Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 04:08 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,148,173 times

Advertisements

I read something the other day that said that the new owners were interested in changing the format, and that they were not sure if they even wanted it to be a regular mall anymore. That whole area is a mess. Because of its proximity to unlv, it's ripe for gentrification. As it stands now, it's a dangerous part of town.

I used to work over there. 146 registered sex offenders in that zip code, and those were the law-abiding sex offenders who actually registered like they are supposed to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 04:24 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,173,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I read something the other day that said that the new owners were interested in changing the format, and that they were not sure if they even wanted it to be a regular mall anymore. That whole area is a mess. Because of its proximity to unlv, it's ripe for gentrification. As it stands now, it's a dangerous part of town.

I used to work over there. 146 registered sex offenders in that zip code, and those were the law-abiding sex offenders who actually registered like they are supposed to.
I read that too. Something about adding medical services or something to that nature. Doctor offices?

Old 08-06-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I read that too. Something about adding medical services or something to that nature. Doctor offices?
I doubt if it's going to be successful as physicians offices. You know those two big black medical buildings across from Sunrise hospital? The vacancy rate is ridiculous and it used to be a medical hub. Doctors are bailing for the burbs and the outlying hospitals like Centennial Hills, Summerlin, etc.

Can't blame them really. At my former job on Maryland, the early crew had to roust the homeless people from behind the building every morning. They weren't always real happy about being awakened. There were multiple car thefts from our parking lot, and the convenience store up the street got robbed constantly.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:10 PM

611 posts, read 952,742 times
Since the homeless are already there, maybe they should make it into a HUGE homeless housing building.

Canadian Press (An article regarding Woodward's Department Store....and it was huge)
A derelict heritage building located in Vancouver's drug-infested Downtown Eastside was billed Wednesday as the shabby neighbourhood's ticket to prosperity. B.C. Premier Gordon Campbell said the provincial government has agreed to sell the vacant Woodward's building to the city of Vancouver for $5.5 million. Vancouver Mayor Larry Campbell said the Woodward's deal is a major step toward cleaning up the city's skid row. It could soon be the site of commercial and retail businesses and social housing. Premier Campbell, a former Vancouver mayor, said the government has tried to sell the property but realized it was best to turn that job over to the city. Mayor Campbell said development of the former Woodward's department store is seen as a key to revitalizing Vancouver's troubled Downtown Eastside. "The problems of the Downtown Eastside are not just Vancouver's problems, they are British Columbia's problems," he said.
"We can find poverty and addiction in almost every community in this province, but the worst poverty and the most destructive cycles of addiction and misery are concentrated in our city's Downtown Eastside." The 1903 heritage building became a symbol of homelessness and affordable housing after the Woodward's chain went bankrupt in 1993.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:36 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,173,717 times
Quote:
I doubt if it's going to be successful as physicians offices. You know those two big black medical buildings across from Sunrise hospital? The vacancy rate is ridiculous and it used to be a medical hub. Doctors are bailing for the burbs and the outlying hospitals like Centennial Hills, Summerlin, etc.

Can't blame them really. At my former job on Maryland, the early crew had to roust the homeless people from behind the building every morning. They weren't always real happy about being awakened. There were multiple car thefts from our parking lot, and the convenience store up the street got robbed constantly.
I was thinking, 'The Boulevard Medical Mall' had a good ring to it...maybe not.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:23 PM

That part of town used to be the shizznitz. My uncle had a gorgeous two-story apartment with a real-brick wall that ran all the way up to the loft on the second floor. There were record stores, thriving college restaurants, cool punk places to get your hair cut,etc, in that area.

The Elephant Bar on Maryland was a thriving hotspot and it was safe for a teenage girl to walk around there alone at night.

Now, grown men are afraid to walk to their cars alone on Maryland between Charlestson and Flamingo. That is one thing I hate about Las Vegas. We just allow the bad area to expand and keep moving further out. Eventually, we will run out of valley.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:38 PM

445 posts, read 1,330,555 times
Quote:
I was thinking, 'The Boulevard Medical Mall' had a good ring to it...maybe not.
And, a flashing neon sign that reads: "Bullet Holes Repaired Here"...maybe not.

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 08-07-2013, 03:34 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,496,482 times
The Boulevard Mall is more like the Ghetto Factory now, during the 80's with their new wing, it was still nice but it just went downhill from then on. Meadows Mall is paradise compared to the Boulevard Mall.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
The Boulevard Mall is more like the Ghetto Factory now, during the 80's with their new wing, it was still nice but it just went downhill from then on. Meadows Mall is paradise compared to the Boulevard Mall.
Yeah, The Medows mall, or the "ghettos mall" as the local brats like to call it, is still inhabitable. I read somewhere that large indoor shopping malls are suffering all over the US. People are enjoying the open air malls like the ones at Tivoli and Town Center more than the old model. This s why I think they made a big mistake when they decided to convert The District to a vehicle friendly, rather than pedestrian friendly space.

Everyone, please forgive my numerous typos. I got a new accessory keyboard to go with this IPad and it hates me.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:35 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,481,088 times
Quote:
Yeah, The Medows mall, or the "ghettos mall" as the local brats like to call it, is still inhabitable. I read somewhere that large indoor shopping malls are suffering all over the US. People are enjoying the open air malls like the ones at Tivoli and Town Center more than the old model. This s why I think they made a big mistake when they decided to convert The District to a vehicle friendly, rather than pedestrian friendly space.

Everyone, please forgive my numerous typos. I got a new accessory keyboard to go with this IPad and it hates me.
A few of the old malls in Phoenix have been "turned inside out" into those power center type shopping facilities, with very little if any "indoor" space left, and more store pads out in what was just parking. One of those is one of the busiest shopping areas in town, judging by the number of cars there all the time. Sounds like the problem with doing that with this mall is whether the stores are willing to go in there with the possibility of turning the area around. We have one mall like that in Phoenix, the whole area has gone more than a bit downhill, and the way the mall was originally constructed, you'd have to tear it down and start over, and there's no incentive to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas