Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 03:45 PM

229 posts, read 815,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia B. View Post
What do you guys/gals think about the Double Down Saloon, on Paradise, near the Hard Rock?
I used to spend a lot of my time at the Double Down. It's about the size of a 7-11 convenience store, and the bathrooms have no locks, and often no soap. The later it gets, the heavier the smoke cloud gets from all the smokers. It is about the dirtiest place I've been in, and then came back again and again.

Now, if that hasn't scared you off, it's always fun. They are a REAL punk bar that plays old, classic punk rock on the jukebox, has no craft or draft beer, and doesn't provide much in the way of faux atmosphere. The atmosphere is the people that go, and it gets better the later it gets. It's always been one of my favorite places because of the crowd. They seem to get it, and aren't there because it's the flavor of the month. The crowd is cool, no a-holes, no one looking to beat people up, just a good punk rock bar crowd. (I don't look "punk rock," and I've had no bad experiences there). A real rarity for the new Las Vegas. One that most people will not get or understand, but that's okay, we have plenty of bars for them.

Checking it out during the day is cool, but there will likely be only a few, if any, people in there and it will be very quiet. I don't go unless it's late, and I plan to be there for a long time.

It's in an area known as the "fruit loop" because of the circular streets and all the gay bars. I've been to some of the dumpier gay bars too. Those are always interesting and fun (even if you're not gay. I'm not and I've had good times in them). It's also walking distance to the Hard Rock and some other area bars, like the Hoffbrau House (not my favorite, but worth visiting at least once, especially if you have a large group). My point is, you could easily spend a night in that area, if you don't mind walking. Plan on taking a cab home though because I consider the bars in this area to be made of some of the heavier drinking types (at least for me they are).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 03:58 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,419,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackackack View Post
I used to spend a lot of my time at the Double Down. It's about the size of a 7-11 convenience store, and the bathrooms have no locks, and often no soap. The later it gets, the heavier the smoke cloud gets from all the smokers. It is about the dirtiest place I've been in, and then came back again and again.

Now, if that hasn't scared you off, it's always fun. They are a REAL punk bar that plays old, classic punk rock on the jukebox, has no craft or draft beer, and doesn't provide much in the way of faux atmosphere. The atmosphere is the people that go, and it gets better the later it gets. It's always been one of my favorite places because of the crowd. They seem to get it, and aren't there because it's the flavor of the month. The crowd is cool, no a-holes, no one looking to beat people up, just a good punk rock bar crowd. (I don't look "punk rock," and I've had no bad experiences there). A real rarity for the new Las Vegas. One that most people will not get or understand, but that's okay, we have plenty of bars for them.

Checking it out during the day is cool, but there will likely be only a few, if any, people in there and it will be very quiet. I don't go unless it's late, and I plan to be there for a long time.

It's in an area known as the "fruit loop" because of the circular streets and all the gay bars. I've been to some of the dumpier gay bars too. Those are always interesting and fun (even if you're not gay. I'm not and I've had good times in them). It's also walking distance to the Hard Rock and some other area bars, like the Hoffbrau House (not my favorite, but worth visiting at least once, especially if you have a large group). My point is, you could easily spend a night in that area, if you don't mind walking. Plan on taking a cab home though because I consider the bars in this area to be made of some of the heavier drinking types (at least for me they are).
sweet...DD is now at the tops of my places i need to check out.

thanks, ack!

Old 11-14-2007, 04:04 PM

515 posts, read 1,834,358 times
I'm gonna be at the Dive Bar Saturday night snappin some pics of some local music, and after reading this thread I can't wait to stop at the Pinball Museum before I go. Thanks for the info!!

Old 11-14-2007, 06:35 PM

818 posts, read 3,702,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Angry View Post
I'm gonna be at the Dive Bar Saturday night snappin some pics of some local music, and after reading this thread I can't wait to stop at the Pinball Museum before I go. Thanks for the info!!
It's located on the NW corner of Trop/Pecos right next to the movie theater. Check out the "Pinball Circus." It costs a dollar to play, but is the most intense pinball game I've ever played. It's one of only 3 in existence.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:28 PM

515 posts, read 1,834,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
It's located on the NW corner of Trop/Pecos right next to the movie theater. Check out the "Pinball Circus." It costs a dollar to play, but is the most intense pinball game I've ever played. It's one of only 3 in existence.
Thanks Chest!!!

Old 11-17-2007, 03:46 PM

8 posts, read 18,268 times
I've visited Las Vegas several times and I've enjoyed going to Big Dog's Brewing Company. It's on North Rancho, several really good micro brews. Ask for Sam, tell him TimBo sent you.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:59 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,407,509 times
I was over at Ralph Jones today and it occurred to me to ask ya'll if anyone ever goes to the Silver Dollar...or is it the Silver Saddle...at five points. It has been there for many years but I haven't been inside since the 70's. The outside looks the same as it always has. They used to have country western bands and was a good place to dance if you could stand C/W music. (I guess they dropped the "western" part and now it's just "country"). I suspect that now this place has switched to Mexican country music but I can't remember what that is called.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:54 PM

818 posts, read 3,702,610 times
It's still there. Can't say that I've ever gone inside though. I think it's the Silver Saddle, at Boulder Hwy/Charleston right?

Old 11-17-2007, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
It's still there. Can't say that I've ever gone inside though. I think it's the Silver Saddle, at Boulder Hwy/Charleston right?
Silver Saddle...where Charleston, Fremont, Eastern, 25th Street, and Boulder Highway come together...known as five points to old timers. Used to be two or or three C & W joints in that area. Silver Saddle may be more Hispanic now since that area has gone predominately Hispanic.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie timbo View Post
I've visited Las Vegas several times and I've enjoyed going to Big Dog's Brewing Company. It's on North Rancho, several really good micro brews. Ask for Sam, tell him TimBo sent you.
Several Big Dogs around town. The one on Rancho is the Draft House. Relatively good food too. Not too fancy but tasty and reasonable. Good micro brewed beers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: