Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2013, 03:06 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,289,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
That thread isn't exactly heavy with information.

So far, it's all been speculation. I hope someone in the trade chimes in as to why the main panel is outside on the garage wall. Surely someone knows an electrician.
Sorry if you felt my response was speculation????

http://scotthansen.net/Const_Tech/einspector.pdf
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 03:25 PM

204 posts, read 318,837 times
This brings back memories of moving here and popping a circuit breaker only to search the house and not be able to find the panel. I looked everywhere! I couldn't believe it was on the outside of the house where anyone could access it (if it wasn't locked).

Old 08-03-2013, 03:42 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,039,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
First, all someone has to do is pull the meter to cut power. Years ago the meter was, and is point of service. Then feeders would go to a fuse box, and or breaker box either in the garage, or even a closet within the home. Branch circuits would take off from there. In a cost cutting move the feeders and additional panel were combined into one. I personally have a lock on my panel to keep kids, or whomever from playing with the breakers. However, as previously stated, all you have to do is pull the meter to cut power.

So, what's the big deal about going outside to tend to breaker issues?
"All someone has to do is pull the meter"......Really? That's all? Is that as easy as flipping a breaker?

It is a big deal going outside to check the breakers if you have to tramp through a couple feet of snow or a drenching rain.....instead of just walking over to check the box without having to put on boots, a coat or rain gear.....and not having to fumble around with a lock.

And......I must admit I am a novice.....but I wouldn't feel too comfortable playing with electric breakers while dripping wet or standing in rain puddles or a bank of snow.

As far as clearance to the breaker box.....I am from Ohio.....every breaker box I ever encountered was in a basement.....and even in the most untidy basements.....there is always a clear path to the breaker box. I have NEVER heard of not having a clear path to a breaker box being a safety issue......like misplacing the key to the lock on the breaker box could be.

You haven't given one good reason for the breaker box to be put outside in the elements, IMO.....other than saving the builder a few bucks.....which makes sense....but doesn't even begin to outweigh the safety factor of having the breaker box in a dry, safe, yet easily accessible, environment.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
"All someone has to do is pull the meter"......Really? That's all? Is that as easy as flipping a breaker?

It is a big deal going outside to check the breakers if you have to tramp through a couple feet of snow or a drenching rain.....instead of just walking over to check the box without having to put on boots, a coat or rain gear.....and not having to fumble around with a lock.

And......I must admit I am a novice.....but I wouldn't feel too comfortable playing with electric breakers while dripping wet or standing in rain puddles or a bank of snow.

As far as clearance to the breaker box.....I am from Ohio.....every breaker box I ever encountered was in a basement.....and even in the most untidy basements.....there is always a clear path to the breaker box. I have NEVER heard of not being able to easily access a breaker box being a safety issue......like misplacing the key to the lock on the breaker box could be.

You haven't given one good reason for the breaker box to be put outside in the elements, IMO.....other than saving the builder a few bucks.....which makes sense....but doesn't even begin to outweigh the safety factor of having the breaker box in a dry, easily accessible, environment.
Geez, I have too go outside and wipe the snow off my satellite dish, but not once did I have to go outside to reset a breaker. You people don't understand all that goes into this. If you're tripping breaker you have a problem and should call an electrical contractor to fix your overloading issue.

If your panel is in a basement most likely you're in an older home, or I just don't understand the East. Here, we have an occupancy separation requirement between the garage, and residence (follow along here). The NEC also requires said clearance in front of the panel. The code calls for one side of said separation to have the materials of a rated assembly. This is usually 5/8" drywall. The code also says you can't have openings in this membrane greater than 16 sq in's, or 4"x4". Without going in to great detail about all the possible (I say possible, because in my opinion it's more mis-interpretation of code) added costs involved in complying with membrane, and clearance issue the panel has been condensed to one unit facing outward away from possible rated drywall membranes.

Now, a majority probably don't have a clue what half of that means, and can pick it apart, because I didn't include every scenario, but it is reality. If you got a kid tripping your breakers put a lock on it like I did. If you're tripping breakers you do not have a sound functioning system.

Annie, I want to add this. We had -11, and 10" of snow standing last year, and didn't go above 32 for 40 days. We still went outside?

They've added a security band of higher quality since my Smart meter was installed. The old ones could be flipped upside down and the meter would run backwards. If a theif wanted in a pair of aviation snips and it's gone, and no more power was my point.

Last edited by MrWillys; 08-03-2013 at 04:11 PM..

Old 08-03-2013, 04:09 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
The thread someone else posted earlier (Thanks!) isn't the one I was looking for.

Here's the discussion I was thinking of in the Phoenix forum, FWIW:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...ide-house.html

Last edited by observer53; 08-03-2013 at 05:12 PM..

Old 08-03-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Geez, I have too go outside and wipe the snow off my satellite dish, but not once did I have to go outside to reset a breaker. You people don't understand all that goes into this. If you're tripping breaker you have a problem and should call an electrical contractor to fix your overloading issue.

If your panel is in a basement most likely you're in an older home, or I just don't understand the East. Here, we have an occupancy separation requirement between the garage, and residence (follow along here). The NEC also requires said clearance in front of the panel. The code calls for one side of said separation to have the materials of a rated assembly. This is usually 5/8" drywall. The code also says you can't have openings in this membrane greater than 16 sq in's, or 4"x4". Without going in to great detail about all the possible (I say possible, because in my opinion it's more mis-interpretation of code) added costs involved in complying with membrane, and clearance issue the panel has been condensed to one unit facing outward away from possible rated drywall membranes.

Now, a majority probably don't have a clue what half of that means, and can pick it apart, because I didn't include every scenario, but it is reality. If you got a kid tripping your breakers put a lock on it like I did. If you're tripping breakers you do not have a sound functioning system.

Annie, I want to add this. We had -11, and 10" of snow standing last year, and didn't go above 32 for 40 days. We still went outside?
I believe you are talking about the fire-rated safety wall required between an attached garage and a house?

If you are......electrical lines leading to a breaker box to not require more room than 4x4 inches. The wires/cables go through the wall and the box itself is mounted on a cement block wall in the basement. {actually a wooden board is against the cement blocks and the electrical box is mounted to that} There is no drywall near the breaker box. Of course, not all homes have a breaker box on the same side as the garage. They still have the breaker box on an outside basement wall mounted to the cement block wall in the basement.

Over the years I have had many different reasons for checking the breaker box.....sometimes just wanting to cut off power to a certain room, etc.

And yes.....we spend a great deal of time outdoors every winter, in the snow, shoveling the driveway, porch and deck.....but..... we also immensely enjoy the convenience of parking our car in an attached garage....getting to and from a car that is not covered in ice and snow without tramping through the snow or rain!

IMO....the layout of a home is all about convenience.....like having the breaker box inside the house where it is nice and dry and I don't have to worry about locking it up!

Old 08-03-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I believe you are talking about the fire-rated safety wall required between an attached garage and a house?

If you are......electrical lines leading to a breaker box to not require more room than 4x4 inches. The wires/cables go through the wall and the box itself is mounted on a cement block wall in the basement. {actually a wooden board is against the cement blocks and the electrical box is mounted to that} There is no drywall near the breaker box. Of course, not all homes have a breaker box on the same side as the garage. They still have the breaker box on an outside basement wall mounted to the cement block wall in the basement.

Over the years I have had many different reasons for checking the breaker box.....sometimes just wanting to cut off power to a certain room, etc.

And yes.....we spend a great deal of time outdoors every winter, in the snow, shoveling the driveway, porch and deck.....but..... we also immensely enjoy the convenience of parking our car in an attached garage....getting to and from a car that is not covered in ice and snow without tramping through the snow or rain!

IMO....the layout of a home is all about convenience.....like having the breaker box inside the house where it is nice and dry and I don't have to worry about locking it up!
First, basements in the West (with the exception of older homes in the North West) are really rare. As I stated earlier in the thread. We used to have a service box with meter (typically on a garage wall) with feeders going to a panel inside the garage. Due to membrane (openings in suedo rated walls) issues, and a desire for simplification it got changed to the stand alone single unit at the exterior. I have issues with those who interpret the materials of a rated wall on one side as a true rated wall. Some inspectors were going crazy out here when it had never proven to be a real life safety issue. I saw it as abuse of authority.

I guess I just feel there's more important issues with the building codes to resolve than this. Like having a GFCI outlet in one room that allowed to serve others as a major pet peeve of mine. Honestly, I can't see any reason, or benefit to turning off a breaker except to service said circuit.

My 2 wheel drive truck sits outside, and I keep our driveway and walks clear. If I need to I bring out the old Willys from the garage, but it's really coming down when that happens.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
First, basements in the West (with the exception of older homes in the North West) are really rare. As I stated earlier in the thread. We used to have a service box with meter (typically on a garage wall) with feeders going to a panel inside the garage. Due to membrane (openings in suedo rated walls) issues, and a desire for simplification it got changed to the stand alone single unit at the exterior. I have issues with those who interpret the materials of a rated wall on one side as a true rated wall. Some inspectors were going crazy out here when it had never proven to be a real life safety issue. I saw it as abuse of authority.

I guess I just feel there's more important issues with the building codes to resolve than this. Like having a GFCI outlet in one room that allowed to serve others as a major pet peeve of mine. Honestly, I can't see any reason, or benefit to turning off a breaker except to service said circuit.

My 2 wheel drive truck sits outside, and I keep our driveway and walks clear. If I need to I bring out the old Willys from the garage, but it's really coming down when that happens.
Sounds like the main reason breaker boxes are put outside out west is due to bureaucratic bull****.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:04 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,796,460 times
First off it is not really true. I see breaker boxes all sorts of places...I do see the main electrical cutoff being with the meter. And meter location in residential housing is generally specified by the supplying utility as an external wall.

Past that however a thousand flowers bloom. My home has main panel on the garage external wall and sub panels on the garage interior and the swimming pool equipment enclosure.

Saw a big house with a simple disconnect at the meter and a half dozen panels mounted elsewhere including a big one in the master bedroom study.

I would think they are driven to the external location by the meters. Meter location is driven by the pwer company.

They are in no way even remotely water proof...though they are shielded from direct exposure.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Sounds like the main reason breaker boxes are put outside out west is due to bureaucratic bull****.
Please don't take me out of context. If you put an opening greater than 16 sq in's it's subject to what's called 5 siding where the entire panel is enveloped in a drywall box. This brings other issues like penetrating the membrane must meet current F & T rated penetration requirements.

My argument was that if only the materials of one side of a rated assembly is required then it is not a true rated assembly subject to the above. Also, because there's never been a known issue, and it is only made technical it should have been reconsidered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas