Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 07:01 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,832,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVAllen View Post
CenturyLink's Basic Phone Service is 11.99/month. No long distance, no calling features, just a dial tone. But the service itself is bulletproof. When the power goes out, you'll still have phone service.
Nope. Pretty good but not bullet proof. I have lost my service that I know of three times over 10 years including once for over a day. And they have threatened to refuse to supply service to me if my final set of wires fails. They think it may have been improperly routed to the house and they are saying they will not fix it is it fails again.

I think that is their problem...So it may be fun if it does fail. I agree it will be difficult as the box is across the street and blocked by a lot of concrete.

Cox has lost the connection twice though in both cases service was degraded and not lost. On one of the occasions Cox actually initiated the service because our box was complaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 08:34 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,401,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
And they'll tell you they don't service the area.

Wrong. The history of the ILEC in Las Vegas from the 80s on is Centel->Sprint->Embarq->CenturyTel->CenturyLink.

Nevada Bell is the ILEC for a small number of customers in southern Nevada.
And before it was Centel it was The Central Telephone Company, and something else before that. And Henderson had their own telephone service so it was a long distance call when I moved here.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:52 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,795,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
And they'll tell you they don't service the area.

Wrong. The history of the ILEC in Las Vegas from the 80s on is Centel->Sprint->Embarq->CenturyTel->CenturyLink.

Nevada Bell is the ILEC for a small number of customers in southern Nevada.
Sorry, Centel was the incumbent carrier (ILEC) then in LV. Most major metro areas had a Bell company. Didn't realize LV was not serviced by the old Nevada Bell->Pacific Bell->Pacific Telesis->SBC. Actually, if you worked for the phone company way back, you know that Sprint was part of United Tel. Now I know why so many LV customers are dissatisfied.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:08 AM

Nevada Bell was up north. Reno had Nevada Bell. The phone company in Las Vegas was originally locally owned. Each time it changed hands it seemed to get more screwed up. That's why we went with AT&T when we did. Then Cox bundling came along and was cheaper. Now Cox has raised rates so they are now pretty high too. Tried going with AT&T's wireless system, but after one day, and one call, we realized it was not only a crappy signal, a medical device that always has to be on and able to send wouldn't work except on a landline. And my wife's business fax needs a landline too. AT&T took the device back but it was a lot of trouble getting our same number released again.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:30 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,799,842 times
I use MagicJack for my landline.. not good if the internet goes out, but that hasn't happened as of yet.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:51 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,561,603 times
If you want true POTS, only Centurylink offers that.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:14 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,610,624 times
Buzz, has your wife considered an internet fax service like e-fax? Very convenient. I never had an issue with it.

For landline, I use Cox.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Buzz, has your wife considered an internet fax service like e-fax? Very convenient. I never had an issue with it.

For landline, I use Cox.
Probably never heard of it. I'll ask her. Thanks.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:08 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,323,044 times
I'm just amazed that so many people still have landlines! (I haven't since about 2004)

Old 09-03-2013, 09:21 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,799,842 times
It's a better choice than a cell when working from home in my case. I use VOIP, so not technically a land line, but I like to keep my business calls separate from personal calls. I can close my office at the end of the day and not be on the "electronic leash".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas