Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 05:59 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,065,189 times

Advertisements

Last time we were in China, we took to calling the roof ornaments on the great old buildings "roof rats." My wife and I want to buy a bunch of these things and install them on our roof. Unfortunately, I haven't found any place which sells them in quantities lower than 50.

If anyone knows where I can find some Las Vegas "roof rats" -- do drop a line.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 06:45 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,195,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangler View Post
Sorry for bumping this nasty subject but just today I found a fairly large one running up the back yard wall just an hour ago. It's now 2PM. This is the first year I grew, well rather had a voluntary cantaloupe patch. Something was chewing up the young fruits and now I know what it is. Since wrapping my cantaloupe it's now going for my eggplants. I love growing food, currently have fig, pomegranate, lemon, lime, nectarine and pluot trees. Their all about a year in the ground so their not prolific fruiting just yet but then there will come time these will attract more of these rats. I keep my yard clean, but I do have some bags of compost that I noticed had nibbles in the bags as well. I also grow veggies and disgusted to think that these creatures may have taken some nibbles on my greens. For those who have had to deal with this problem what did you use. We have stray cats or roaming pet cats in the neighborhood, I don't like them because they defecate in my garden beds but don't want to kill them either. So poisons that may harm someone's pet is out of the question. Any suggestion or ideas? This is the first time I will be dealing with something like this but I'll be taking care of this on my own. If you have a reputable person you can recommend or have an idea or two that I may try, I would be ever so greatful for your time in replying to my post.
A place I used to work deployed some traps for the ground squirrels around the building. I think he got them from Ecolab. The poisoned bait is inside the trap that looks a little like an oil pan. They don't come back out.

Incidentally, many of the people I worked with considered the ground squirrels cute and participated in a little eco terrorism by blocking the opening in the traps.

These were tiny little chipmunk things. Don't know if they have one that is rat sized, but it might be worth a phone call.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:21 PM

2,817 posts, read 2,129,216 times
Rats you say? I thought that I had left those folks back in California.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:24 PM

47 posts, read 63,912 times
Thanks for the suggestion folks. I'll give terminex and ecolabs a try. See how much they'll charge me to set traps for these rats. I'm sure they're rats and not ground squirrels, tail too long. They've eaten more of my eggplants and even the leaves since my post this afternoon. Plant is so tattered now. It takes a bit to do to keep plants alive, now I have to contend with these critters. I'm just a bit worried that they end up making a nest up in my attic or invading my garage. My friend is using half to store her possessions. It'll be an ideal nesting ground too. Need to get ahead of this problem.

Erratic, I thought I left rats in NYC as well. Those critters are mutants, I'm convinced they're hell spawn.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:29 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,472,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
A place I used to work deployed some traps for the ground squirrels around the building. I think he got them from Ecolab. The poisoned bait is inside the trap that looks a little like an oil pan. They don't come back out.

Incidentally, many of the people I worked with considered the ground squirrels cute and participated in a little eco terrorism by blocking the opening in the traps.

These were tiny little chipmunk things. Don't know if they have one that is rat sized, but it might be worth a phone call.
Terminex also gave me one or two of those but they didn't catch any.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:32 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,472,321 times
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion folks. I'll give terminex and ecolabs a try. See how much they'll charge me to set traps for these rats. I'm sure they're rats and not ground squirrels, tail too long. They've eaten more of my eggplants and even the leaves since my post this afternoon. Plant is so tattered now. It takes a bit to do to keep plants alive, now I have to contend with these critters. I'm just a bit worried that they end up making a nest up in my attic or invading my garage. My friend is using half to store her possessions. It'll be an ideal nesting ground too. Need to get ahead of this problem.

Erratic, I thought I left rats in NYC as well. Those critters are mutants, I'm convinced they're hell spawn.
I think I heard one of them say he was going to sit on the coib and listen to the boids while his buddy was pawking the caw.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:14 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,195,560 times
Quote:

You might consider a big, scrappy, well fed cat for nighttime patrol. They will kill for fun. For daytime patrol, I recommend Australian Shepherds or fully grown chickens. Neither take too kindly to violation of their space by smaller critters.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:20 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,961,886 times
And they love Palm trees...

Old 11-18-2015, 04:03 PM

47 posts, read 63,912 times
If only I have room for chickens. A couple of big cats already prowl at night. Both of which aren't mine. Unfortunately they just use my back yard as a big kitty litter but ignore the rats. Or maybe the rats wised up and go for my veggies and fruits during the day. Just saw the same big ratter a minute ago running up the back wall. They just discovered my figs. Very tenacious this things.

Buzz, funny... Not a native Noo Yawker but lived there for over 2 decades. I do have a funny accent. People say they can't quite pin it from where. Worked mostly in the city but lived in the boroughs. Probably accounts for the funny accent.

I'll try the traps, can't hurt...

Thank you guys. Now gotta get back to work before they notice I've been goofing...

Old 11-19-2015, 02:03 AM

1,825 posts, read 5,328,437 times
I got an electric rat trap off Amazon. Nothing for weeks, then it got cold and I've killed 5 rats, 3 were caught one a day for 3 consecutive days.

Each kill I wipe out the trap with soap and water. I bait with two pieces of dog food with a little peanut butter on them.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas