Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 08:44 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I don't think love has anything to do with it. It's more because of the St. Valentines' Day Massacre.
Of course, you are correct! And, if it's their anniversary, makes even more sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 09:28 AM

402 posts, read 746,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
It is their 2 year anniversary.

I was in Chicago last year on Valentine's day. I bought an All Capone shirt. Seemed fitting.

Yes, 3 hours is about right for the museum. I've been twice
[off topic]

I'm not judging nor trying to pick on the person who posted this; I'm just trying to think about it differently. I understand that the mobster culture was an influential period in American history, and I get that it is interesting and people want to learn about it, but I don't understand why we glorify it so much. Is it because of all the movies and Boardwalk Empire that we find ourselves identifying with mobsters as opposed to seeing them as basically bullies, thieves and killers? Isn't it it odd that people will never wear a Michael Vick shirt because of the dogfighting situation, yet they'll have no problem wearing a mobster shirt?

[off topic]

Old 02-14-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherjaw View Post

I'm not judging nor trying to pick on the person who posted this; I'm just trying to think about it differently. I understand that the mobster culture was an influential period in American history, and I get that it is interesting and people want to learn about it, but I don't understand why we glorify it so much. Is it because of all the movies and Boardwalk Empire that we find ourselves identifying with mobsters as opposed to seeing them as basically bullies, thieves and killers? Isn't it it odd that people will never wear a Michael Vick shirt because of the dogfighting situation, yet they'll have no problem wearing a mobster shirt?
The "mob" is an important part of the history of Las Vegas, on several levels. I don't know that having a museum is "glorifying" that part of the history.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:19 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times
Is there a brothal museum?

Old 02-14-2014, 10:35 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Is there a brothal museum?
About 60 miles away.. Crystal, NV - Brothel Art Museum

Old 02-14-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The "mob" is an important part of the history of Las Vegas, on several levels. I don't know that having a museum is "glorifying" that part of the history.
Having a museum for educational purposes is not. Printing shirts of real-life bad guys kind of is. It's not like having a Darth Vader or Megatron shirt. Al Capone was a real life murderer. I think that the mob has an accepted stigma that many people find intriguing and wishing they were a part of, but if you break it down, I think it's a little odd. I know people who won't wear a Michael Vick jersey, but a Bugsy Siegel shirt, no problem.

Like I said, no judgment, I just thought it was an interesting phenomenon. It's not the first time I was alone in thinking something was interesting.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:12 PM

Do they sell such shirts at the Vegas museum? If not, then let's get back to the local topic.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:12 PM

Ok. Yay. It's free.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:31 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Do they sell such shirts at the Vegas museum? If not, then let's get back to the local topic.
They do. ALL kinds of stuff at the gift shop. Shirts, magnets, hats, shot glasses, etc. Anything you could think of.

As for "glorifying" gangsters...it isn't a new thing. Back when Capone was alive, he was treated by the press as a rockstar.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:36 AM

932 posts, read 2,348,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
They do. ALL kinds of stuff at the gift shop. Shirts, magnets, hats, shot glasses, etc. Anything you could think of.

As for "glorifying" gangsters...it isn't a new thing. Back when Capone was alive, he was treated by the press as a rockstar.
And, of course, the Al Capone bobblehead.
Attached Thumbnails
Free admission to Mob Museum on Friday-capone.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas