Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 04:10 PM

64 posts, read 193,397 times

Advertisements

Whenever there's water in it, it's always wet.

Also, there's that thing about surprise attacks...
Attached Thumbnails
Down side to owning a pool?-sahrky.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 05:18 PM

16 posts, read 31,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
At the moment we are renting. I'm not sure what the HOA fees are here in our neighborhood, but I think we're going to find out, as we'd like to buy here. We moved from New England and wanted to rent to get a feel for the area, but this seems to be the neighborhood we favor after investigating the others over the past 4 or 5 weeks. But it makes sense that the HOA would be higher for a pool, as, other than maintaining the common areas of which there don't appear to be many, that would be the only other expense.
We have the same hoa set up with three pools, hot tub, BBQ, playground, fitness center, and common areas/parks and my neighborhood is gated. Hoa fee: 68.50 a month. Another reason I love living in Mountains edge.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:38 PM

515 posts, read 1,181,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
EPA Signature Lab Test

Read this article and you will know the downsides of owning a salt water pool. You decide
Just remember that it was written by and is hosted on a website for company that sells a competing water treatment system. Also, what is with the "EPA Signature Lab Test" title of that page? The EPA isn't even mentioned in the text - why would the website even include that as the title? Seems manipulative.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:43 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,722,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiminani View Post
Just remember that it was written by and is hosted on a website for company that sells a competing water treatment system. Also, what is with the "EPA Signature Lab Test" title of that page? The EPA isn't even mentioned in the text - why would the website even include that as the title? Seems manipulative.
I'm not sure, but I have a lot of experience with salt water pools in Las Vegas and I really agree with what the article says. But its all up to the pool owner to decide on the costs vs benefits.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:31 PM

700 posts, read 1,331,527 times
I had a small baby when I decided to forgo purchasing with a pool. I know there is no substitute for good parenting and there are plenty of safety measures you can incorporate, but I couldnt live with myself if something were to happen to her in that regard. That would be one of the few downsides. If she was older when I was buying I would have made it a priority.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:08 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,036,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Huh. I wonder where I got that idea? You had a licensed gas contractor do it, right?
Yes and a permit for the line

Old 07-14-2013, 11:16 PM

261 posts, read 423,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robojester View Post
Does anyone heat there pool ?
Many do up here .
I have a couple of times since we moved in in March. We had guests and the temp was around 78 thanks to the solar blanket so I set the temp for 83. We have a small pool and it only added, maybe, ten dollars to the gas bill.

I was thinking of getting the solar roof thingy but if using the gas heater is so cheap I don't think I will bother.

Solar blankets don't work as well out here as in more humid climates. Mine only adds about 5 to 10 degrees and that is only if it isn't windy.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:35 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,496,710 times
I pay $85.00 in association dues to cover many things including a pool and jacuzzi. It's worth it but I don't think I want to spend money to have a jacuzzi and a pool installed if I ever own a detached home. My sister has one and they hardly use it.
Monthly maintenance+electricity+cost of pool and jacuzzi+repairs if anything breaks down = $$$$$$$$.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:24 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,439,868 times
The problem with community pool is that you have to put up with neighbors kids playing all summer there, when you just want to relax by the pool.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:27 AM

2,565 posts, read 2,748,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Not even close. I added a heater after it was built $1600. I have spa jets IN the pool. I heat it to 102 degrees and I have a giant spa.

Do you remember who did the heater for you? I need someone to add a heater to our pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas