Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 07:41 AM

9 posts, read 21,641 times

Advertisements

Is there a preference as to which direction your home should face regarding summer heat ?

Is installing solar panels to save on electric bills becoming popular like it has in California (with lots of rebate incentives)?
Should I only consider buying a single story due to hot summer nights in a 2 story?

I like what I read about Summerlin but with their higher prices, I'm a bit concerned if it will appreciate in value as much as other areas should I sell in approximately 5 years. (I'm looking to buy Single Family home in the $200-$300,000 price range).

Thank you very much for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 08:51 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,058,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petlovermarcie View Post
1) Is there a preference as to which direction your home should face regarding summer heat ?

2) Is installing solar panels to save on electric bills becoming popular like it has in California (with lots of rebate incentives)?
3) Should I only consider buying a single story due to hot summer nights in a 2 story?

I like what I read about Summerlin but with their higher prices, I'm a bit concerned if it will appreciate in value as much as other areas should I sell in approximately 5 years. (I'm looking to buy Single Family home in the $200-$300,000 price range).

[numbers added to quote]

1) Main living areas should face east or north if possible. West-facing is the worst from a "sun beating down on you during the hottest part of the day" standpoint.

2) No. Rebates are minimal. Last time I ran the numbers, solar isn't particularly cost-effective. (And I really want solar to be cost effective. But I don't have a magic financial wand.)

3) I wouldn't only consider single story. But your needs are different than mine.

I wouldn't get hung up on Summerlin. I find the area cliquish and annoying. I hate going out there on the odd occasion that I visit my aunt. I really hate shopping there. And let's face it, all the "nice" neighborhoods in the valley look like they were whacked with a clone stick, anyway. Except for the roundabouts, Summerlin is identical to the nicer sections of Henderson (which are less expensive -- no SIDs to pay for.)

Old 01-30-2014, 09:03 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,818,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
[numbers added to quote]

1) Main living areas should face east or north if possible. West-facing is the worst from a "sun beating down on you during the hottest part of the day" standpoint.

2) No. Rebates are minimal. Last time I ran the numbers, solar isn't particularly cost-effective. (And I really want solar to be cost effective. But I don't have a magic financial wand.)

3) I wouldn't only consider single story. But your needs are different than mine.

I wouldn't get hung up on Summerlin. I find the area cliquish and annoying. I hate going out there on the odd occasion that I visit my aunt. I really hate shopping there. And let's face it, all the "nice" neighborhoods in the valley look like they were whacked with a clone stick, anyway. Except for the roundabouts, Summerlin is identical to the nicer sections of Henderson (which are less expensive -- no SIDs to pay for.)
I went and visited Scoop's neighborhood a week or so ago, as far East as you can go past Nellis, Hollywood, etc... WOW. We're going to be buying in the next few years, and that area is in strong contention. I want the big Victorian or Pagoda house we saw

Old 01-30-2014, 09:08 AM

Shhhhhh!

Everyone thinks I live in the ghetto. Wait until AFTER I'm finished buying rental properties. THEN start crowing about East Las Vegas. Sheesh.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Shhhhhh!

Everyone thinks I live in the ghetto. Wait until AFTER I'm finished buying rental properties. THEN start crowing about East Las Vegas. Sheesh.
I mean. Yuck. hehe

Old 01-30-2014, 09:20 AM

Seriously, the time to buy was a few years ago. Those interesting houses on Radwick and Los Feliz don't go up for sale very often. The people who buy them are here for the duration. The pagoda house hasn't been listed since I moved here. But the Riverboat house on Radwick sold a few years back for less than seven figures. I was ripping hair out trying to figure out a way to swing it -- we had JUST bought this place. So the Riverboat House (with the attached ballroom) sadly is not mine to brag about. One of the really nice houses at the very end of Charleston sold in the 500K range during the crash. And the "up high above Owens" houses changed hands for less than 400K several times during the crash.

All of those places are settling back to normal prices. Every year you wait is likely* to add six figures to the purchase price for the houses on Radwick and Los Feliz.

* So says the magic 8-ball. YMMV.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Seriously, the time to buy was a few years ago. Those interesting houses on Radwick and Los Feliz don't go up for sale very often. The people who buy them are here for the duration. The pagoda house hasn't been listed since I moved here. But the Riverboat house on Radwick sold a few years back for less than seven figures. I was ripping hair out trying to figure out a way to swing it -- we had JUST bought this place. So the Riverboat House (with the attached ballroom) sadly is not mine to brag about. One of the really nice houses at the very end of Charleston sold in the 500K range during the crash. And the "up high above Owens" houses changed hands for less than 400K several times during the crash.

All of those places are settling back to normal prices. Every year you wait is likely* to add six figures to the purchase price for the houses on Radwick and Los Feliz.

* So says the magic 8-ball. YMMV.
I didn't see the riverboat house.. time for another trip. I love the Victorian and the other New England style houses. Even the Mid-century modern houses I saw, even though I don't particularly like that style. We were guessing it was the same builder that decided to put up a variety of home styles. They seem out of place in the valley, but it works for some reason!

Old 01-30-2014, 09:34 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,966,417 times
Quote:
Shhhhhh!

Ok, now I *really* need to come over and check it out. I've never been over to that side of the city.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I didn't see the riverboat house.. time for another trip. I love the Victorian and the other New England style houses. Even the Mid-century modern houses I saw, even though I don't particularly like that style. We were guessing it was the same builder that decided to put up a variety of home styles. They seem out of place in the valley, but it works for some reason!
Actually, people bought the lots and then had their own custom houses built. No developer spec-builds a pagoda or a riverboat or the Addams family house.

PS -- Mid century modern is great for desert living. At least some thought was given to how to wick heat AWAY from the living quarters. But if we were truly stuck out here for a long time, we'd build a Moroccan riad. THAT is the house to have in the desert.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:53 PM

698 posts, read 991,106 times
My comments embedded below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by petlovermarcie View Post
Is there a preference as to which direction your home should face regarding summer heat ? - We relocated to Vegas and bought in Aug. - My house faces N/E which means my master bedroom, game room, breakfast nook/kitchen area, living room and one bedroom all have S/W facing walls/windows. I hate this!!! Moved in in September and in September that side of the house was cooking, can't imagine what July and August have in store. Having awnings/patio covers installed to shade these areas. Wish I would have asked the this question prior to buying.

Is installing solar panels to save on electric bills becoming popular like it has in California (with lots of rebate incentives)? - Just started looking into this last week. If memory serves me correctly there's a 30% tax credit available. Leaning towards buying vs. leasing. So far I've calculated my payback at 8 years.

Should I only consider buying a single story due to hot summer nights in a 2 story? - We went single story for two reasons, energy efficiency and didn't want stairs

I like what I read about Summerlin but with their higher prices, I'm a bit concerned if it will appreciate in value as much as other areas should I sell in approximately 5 years. (I'm looking to buy Single Family home in the $200-$300,000 price range). - We looked at Summerlin when we first moved here, very nice area. However, our home there would have cost about $100,000+ more than where we purchased and getting almost 1/2 an acre would have been tough. We also really like our area, small community (less than 20 homes), rural (sometimes on walks you're dodging horse droppings), larger lots, neighbors aren't stacked on top of each-other.

Hope that helps, my .02
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas