Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2014, 07:02 AM

39 posts, read 55,900 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

We're still working on our plan to move to Las Vegas. Now we are trying to run the numbers to see if we could get by on one full-time income and one part-time income (totaling $50k). We currently live in Boston and barely get by on 80k with both of us working full-time. I would like to calculate and see if we can do it on 50k with the lower cost of living over there and have more time with the kids. So, for anyone familiar with the Boston area, say we wanted to live in Melrose, but we choose Malden to save on rent. Could you make this comparison with areas of Las Vegas? Like if we wanted to live in Henderson, but also want to save money, what would be the next best thing?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 07:17 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,788,007 times
There is such a different vibe here that the 2 places are very hard to compare. And depending on your lifestyle, $50K should do fine for you out here. But I can't think of any neighborhoods out here that would compare to the towns out there. Maybe Seven Hills compares to Weston, but the entire area is so dramatically different out here, that you really need to come see it and see what it's all about.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:22 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,680,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocks/salt View Post
Hello all!

We're still working on our plan to move to Las Vegas. Now we are trying to run the numbers to see if we could get by on one full-time income and one part-time income (totaling $50k). We currently live in Boston and barely get by on 80k with both of us working full-time. I would like to calculate and see if we can do it on 50k with the lower cost of living over there and have more time with the kids. So, for anyone familiar with the Boston area, say we wanted to live in Melrose, but we choose Malden to save on rent. Could you make this comparison with areas of Las Vegas? Like if we wanted to live in Henderson, but also want to save money, what would be the next best thing?

Thanks!

Welcome dude! I'm from Bah-stun too!!

By moving here I save over $6000 in Mass Income Tax. I can pay for childcare for 4 and 2 year old for the price of one back in title town.

Property tax is low.

Sun is 90% of the days. No more gloomy more than 1/2 year of winter/rainy/heavy cloud days.

Summerlin and Henderson is not quite like Newton. No town in Boston really compares. Here is a car friendly commute metro. You don't have all those one-ways and as nearly as much donkey-hole drivers in NE/New York.

Visit and spend your time outside the strip. Drive around everywhere.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the wicked awesome replies Boston people! Lol. I actually lived in Las Vegas for a short while about 20 years ago, and since have visited numerous times. So I'm familiar with the area as far as finding my way around, but I didn't have kids when I lived there before, so the area I lived wasn't as big a concern. So I guess we will have to visit again and try to get a feel for the different areas on our own. I'm thinking maybe we'll probably start off in Henderson and go from there. I'll be working at the airport, so that should be a good spot. We don't know yet where my husband will be working, so maybe that will be a factor later....

Thanks again!

Old 05-06-2014, 01:18 PM

Oh and winter-rabbit, that is so good to hear about the tax and child care savings. I am really looking forward to that! Though I'm hoping I won't have to work so much and I can take care of the kids myself, but we'll see how that goes. And definitely looking forward to the weather. I am done with these New England winters. I hope to never need a snow shovel again in my life!

Old 05-06-2014, 01:55 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,680,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocks/salt View Post
Oh and winter-rabbit, that is so good to hear about the tax and child care savings. I am really looking forward to that! Though I'm hoping I won't have to work so much and I can take care of the kids myself, but we'll see how that goes. And definitely looking forward to the weather. I am done with these New England winters. I hope to never need a snow shovel again in my life!
Henderson is great. They have 90 miles of walking trails. Lots of parks with shaded playgrounds.

Even the YMCA membership is cheaper ($94 vs $61 for household membership).

You have to stay indoors for most of the day during peak summer. Though back in Boston, you be staying in the whole day in the winter due to storm or extremely cold/slush.

I have lots of friends living in Malden. It is nice to be able to take public transport, but have never taken it around there. You might need a second car so your husband can drive to work and you running errands with the kids.

As for jobs, retail/hospitality is huge here. Just don't be a car salesman. Haha. Only Raiderman or RA will understand. Reading some threads, buffet servers, bartenders, and waitresses could easily make 100K+ once they get some seniority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: