Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 04:32 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,676,119 times

Advertisements

Use Carfax only to eliminate certain vehicles from your list as others have said it's no guarantee the vehicle will perform well over time.

IMHO what I look at on a Carfax aside from the obvious things like accidents/floods ect is how the repair history/ and miles driven between owners adds up. I eould avoid anything that shows repairs and then a couple of owners who put very few miles on the car between sales RED FLAG imho unless its a model typically not used as a daily driver. Some vehicles (Jeep Wranglers & muscle cars for example) tend to be traded more often than family cars, people buy them and discover the vehicle doesn't fit their lifestyle the way they had imagined or they are just enthusiasts who want something new so multiple owners wouldn't worry me on those as much as on your average car.

Another thing worth mentioning is just because a vehicle went to auction at some point it doesn't nesssicarly mean it's suspect...cars end up at auction for all sorts of legit reasons.

Yes older cars tend to have more issues as things begin to wear out but a 15 y.o car is also likely to have fewer ludicrously expensive parts to go out. Replacing ONE computer on some even 10 y.o models could easily cost more than a years worth of wear items on a very well maintained old car but it really depends HOW you will be using the vehicle on if an old car is even worth considering. If your going to be rapidly putting on a ton of miles, tend not to keep up on maintance, or drive like a typical Las Vegan, go newer. Older cares tend to need a bit more tlc if you want them to last.

Used cars are ALWAYS a bit of a crap shoot. Check out some youtube vids on prepurchase inspections and dont pay someone to do what you could easily do yourself (some of the prepurchase inspection out there are just a ploy to take your money...know what you want and what you are getting.

AND

HAVE IT SCANNED FOR CODES EVEN WITH A CURRENT SMOG and I wouldn't buy from a "flipper" Registration should be in the sellers name and they should be able to provide SOME type of maintance record in their name. Don't even consider the this is my aunt's sister's girlfriend's car that she sent me from Cali to help her sell.

All of this is just my opinion but I've yet to get burned buying a used vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 01:31 PM

41 posts, read 52,448 times
If buying from a private party, keep in mind NV requires this insane thing called a movement permit.

You can't drive a car you just bought without it and you can't get the permit without having bought the vehicle. So, you have to buy the vehicle, leave it at the seller's house (or wherever you bought it), go to the DMV (with proof of insurance?), wait in line for hours for your movement permit and then go back to get your newly purchased vehicle. You then have to get your smog check and then go back to the DMV, do the VIN check? and then wait in line for hours again to get your plates. Crazy.

I think the prev owner can get a smog check before you buy, so that could save you a trip.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:43 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,007,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupOnoodle View Post
If buying from a private party, keep in mind NV requires this insane thing called a movement permit.

You can't drive a car you just bought without it and you can't get the permit without having bought the vehicle. So, you have to buy the vehicle, leave it at the seller's house (or wherever you bought it), go to the DMV (with proof of insurance?), wait in line for hours for your movement permit and then go back to get your newly purchased vehicle. You then have to get your smog check and then go back to the DMV, do the VIN check? and then wait in line for hours again to get your plates. Crazy.

I think the prev owner can get a smog check before you buy, so that could save you a trip.
wrong.. private buyer can give you a bill of sale and you insure it. yes you need a movement permit... YOU MAKE AN APPOINTMENT.. (less than 15 minutes)...

wow big deal.. i don't know of another state where you can drive a car, newly purchased or not, that you have not insured and do not have plates on

Old 07-24-2016, 12:44 PM

41 posts, read 52,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
wrong.. private buyer can give you a bill of sale and you insure it. yes you need a movement permit... YOU MAKE AN APPOINTMENT.. (less than 15 minutes)...
Not sure what part of my post your 'wrong' is referring to.

Quote:
wow big deal.. i don't know of another state where you can drive a car, newly purchased or not, that you have not insured and do not have plates on
Pretty much every other state I've lived in; IL, FL, TN. A signed title and/or bill of sale covers you for 14-30 days. I've also never had insurance with a company that didn't cover any new purchase for 7 days. Enough time to get the car home and call them or bring the car by and give them the VIN.

You suggest making an appointment at the DMV. That would shorten the waiting at the DMV, but still doesn't eliminate all the driving around, which of course you can't do with the car you just bought. I can't find the details, but I'm betting you need an insurance card with the new car's VIN. So now you won't be buying the car on the weekend because you aren't likely to get an insurance card before you buy and most ins companies aren't open on the weekend. Also, can you make an appointment the same day you buy the car? If not, you'll either have to leave the car at the seller's house until you can see the DMV or you would need to "pre-schedule" with the dmv and then cancel if you end up not buying the car.

Bottom line, it's silly and sounds like it would be a major pain. I've looked into picking up a fun project car, but all the running around (probably using Uber) and leaving the car at the seller's home after I've paid for the car puts me off of the idea. I guess buying and having the car towed to your home might work. I'm guessing most people just drive the car home illegally.

ETA - Looking at the DMV site, maybe you don't need proof of ins to get the movement permit? Not sure.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:33 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,032,119 times
Quote:
ETA - Looking at the DMV site, maybe you don't need proof of ins to get the movement permit? Not sure.
You must have insurance.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupOnoodle View Post
Not sure what part of my post your 'wrong' is referring to.

Pretty much every other state I've lived in; IL, FL, TN. A signed title and/or bill of sale covers you for 14-30 days. I've also never had insurance with a company that didn't cover any new purchase for 7 days. Enough time to get the car home and call them or bring the car by and give them the VIN.

You suggest making an appointment at the DMV. That would shorten the waiting at the DMV, but still doesn't eliminate all the driving around, which of course you can't do with the car you just bought. I can't find the details, but I'm betting you need an insurance card with the new car's VIN. So now you won't be buying the car on the weekend because you aren't likely to get an insurance card before you buy and most ins companies aren't open on the weekend. Also, can you make an appointment the same day you buy the car? If not, you'll either have to leave the car at the seller's house until you can see the DMV or you would need to "pre-schedule" with the dmv and then cancel if you end up not buying the car.

Bottom line, it's silly and sounds like it would be a major pain. I've looked into picking up a fun project car, but all the running around (probably using Uber) and leaving the car at the seller's home after I've paid for the car puts me off of the idea. I guess buying and having the car towed to your home might work. I'm guessing most people just drive the car home illegally.

Can you point to a site that will verify all you need to drive in IL FL or TN is a signed title or bill of sale?

Old 07-26-2016, 08:21 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,580,400 times
The last car I sold, the buyer (who brought a friend) paid me, I wrote up a bill of sale. He then called his insurance company and they emailed him proof of coverage. We left the vehicle at my house and he followed me to the DMV. I turned in my plates, signed over the title and he registered it on the spot. No VIN inspection as it was an in-state transaction. He followed back to my house and off he drove with the car. It took about 2 hours, most of which was driving to the DMV and waiting in line. An appointment would shave off maybe 45 minutes.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
The last car I sold, the buyer (who brought a friend) paid me, I wrote up a bill of sale. He then called his insurance company and they emailed him proof of coverage. We left the vehicle at my house and he followed me to the DMV. I turned in my plates, signed over the title and he registered it on the spot. No VIN inspection as it was an in-state transaction. He followed back to my house and off he drove with the car. It took about 2 hours, most of which was driving to the DMV and waiting in line. An appointment would shave off maybe 45 minutes.
Actually this year I've done 3 appointments... All in and out in less than 30 minutes.. The last one was 9 minutes!! The appointment system is great.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:00 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,032,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
No smog check?

Old 07-26-2016, 11:06 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,580,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
No smog check?
Thinking back, I think what happened is they didn't actually get plates, they got a temp movement permit so they could go get the smog, return then register it. But the sale and my "unregistering it" was recorded so that was the end of my responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas