Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 10:11 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,417,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackackack View Post
Buzz, the place you were describing, Cafe Espresso Roma, is gone. It packed up many years ago. It was one of the best parts of Las Vegas. Lots of great regional music acts, and an interesting place to sit and have a great cup of whatever and listen to and meet some interesting people. Now it is a Greek restaurant (decent food, but poor use of atmosphere. The beer pong, I mean ping pong table in the middle of the place was distracting).

I know we've established in the past that Las Vegas is not transient (I still disagree, but concede the point), but why don't we have more independent places like coffee shops? (I argue it's the transient nature of the residents here.) Go visit any large city and you will find plenty of them (independent coffee shops). I was in Portland recently where finding a Starbucks is not as easy. Loads of independent coffee houses there. I noticed the same thing (not quite as many though) on recent trips to San Francisco and Seattle.
i'd be willing to argue that a coffee shop has a hard time anywhere that has summers like we do here (hard to encourage people to drink a hot beverage when the temp is over 100 ). don't recall many of them in LA either (aside form the chains...they are everywhere).

a comparison against the pacific NW (even NorCal) is kinda unfair as the weather is cool-cold for a lot of the year...much more conducive to coffee drinking.

just a guess though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 10:13 AM

359 posts, read 1,408,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Chicken AND waffles? What kind of combination is that? Sounds yucky.
lol you dont know what your missing ! in all seriousness, its actually pretty good. the environment is pretty awesome too. they make you feel at home.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:22 AM

818 posts, read 3,700,314 times
Portland has a different philosophy. They cherish their independent businesses and many people go out of their way to avoid national chains as a matter of principle.

I was a big fan of the independent cafes, all of which are now gone, because they hosted art exhibits, open mics, live music and other cultural events. Starbucks by comparison hosts a bunch of jerks with laptops running pyramid scams.

For Henderson folk, I noticed a place on Horizon Ridge just north of Horizon called Saxby's, but it struck me as a Sbux clone, much like Java Detour and It's A Grind

Old 11-08-2007, 10:54 AM

You can't make this stuff up!

Sexxpresso! The new erotic coffee shop!

Old 11-08-2007, 11:03 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,517,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
You can't make this stuff up!

Sexxpresso! The new erotic coffee shop!
I wonder what they use for a stirrer!

Old 11-08-2007, 11:10 AM

and creamer!

Old 11-08-2007, 11:25 AM

229 posts, read 815,186 times
[quote=Chest Rockwell;1944396
I was a big fan of the independent cafes, all of which are now gone, because they hosted art exhibits, open mics, live music and other cultural events. Starbucks by comparison hosts a bunch of jerks with laptops running pyramid scams.[/QUOTE]

Chest, very funny. That may be the best description of the Starbucks crowd I've ever read. I love it. As for Sexxpresso, at this point, I don't know why anything in this place surprises me, but it still does. Leave it to Las Vegas: our bars can't compete without gaming and smoking, and now our coffee shops can't compete without sex? Classic.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:40 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,417,008 times
Quote:
Chest, very funny. That may be the best description of the Starbucks crowd I've ever read. I love it. As for Sexxpresso, at this point, I don't know why anything in this place surprises me, but it still does. Leave it to Las Vegas: our bars can't compete without gaming and smoking, and now our coffee shops can't compete without sex? Classic.
no true, man, not true.

head to the downtown area sometime to see bars doing just fine w/o smoking or gambling. that may have been a true statement a couple years ago, but i don't know that it still holds (i guess we need to give these bars a few years and see if they are still flourishing, though....i will be doing my part to ensure they stay open )

*as for the smoking thing, that is endemic to many places....there were at least 5 no smoking bars that tried to make it in milwaukee while i was there...all failed miserably.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:44 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,230,074 times
Quote:

It is a franchise from Seattle...where there are a number of them.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:55 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,378,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
It is a franchise from Seattle...where there are a number of them.
I was waiting for Vegas to get the blame for that one. But the fact is, they were in Dallas and Seattle first. I wonder what the girls wear in those cold climates in the wintertime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas