Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2014, 01:30 PM

572 posts, read 1,685,844 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I'm not even sure if there are people that remember me or not from way-back (5? years ago), but the SO and I are finally biting the bullet and making the move this summer. What's changed? Well, an SO, a new field of work (which I think may be a bit more marketable in Las Vegas), and a different set of priorities. I've read (and read and read) the threads but wondering about one thing. Are employers still so local-centric that they won't even consider someone relocating to the area. I had one prospect contact me and when I said that I was available ASAP for a phone interview, I never even got the courtesy of a response back. I'm waiting on 2 applications that are "with hiring managers" but wondering how long this could take. I know with my current job it took a few months before I got called in for an interview, but always thought that may have just been a fluke.

On that same note: if there is anyone here in the healthcare field (Valley, Dignity Health, etc.) that knows of any administrative positions open, let me know!

(just a side-note: I have a local address, that I've been using for the job search. I've been upfront and honest in my CV and cover letters, I figured that would be more than trying to apply form a NY address, but welcome to suggestions. And unfortunately, I cannot just come out there without at least one of us having a job prospect first)

thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 01:37 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,569,932 times
If you have a smart phone, download the pinger app. It will let you pick a local (vegas area code) phone number for your cell for free. That way you can put it on your resume. I had the same issue moving out to LA. It wasn't until I got a local address and phone number that I started getting responses to jobs! And that was AFTER I had already signed a contract for the giant school district. Once I got the local info on my resume, schools called daily to interview me. I stayed with a friend until I found the one I wanted and then found a place to live.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:43 PM

wouldn't that be the same as Google Voice? I see your point, but I assumed that basically no one changes their cell # anymore, so it shouldn't be an issue. But I will look into that as well and/or just set up a google voice #

Old 04-14-2014, 08:01 PM

200 posts, read 271,488 times
Default cheap phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyjones978 View Post
wouldn't that be the same as Google Voice? I see your point, but I assumed that basically no one changes their cell # anymore, so it shouldn't be an issue. But I will look into that as well and/or just set up a google voice #
You might consider a new burner phone that is only for job interviews. It does not have to be a smart phone with a monthly plan, just a $20 phone with a hundred minutes that you can buy more minutes easily when that runs out.

Choose wisely and you can buy a phone in NY and get a Vegas phone number.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:11 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,592,688 times
I would highly recommend against Google voice if that is going to be what potential employers call you on. I have to contact people via phone for my job and we have nothing but problems with google voice phone calls. Everything from dropped calls to failing to connect. You might miss a very important call.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:09 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,309,424 times
I remember you Daveyjones. Which means Ive been hanging out on this board way too long, although not very much these days.
What I would do is just be honest with potential employers, but say that you are definitely moving here, but you also need a job first. You will still have to come out for job interviews though. If you get several job prospects lined up, come out for a few days or a week if you can to go on interviews, etc. I wish you luck.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:37 AM

I remember you too, Pink. Haven't seen many of the old faces on here though. I figured things change over time.

I've been completely honest with potential employers, even tailoring my cover letter to say "I am currently in the process of relocating to Las Vegas from New York.... I am currently available for immediate telephone interviews and can be available to meet in person given 2-3 business days notice." - - the one person just never read the cover letter (obviously) because when I reiterated this again to her in my e-mail, I never head back from them. - - ah well.

I would gladly come out and batch interview if I could - I get more than enough sick time from my current job to be able to take a few days, but the issue I think is just getting them lined up to begin with. Our current lease in NYC is up on June 30th, so at some point before then we will have to decide how we want to proceed if we haven't gotten sufficient bites by then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas