Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 10:51 PM

14 posts, read 120,311 times

Advertisements

Not hokey psychic. Serious 'light' people.

I moved here from Bucks Co. PA and there is a large 'new age' presence there. I don't see much here. I miss attending seminars and group classes.

Anybody know of any stores? local magazines?

TIA,
Mrs Mud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 11:11 PM

159 posts, read 478,931 times
I moved here from Bradley Beach, NJ (the Jersey Shore), in June, and I noticed the same thing. In Sept. I discovered the Spiritual Life Center, which is affiliated with the First Church of Religious Science (Science of Mind). The campus is at 1420 S. Harmon. It's truly a sacred space (of the kind you might be interested in) in Las Vegas. Who'd a-thunk it! There are two services on Sunday morning (at nine and ten thirty) and one on Wed. evenings at seven. The "church" is nondenominational, accepting, energizing, has GREAT music. There's a new age bookstore on the campus, and various classes and seminars, etc. , are held there.

Here's a link to their Web site: Spiritual Life Center

Check it out if you're so inclined. Even if it's not exactly what you're looking for, it might well point you in the right direction. Also, last year Hay House held their annual "You Can Do It" seminar at the Sands. Speakers included Wayne Dyer, Dr. Christianne Northrup, Doreen Virtue, Deepak Chopra, and a bunch of other people of that ilk. You have to keep an eye out for it, but there's a lot of light in Las Vegas.

Good luck in your search. Who knows, maybe I'll meet you one day at SLC!

Best,
Julia B.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:36 PM

Oy--sorry! I just noticed on your thread title that you were asking about bookstores. I've noticed a few Psychic Eye bookstores. I recall seeing one far up W. Charleston. Haven't been to any of them yet, so I can't say much more than that they exist.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:43 AM

Julia... I am glad you misread!! Thanks for the info. I am going to check it out. If I decide to go I'll PM you!!

Thanks again,

Mrs Mud

EDIT: I looked at the website and am so excited. It sounds like 'home'.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:30 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,393,597 times
Most people in Vegas just smoke some pot if they feel the need to be "spiritual".....lol.

There used to be a number of head shops in town that had some small "new age" sections, and there's The Psychic Eye Bookstore, which has several locations around the valley. Other than that, I don't think you'll find the large metaphysical/new age population like you had in places like New Hope, PA.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:22 AM

818 posts, read 3,699,517 times
Smoking pot to be spiritual? Condescending? A little bit.

I've attended the local Self Realization fellowship a few times, and found it to be wonderful. It might be something worth trying.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Mud View Post
Julia... I am glad you misread!! Thanks for the info. I am going to check it out. If I decide to go I'll PM you!!

Thanks again,

Mrs Mud

EDIT: I looked at the website and am so excited. It sounds like 'home'.
I had the same reaction: "I'm home!" And I'd never felt this way or found a place quite like this when I lived in NJ, NYC, rural PA (Osterhout), rural s.w. TX desert (Terlingua), or in Austin, TX. But in Las Vegas?! Huh?

That'll teach me to judge a book by its glittery cover--lol!

My relocation here has been very difficult, for reasons that I'll spare y'all from, but when I felt the bleakest and most dejected and despairing, lo and behold, an advertisement for Science of Mind magazine showed up in my mailbox. I started "tripping" around their Web site and saw the link for the LV church. Three days later, I was there. Coincidence? Personally, I think not....

It's still rough for me, but I feel much better and quite hopeful. I'm dying to tell you more about the services, etc., but I'm going to hold back because you/everyone deserves the opportunity to have their own unique first-time experience and take on the center.

The one thing I will say is don't be put off by the 10:30 service being described (on the site) as the youth service. It's filled with adults, and there's a nice surprise at the end.

If you do make it to SLC, I hope you love it as much as I/the rest of the congregation do!

Namaste!
Julia

Old 12-01-2007, 09:53 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,393,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
Smoking pot to be spiritual? Condescending? A little bit.

I've attended the local Self Realization fellowship a few times, and found it to be wonderful. It might be something worth trying.
Me, condescending? Never...... You must hame misinterpreted my post, Chest

Old 12-01-2007, 11:19 AM

OH MY GOSH!! Thank you all so much!! I have direction now. I have felt out of sorts since I moved here.

Julia, I will PM you after I attend and I am going to check out the other fellowship as well.

Pot?? Well, 20 years ago that would have worked

Thanks again...

Peace & Light,
Mrs Mud

Old 12-11-2007, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 14,070 times
Hi Mrs Mudd,

Just wanted to know if you have been to the Spiritual Life Center yet. After reading this thread, I looked over their website and it sounds like something I might enjoy. I have seen their ad in the "In Light Times" newspaper but never paid much attention to it. Any other feedback would be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas