Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2013, 10:24 PM

3 posts, read 5,542 times

Advertisements

Hellow there everyone, I will be moving to Nevada in 7/2014 and would like to get an advice on what type of small profitable business to start immediately when I arrived. I am a parttime college student (working on a Bsc 4 3yrs now, online), tax preparer, and own/run a tiny computer repair & sales shop. I am open to venture into other businesses(legal) ideal to the vegas environment since people are constantly visiting. I will be bringing along 3 display cases, # of accessories, about $15,000 from savings & asset liquidations, and an enterpreneurial spirit. Any help and idea will be greatly appreciated. I have heard that SALES of things vacationers/visisitors like counts. . . . . these can be order from Asia, no problem. Thanks.

Last edited by eccd001; 11-22-2013 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 02:58 AM

Hellow there everyone, I will be moving to Nevada in 7/2014 from Minneapolis and would like to get an advice on what type of small profitable business to start immediately when I arrived. I am a parttime college student (working on a Bsc 4 3yrs now, online), tax preparer, and own/run a tiny computer repair & sales shop. I am open to venture into other businesses(legal) ideal to the vegas environment since people are constantly visiting. I will be bringing along 3 display cases, # of accessories, about $10,000 from savings & asset liquidations, and an enterpreneurial spirit. Any help and idea will be greatly appreciated. I have heard that SALES of things vacationers/visisitors like counts. . . . . these can be order from Asia, no problem. Thanks.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:32 AM

1,825 posts, read 5,320,897 times
There is no answer to this question. If there was something widely known, that you could start with low capital and instantly profit, Vegas would be (already is) saturated with this business and only the best would remain. That is, unless you have something innovative or a unique approach, but since you are asking on a public forum you obviously don't.

Small businesses have a high failure rate and anything within proximity of tourists in Las Vegas has astronomical rent. Small risk equals small reward, but maybe you should try something safe until you are established here. Relying on a single small startup business to survive is a path to sleeping in the flood tunnels.

Perhaps try an EBay or Amazon store? Something you can run from your apartment or house without much overhead.

Last edited by Danknee; 11-23-2013 at 10:41 AM..

Old 11-23-2013, 06:41 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,143,095 times
As you are skilled in computer building and repair, I would concentrate on a location near UNLV or one of the community colleges. You could run the business out of your home and rent a small store - there are literally thousands of For Lease signs all over the valley.

Remember to check into business licenses with any one of the various municipalities, Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, Henderson, Boulder City, and Clark County.

Check out the computer repair ads in the Las Vegas Review/Journal which you can connect to online.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:42 AM

1. Thanks Danknee for your advice. It seems my path(business risk) is like sleeping in the flood tunnels sooner and later to swept away. Also, your remark about small risk equals small rewards hits home. Consequently, I will readjust my priorities and income generating options.

2. Thanks Sargentodiaz for your advice. Perhaps I should tap into my computer repair skills, but I have hear (to be corrected) that the majority of people in Las Vegas don't live there, are out on vacation and seeking a good time on a schedule. If the market (need) for such skill and potential customers exists, ofcourse I'll look into it and check out the Las Vegas Review/Journal. Thanks.

Last edited by eccd001; 11-24-2013 at 03:56 AM..

Old 11-24-2013, 10:43 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,171,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccd001 View Post
I have hear (to be corrected) that the majority of people in Las Vegas don't live there
We get a lot of tourists, but the Las Vegas valley has somewhere around two million residents. If you have a good service or product to offer, there are plenty of locals to keep you busy. Relying on tourist dollars is risky, as everybody and their brother are competing for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas