Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 07:13 PM

1,825 posts, read 5,323,027 times

Advertisements

Last year I had to upgrade to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem and scored a used Cisco Model DPC3010 DOCSIS 3.0 8x4 Cable Modem for $15 off Amazon. Starting at $23 used now. $87 new if you insist.

It has been able to deliver Cox premier bonded speeds above what was advertised consistently. As long as a modem can deliver the advertised speeds...who cares about any other specs it has? Also I bought used because in my unofficial role as extended family tech support, I have never had a modem go bad...ever. Routers are another story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 08:07 PM

8,431 posts, read 4,605,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
Last year I had to upgrade to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem and scored a used Cisco Model DPC3010 DOCSIS 3.0 8x4 Cable Modem for $15 off Amazon. Starting at $23 used now. $87 new if you insist.

It has been able to deliver Cox premier bonded speeds above what was advertised consistently. As long as a modem can deliver the advertised speeds...who cares about any other specs it has? Also I bought used because in my unofficial role as extended family tech support, I have never had a modem go bad...ever. Routers are another story.

I have 20 years of IT/network experience and would agree, I've seen ONE cable modem go bad and it was mine. Routers seem to have a built in planned obsolescence of about 2 years. Dlink, Netgear, Linksys/Cisco it doesn't seem to matter, they all "wear out" after about two years. I would LOVE to see them all burn in hell if it was proved this was planned.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:12 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,736,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
I have 20 years of IT/network experience and would agree, I've seen ONE cable modem go bad and it was mine. Routers seem to have a built in planned obsolescence of about 2 years. Dlink, Netgear, Linksys/Cisco it doesn't seem to matter, they all "wear out" after about two years. I would LOVE to see them all burn in hell if it was proved this was planned.
I seem to lose both modems and routers within two years. This time around I built a router around the AMD E450 embedded board and running pfSense Open Source Firewall Distribution - Home and using a commercial Trendnet wireless access point and managed switch.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:58 AM

165 posts, read 210,021 times
Quote:

I bought that same modem from Amazon and I'm using it with Cox. It's working great and I don't have to pay them a rental fee.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:01 PM

327 posts, read 448,695 times
Default Have Cox phone service...

and want to drop it. I have an Obi100. With Google Voice soon no longer available for this, I'll probably go with Callcentric.

Last time I spoke to Cox (quite a while ago), they said if I drop their phone service I'd have to return their Arris telephony modem, and buy a modem from them - they will not accept a modem bought from anyone else.

Anyone heard any different re: outside purchase? Any trouble from Cox about this? I'm going to call them to cut it off this week. Appreciate any advice.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:53 PM

645 posts, read 710,829 times
cox got 300GB cap but they will just send email to remind you, but they won't slow/stop your service or do anything else is that right. I will be doing a lot of download from newsgroup, it will be way over 300GB I think!!!

If you use your own modem you can get faster speed than you paid for, how much faster for 25mb down? can't they also cap your dl speed from server room? but they don't I guess.

if I don't like cox and want to switch to centurylink later, can I also use docsis 3.0 for centurylink?

Old 01-11-2014, 06:48 AM

I'm not sure what they do when you reach the cap, kinda curious as I'm starting to use more online streaming services and I'm sure I'm approaching that cap.

If you go with a bundle and get phone service, you can't use your own modem. You will get their modem as it provides the VOIP necessary for said phone service. You are free to use your own router however.

No, you cannot use a cable modem of any type if you switch to CenturyLink as that is a DSL service. If you go that route, they will provide you a DSL modem which doubles as a non-wireless (last time I checked) router. If you want WiFi you will need to "bridge" the modem (effectively disabling the router functions) and add your wireless router.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:40 AM

1,825 posts, read 5,323,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
I'm not sure what they do when you reach the cap, kinda curious as I'm starting to use more online streaming services and I'm sure I'm approaching that cap.

If you go with a bundle and get phone service, you can't use your own modem. You will get their modem as it provides the VOIP necessary for said phone service. You are free to use your own router however.

No, you cannot use a cable modem of any type if you switch to CenturyLink as that is a DSL service. If you go that route, they will provide you a DSL modem which doubles as a non-wireless (last time I checked) router. If you want WiFi you will need to "bridge" the modem (effectively disabling the router functions) and add your wireless router.
I didn't even know I had a data limit until I got an email last month indicating I exceeded my usage limit. I just received a second overage email for squeaking over my limit the second month in a row. Their FAQ suggests they could terminate service to users that repeatedly exceed their limits. I hope not, but I guess I will be forced to try Centurylink if they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cox second overage notice
Thank you for choosing Cox, we appreciate your business!

We have provided notice to you recently regarding your monthly data usage, and as a reminder your current Cox High Speed Internet package includes a data plan of 300 Gigabytes. As of January 07, 2014, your household has used 311 Gigabytes of usage data in the current billing cycle.

Remember that you can view your data usage by logging into your account and checking your data usage meter in Internet Tools:
https://myaccount.cox.net/internetto...sage/usage.cox

Based on your usage needs, your online experience would be improved by moving to a package featuring even faster download speeds and a larger data plan. We have several Internet package options offering speed and data plans to meet a variety of needs. To learn more about special offers for all Internet package levels and to find the one which best fits your needs, check out our current upgrade offers at:
http://www.cox.com/chsiupgrade
Or please call us at 1-877-840-2777 for assistance in selecting the option that best fits your household's needs.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:50 AM

Just checked using Danknee's link. I thought I had the top tier but it looks like I get 250Gb. 10 days into my billing cycle and I've used about 4Gb so it looks like I've got a ways to go. I'll experiment using Amz Instant video and Netflix more to see the effect.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:05 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,736,393 times
Quote:
I didn't even know I had a data limit until I got an email last month indicating I exceeded my usage limit. I just received a second overage email for squeaking over my limit the second month in a row. Their FAQ suggests they could terminate service to users that repeatedly exceed their limits. I hope not, but I guess I will be forced to try Centurylink if they do.

In the past for me, Cox would throttle my speed next to nothing then release it on the first day of the new billing cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas