Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 06:56 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,683,223 times

Advertisements

I have taught in the Clark County School District for 15 years and this is what I can tell you:

CCSD, as a whole, is not a good school district. There are, however, over 300,000 students. It's as if you included Palo Alto and Oakland in the same district; you would think it was a bad district. There are first-rate public schools here where your children will be surrounded by students whose families value education and they have every opportunity to reach their academic goals no matter how high.

I will tell you that the emphasis that you place on education is more valuable than any amount of money you can pay to any snooty, elitist school. Boarding school, I think, is a terrible option. Unless you are living in a war torn area, you need to be there for your children. IMHO, nothing trumps the daily interaction, guidance, and love from a parent.

If you have more specific questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

On a side note, I noticed in one of your other posts that you were also considering Seattle. If that is still an option, I would give that serious consideration. (I love the Pacific Northwest)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 07:54 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,032,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I have taught in the Clark County School District for 15 years and this is what I can tell you:

CCSD, as a whole, is not a good school district. There are, however, over 300,000 students. It's as if you included Palo Alto and Oakland in the same district; you would think it was a bad district. There are first-rate public schools here where your children will be surrounded by students whose families value education and they have every opportunity to reach their academic goals no matter how high.

I will tell you that the emphasis that you place on education is more valuable than any amount of money you can pay to any snooty, elitist school. Boarding school, I think, is a terrible option. Unless you are living in a war torn area, you need to be there for your children. IMHO, nothing trumps the daily interaction, guidance, and love from a parent.

If you have more specific questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

On a side note, I noticed in one of your other posts that you were also considering Seattle. If that is still an option, I would give that serious consideration. (I love the Pacific Northwest)
Excellent Post!!

Old 11-01-2013, 08:15 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,873,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post

CCSD, as a whole, is not a good school district. There are, however, over 300,000 students. It's as if you included Palo Alto and Oakland in the same district; you would think it was a bad district.
Not quite. It's as if you included Fremont and Oakland in the same district. CCSD has no high school where student achievement is as high as Gunn or Palo Alto High in Palo Alto. Palo Verde High in Summerlin produced a whopping two National Merit Scholar semifinalists last year. Those two schools in Palo Alto I mentioned produced over thirty each, and have around 2/3rds as many students as Palo Verde, AND are held to a higher standard when taking the PSATs (you have to score higher in CA to be a National Merit semifinalist).

Quote:
There are first-rate public schools here where your children will be surrounded by students whose families value education and they have every opportunity to reach their academic goals no matter how high.
You and I must have very different definitions of "first rate". How can a school be "first rate" when it's only producing National Merit Scholarship semifinalists at 1/20th (or even lower) the rate as other top schools?

Old 11-01-2013, 08:31 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,827,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Not quite. It's as if you included Fremont and Oakland in the same district. CCSD has no high school where student achievement is as high as Gunn or Palo Alto High in Palo Alto. Palo Verde High in Summerlin produced a whopping two National Merit Scholar semifinalists last year. Those two schools in Palo Alto I mentioned produced over thirty each, and have around 2/3rds as many students as Palo Verde, AND are held to a higher standard when taking the PSATs (you have to score higher in CA to be a National Merit semifinalist).

You and I must have very different definitions of "first rate". How can a school be "first rate" when it's only producing National Merit Scholarship semifinalists at 1/20th (or even lower) the rate as other top schools?
Now you are being irrational. There are in this country a very limited set of public high schools that because of demographics have exceptional performance. That does not even make them particularly great schools. It simply says that the population is of a caliber that is rarely convened. There are as well the selective high schools in various areas that use a selective set from a large population to a achievbe impressive performance. Again it does not even testify that they are great schools. Merely that their population reflects the selectivity.

I would think however that throughout flyover country you will find only a few of either. So when one talks about good schools one is not referring to the rare exceptions achieved by demographics or selection.

I might also point out that Meadows achieved a higher percentage of National Merit Semi-Finalists than did Lynbrook or others in the silicon valley. So perhaps there is some hope for those of us in the boonies.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:40 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,560,075 times
The kids in Silicon Valley just mimic their parents hard working ethic but the path is available to any individual to learn the subject matter even on their own if they wished.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:59 PM

OP, I gave you my opinion as an insider who an expert in my field. Do what you wish with the information. I have no horse in your race and it will affect me not. I do wish you well whatever your decision.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:00 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,827,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
The kids in Silicon Valley just mimic their parents hard working ethic but the path is available to any individual to learn the subject matter even on their own if they wished.
Actually the super high school of either the demographic or selective sort can be a very big disadvantage. My family all came through Hunter College High School and Bronx High School of Science. And there are great disadvantages. For instance if you finish in the top ten at Bronx you can get immediate admission to any ivy league school. But if you finish in the 25 to 50 range you will not get in.

If however the same student went to a reasonable non selective high school they would end up valedictorian or runner up. That is virtually certain to end up with ivy league admittance. Hunter was a little different in that it had a strong propensity to feed Hunter College. So the ability to break into the Ivys went down further. It was also a conviction at Bronx that all the ivy league schools had admission constraints on Asians and Jews. I suspect this is true though the mechanisms used are not the obvious ones.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:48 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,015,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
You are not the first person here to disagree with the majority about the definition of "first-rate." Once someone has attended first-rate schools, "good" is no longer good enough.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:33 AM

393 posts, read 504,425 times
Test scores don't always mean a bad school/teachers. I taught in California for 34 years. When you have a high population of limited English learners and/or parents who are uneducated your test scores are usually low. If your child is smart, they will usually learn in a low performing school. It is important to make sure the teachers are teaching and keeping the kids at task.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:40 AM

^ Absolutely.

I've had students from the lowest performing schools go on to prestigious schools. And you can get a first-rate education here. Whether the student chooses to take advantage of the opportunity is up to them.

We have high schools that are in the top one-half of one percent in the nation. If someone wants to use a different metric for determining what the word first-rate means in their little world, I'm gonna let them. To those people it's really more about feeling superior than anything else.

A first-rate, excellent education can be had here if you want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas