Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 12:24 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times

Advertisements

My Aunt-in-law is always telling me that now is the time to buy an already existing business in Vegas. Most business owners are desperate to sell at deep discount prices. I even met a guy selling a coin-op car wash and convenient store who is open to seller financing, or any other type of creative financing for that matter. Used to be pretty rare. I know most of these sellers most likely started their business during the height of the boom. Link below pretty much says what my aunt has been saying for a while now.

Report: Recovering economy may help local business sellers - Business - ReviewJournal.com

Quote:
Financing plays a role, too. If buyers can't borrow, the price they can afford to pay drops. And credit remains tight in Las Vegas. That's why Handelsman said more business owners are helping fund sales of their companies.
Quote:
There was just one hitch: Knight's bank wanted Berkow to kick in financing, as well.
"It's not what I intended," Berkow said. "If you can get all of your money out up front, why not? But once we found a bank, and that bank was quite insistent that I leave some money in the business, I said, 'OK.' I wasn't particularly concerned about leaving money behind, because it's a very solid business

Last edited by von949; 01-30-2012 at 12:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 08:32 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,535,283 times
the main issue I see is that money is very cheap to borrow at the moment.

I dont think the economy is going to really play a roll in business viability unless you are selecting a business that is in a niche that has been severely effected already over the last 5-8 years.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
the main issue I see is that money is very cheap to borrow at the moment.

I dont think the economy is going to really play a roll in business viability unless you are selecting a business that is in a niche that has been severely effected already over the last 5-8 years.
The niche I would stay away from would be the "luxury" niche. Anything to do with massages, spas, salons, pampering, etc. Those businesses were the first to get hit during the recession.

I'm more interested in the "necessity" niche. Real estate, laundromats, auto repair shop, maybe a car wash...stuff like that.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:17 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
The niche I would stay away from would be the "luxury" niche. Anything to do with massages, spas, salons, pampering, etc. Those businesses were the first to get hit during the recession.

I'm more interested in the "necessity" niche. Real estate, laundromats, auto repair shop, maybe a car wash...stuff like that.

I think that's the wrong way to go about starting/buying a business. Don't pick an industry and then go business shopping. Pick something you love to do, so all those hours you spend building your business (plan on 100+ hour weeks) aren't really "work."

Old 01-30-2012, 10:17 AM

1,376 posts, read 3,081,484 times
You're delusional if you don't think all businesses were/ are effected by the economy.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:45 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Most selling businessowners who started at economic peak are not going to sell at a good price. Also look at the dynamic for starting instead of buying. I'd argue starting is ideal now, buying you run into financing issues and owners who are going to value the business on what it once was, not what it is now. Further look at all the empty retail spots open. Now is the time you can lock in a super cheap lease. Landlords give a much better deal to new tenants than they do to renewing tenants. Cant blame them either, so many businesses are getting either efficient in their need for space and employees or they are getting good at doing it virtually as much as possible.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:52 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,340,294 times
I would say yes; however, you need to do your homework. I bought my busineess 4 years ago after deciding I was sick and tired of working for incompetent managers who talk out of both sides of their mouths. We were able to work out financing terms with a small down payment and after 3 years of a 5-year plan had the business fully paid off.

You need to find out everything about a business such as annual revenues, total expenses, profit margins on products, staffing, fleet maintenance (if applicable), facility hours and maintenance.

It's a lot of fun but I do wear a lot of hats. Best part is my weekends are free for my family.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I think that's the wrong way to go about starting/buying a business. Don't pick an industry and then go business shopping. Pick something you love to do, so all those hours you spend building your business (plan on 100+ hour weeks) aren't really "work."
I would not do that, I was just speaking in general. There is only one industry me and my wife and interested in and we are sticking with that only.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:07 PM

Nevada said to have nation's No. 3 tax climate for business - Business - ReviewJournal.com

Quote:
"The lesson is simple: A state that raises sufficient revenue without one of the major taxes will, all things being equal, have an advantage over those states that levy every tax in the state tax collector's arsenal," the foundation said in a statement.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:11 PM

74 posts, read 147,892 times
Probably Pawn Shops - since it's famous by TV! :beer:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: