Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 03:18 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,472,910 times
I think being disqualified for a job for smoking pot is ridiculous. I know plenty of productive people who smoke pot regularly or every now and then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 03:48 PM

529 posts, read 512,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
The pot test is not going to last. Only a matter of time before someone with a pot medical card sues for discrimination against the disabled. I don't think you can win now as the federal law still outlaws pot...but that is going to change someplace in the next decade. Or you are going to run into a state discrimination law in CA or Oregon.
I know of a gaming workplace that does not disqualify you if you have the medical card. I just assumed this was the norm. I guess not.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:45 PM

44 posts, read 67,045 times
Wow that sucks and I'm sorry for you. I'm not a pot smoker but I'm for the legalization of it. Anyway at the job I work now (Illinois) my boss gave me one of those quickie drug tests that I passed, but when looking at the results, my thc line was at like .02 or something. I'm happy I got hired because I don't smoke. But stupidly I was hanging with a friend who was hanging with a friend who was smoking the whole night in his studio apartment a few weeks before. I have nothing to worry about because I haven't been around weed since, but thank goodness my hiring status wasn't changed because of that.

I guess what I'm saying is, rules should be all inclusive and zero tolerance. But some rules need to be reexamined. Especially since another poster said a while ago that those drug tests only test for weed while the harder drugs leave your system in less than a week

But good luck op. I'm gonna apply to golden gate now! Lol

Old 05-29-2014, 06:28 PM

700 posts, read 1,330,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
The small privately owned business I worked for was hair and I believe it covered about 6 months. The pre-employment drug test was required by our workmans comp underwriter
There was no room for negotiation...if someone didn't pass they could not be hired PERIOD. Super frustrating to have someone apply who had an excellent work history and great resume only to have them not pass the test when they most likely were indeed not a regular user. This is why I won't even take one hit off a joint at a party...it would be just my luck that some dream position would pop up that I would be interested in that would require the test...that one hit sure wouldn't have seemed worth it.

I TOTALLY support drug screening...I'd really like to see it applied to welfare recipients as well but that is a whole different thread.
Yup been tried. Cost prohibitive, and not as many welfare recipients are using drugs and Fox News would have you believe.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:54 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,865,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
If you can't stay off pot long enough to pass a pee test, you are pretty much unemployable here.
There's always the pole.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:09 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,007,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
This is why we need to legalize and TAX cannabis. Way to go Colorado and Washington! Leading the way.
As long as it is illegal Federally...the tests continue... Even with a med card, I don't think they would be hireable.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:14 PM

323 posts, read 428,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Do you understand your drug use has just had a material effect on your life? So the question is do you love the drug more than you love you? Think about it.
We have a Choomer in the White House....................lol.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:38 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,581,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoknite View Post
Yup been tried. Cost prohibitive, and not as many welfare recipients are using drugs and Fox News would have you believe.
While you are hating on the only news outlet that at least gives an alternative view (you are all about alternatives, as in lifestyles, aren't you?) At least TRY to get your grammar correct.

I am amazed at how the left positions itself as the intellectual superior and will attack the right for simple mistakes like this. But they make them consistently.

Stop the R vs D team mentality. It's getting old.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:27 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,910,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I think being disqualified for a job for smoking pot is ridiculous. I know plenty of productive people who smoke pot regularly or every now and then.
Why would a company hire someone who uses drugs that can affect their safety/ judgement when the can hire someone who does not use drugs? You can't assume people will use good judgement about drug use prior to coming to work each day. A friend failed his drug test because he had a few beers prior to testing. I don't know if they tested for it or smelled it on him, but he failed either way. If someone cannot exercise good judgement when trying to get a job then..........

Old 05-29-2014, 10:02 PM

700 posts, read 1,330,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
While you are hating on the only news outlet that at least gives an alternative view (you are all about alternatives, as in lifestyles, aren't you?) At least TRY to get your grammar correct.

I am amazed at how the left positions itself as the intellectual superior and will attack the right for simple mistakes like this. But they make them consistently.

Stop the R vs D team mentality. It's getting old.
I was typing on my phone sorry. I only used fox news because that station is the only one I have seen advocate for welfare recipients to have drug testing. And of course I know because I watch it as well as AMC, ESPN, ESPN2, CNN, HLN, ABC, CBS, HGTV, and VH1. If you can deduce what 'side' Im on from the channels I watch please let me know. Had a chance to guess yet? Im not on the left nor the right. Im politically agnostic, but thanks for playing.

-Sorry observer53- back on subject now.

Drugs are bad mmmmmkaaay....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: