a zip code map of Henderson http://www.cityofhenderson.com/gis/d...s/zipcodes.pdf
The OP meant 89015.. that's the zip around Major.

I, personally, would choose pretty much any other zip code in Henderson if I was looking.

I also disagree that zip codes don't mean anything here. It is a good way to start "casting the net". When we were moving here a year ago, we had friends in 89044. We knew we wanted to be close to them, so we looked at the 6 or 7 zip codes around them.

Obviously, the neighborhoods will have some variance intra-zip code, but it gave us a good start to select some homes at which to look, then decide which was best for us.

We ended up in 89074. Now that I have been here for a year, I have no complaints, other than the fact that my friends have since broken up and moved away and most of our other friends live in the SW part of the city. But as far as the neighborhood goes, you really can't go wrong with 89074 or 89052.

Regarding friendly people - we've got them in spades in our neighborhood. My next door neighbor on one side was the guitar player on the Gong Show a million years ago, and likes to work on his yard. My next door neighbor on the other side is into refinishing furniture, across the street we've got the "Good ol' boy" from Louisiana and his lovely Mexican wife who brings us over homemade empenadas periodically. There's a realtor next to them on one side, and a family who hosts foster children on the other side. I found all of this out within a month. If you are a friendly person, you're going to get friendly people back.

Just my thoughts..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 11:42 AM

156 posts, read 408,016 times
89074 is a good zip code in Henderson (IMHO) because it is centrally located, has great freeway access and some of the better schools in the valley.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:46 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,841,526 times
Quote:
89074 is a good zip code in Henderson (IMHO) because it is centrally located, has great freeway access and some of the better schools in the valley.
I like it

I don't know anything about the schools, but I love that I am 1 mile from the 215, and about 5 from the 95. I have GVR practically in my back yard, and pretty much any store I need within a 5 mile radius. The only thing I don't like is the distance to where the majority of my friends live. Green Valley to Centennial Hills or even Summerlin is a bit of a hike. Especially with the taffic on the 215W just past the 15 every afternoon.. And if there's an accident, fuggedaboutit.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:59 PM

15,971 posts, read 14,671,001 times
I'd rather be south of there, on the other side of the freeway, up the hill.

Quote:

Old 06-10-2014, 04:17 PM

156 posts, read 408,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I'd rather be south of there, on the other side of the freeway, up the hill.

Yes - 89012 is also great and the parts of 89052 that are close to Green Valley Pkwy & the I-215 (we must keep our quick escapes ). Many parts of 89052 are gorgeous, with good schools - but it's hard to get in and out of the area.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:11 PM

15,971 posts, read 14,671,001 times
I don't know if I agree with that so much.

I'm not limiting to just that zip. That area (from Seven Hills east to the 515, south of the 215) covers at least four exits on the 215. Depending where you go, and especially if it's a priority for you, you can position yourself to have easy access to at least two of them. If you try real hard, you could probable do three.

Quote:
Yes - 89012 is also great and the parts of 89052 that are close to Green Valley Pkwy & the I-215 (we must keep our quick escapes ). Many parts of 89052 are gorgeous, with good schools - but it's hard to get in and out of the area.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:45 PM

5 posts, read 8,433 times
Thanks for responding everyone! I welcome others as well~ Yes the zip code areas make sense to me and I appreciate the responses with/without the zip code and telling me all about the particular areas. Right now I'm looking to rent not buy

Old 06-10-2014, 10:54 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,193,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyan03 View Post
Thanks for responding everyone! I welcome others as well~ Yes the zip code areas make sense to me and I appreciate the responses with/without the zip code and telling me all about the particular areas. Right now I'm looking to rent not buy
Renting is a smart decision. Rent for a while and learn all about Las Vegas. You may find other places you like more.

You asked about discrimination. On my little cul-de-sac there are old, young, Hispanic, Black, Asian, Whites, and a couple from Germany. No one cares about your religion, sexual orientation, or the color of your skin. You are completely free to live any life you choose as long as you can afford it! Here it's all about the money, not the amount of melanin in your skin. It's very diverse. You could have neighbors from all around the world.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:11 PM

5 posts, read 8,433 times
Sounds great yellowsnow! That's why I wanted to hear from people that actually lives there. I'm more so concerned about my daughter 13 (special needs-cp) it's all about her and before I make a commitment I have to definitely research and ask questions no matter how it sounds> You know you can read blogs and everyone have different opinions, some say no place to raise children, few say yes, so again thanks everyone and keep those comments coming.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 1,782 times
Hello Joyan,

I am also from the Midwest; Milwaukee, WI. I am planning on relocating my family from Milwaukee to Las Vegas next year when the kids get out of school in June. I have been doing a lot of research of the area myself. I have been hearing a lot about the Henderson and Summerlin area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: