Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2014, 08:05 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,908,022 times

Advertisements

Maybe I am paranoid, but I can't think of any place I feel comfortable storing propane. Garage is hotter than outside and the gas water heater pilot is on all the time so that seems like a bad idea. Indoors seems like a bad idea. Only other place is in South facing back yard. Ever hear of exploding tanks due to summer heat? I have a dozen small canisters and three 20 gallon tanks. Do you guys take any special precautions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 08:55 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,667,281 times
Garage is a BAD idea...you are right. Tanks shouldn't explode outside...they have a pressure relief valve so while they may empty they shouldn't pose an explosion risk.

Propane is a heavy gas...when it leaks it stays near the ground. As you have considered any potential ignition source should be absolutely avoided.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:44 AM

347 posts, read 511,646 times
According to propane tank manufacturer Blue Rhino, a propane tank should never be stored in a temperature of 125 degrees F or more

Read more: Regulations for Propane Tank Storage | eHow

Old 06-08-2014, 10:39 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisSuarez View Post
According to propane tank manufacturer Blue Rhino, a propane tank should never be stored in a temperature of 125 degrees F or more

Read more: Regulations for Propane Tank Storage | eHow
So out of the sun outdoors is fine it seems. Maybe side of the house? I'd find a way to cover it..

Old 06-08-2014, 11:10 AM

15,827 posts, read 14,466,566 times
Outside in the shade. I'd also say out of the rain and snow, but in Vegas, this isn't an issue.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:33 PM

255 posts, read 451,130 times
I'm paranoid about it too. I want to get rid of the things and not use a gas grill. I only have 2 small ones and was thinking about putting them and my little cheapie portable gas grill on freecycle just to get rid of them. I want to buy one of the new electric (not gas) infared grills.

Amazon.com : Char-Broil TRU Infrared Electric Patio Bistro 180 Grill : Grill Parts : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Amazon.com : Char-Broil 12601578 Patio Bistro Tru-Infrared Electric Grill : Freestanding Grills : Patio, Lawn & Garden

NOTE: When looking at the second grill, the one with legs, the prices are different for different colors. Red is the least expensive.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:36 PM

255 posts, read 451,130 times
Oh, another thought...call the local fire department and see what they say about storing the propane. Then post what they say. I'm interested to find out.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:35 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Actually if they went off easily half the town would be gone. Even if left in too hot a spot they mostly just drain. If outside an in the shade it is practically impossible to have a problem. Just look at how they are stored at your local drug store or hardware store.

And they are actually a lot tougher than that. In my rounds I come across two and three of them sitting along side the house in direct sunlight. You know those babies are going well past 125.

So I would not worry. Just use normal common sense. Keep them out of direct sun and in the open.

As an aside one of the stranger things one would ever see was a good size boat at dockside bailing the boat of a propane leak. Apparently there alarm went off and they shut the boat down and then had the problem of the interiour of the boat being filled with propane. So what they did was bail it out. Bucket brigade style. Drop a bucket on a rope to the bilge and then pass it up and dump it over the side. Apparently worked as they did not blow up.

If you ever see a boat go from propane or gas fumes it is quite a sight. I have seen it twice...including one where everyone on board went flying through the air to splash down in the water. And actually no one was hurt except the boat was destroyed.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:09 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,908,022 times
Thanks everyone. I am less concerned now. I will keep them in the back yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas