Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 07:57 AM

526 posts, read 833,432 times

Advertisements

I remember when I was shopping for houses in 2008, I went into one house that the owners were there.
As we entered the house they asked us to put on "BOOTIES" over our shoes so we wouldn't dirty the carpets. They said the hot weather melts the roadway and the tar gets on your shoes and you track black marks throughout the house.
Is this a normal occurrence?
Or do you have everyone remove their shoes?
Or was it just in their neighborhood - Rhodes Ranch area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 08:00 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,265,377 times
Kind of gross to wear outside shoes inside your house. You track dirt and whatever else is on your shoes throughout the house.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:06 AM

16,395 posts, read 30,304,377 times
It is not just a Las Vegas thing. We generally do that (remove our shoes) when we enter anyone's home.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:41 AM

419 posts, read 907,643 times
This is also a custom in many cultures. My Chinese friends always expect guests to take their
shoes off in their home.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:44 AM

930 posts, read 1,819,193 times
guess you could have a shoe sole washing station for everyone to use instead

Old 06-11-2013, 10:28 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,952,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc8 View Post
guess you could have a shoe sole washing station for everyone to use instead
I once went to a party where the host offered to cleanse my sole... I told him I was an Atheist.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:42 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,809,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadtam View Post
I remember when I was shopping for houses in 2008, I went into one house that the owners were there.
As we entered the house they asked us to put on "BOOTIES" over our shoes so we wouldn't dirty the carpets. They said the hot weather melts the roadway and the tar gets on your shoes and you track black marks throughout the house.
Is this a normal occurrence?
Or do you have everyone remove their shoes?
Or was it just in their neighborhood - Rhodes Ranch area?
So far I have not heard of the the roadways melting and getting tar on your shoes. I think it is one of those fables like your tires melting because of the heat or everything melting in your car? I am sure if you leave your car in direct sun all day and for many days this will happen. The shoe thing is personal Preference and is done all over the US. Tile floors here in LV is much easier to have and cooler.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:47 AM

6,828 posts, read 11,560,093 times
There IS something about Las Vegas that makes the bottoms of your shoes exceptionally dirty. I noticed it when we were out there for 2 months in the winter. I think it's both the heat softening the asphalt and the lack of rain which would wash everything clean(er).

Old 06-11-2013, 12:38 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,813,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
There IS something about Las Vegas that makes the bottoms of your shoes exceptionally dirty. I noticed it when we were out there for 2 months in the winter. I think it's both the heat softening the asphalt and the lack of rain which would wash everything clean(er).
It is dust. One component of the dust is certainly asphalt but there are lots of other.

We regularly use booties on listings with light carpets.

Any day the wind blows strong you can build up a 1/32 or 1/16 layer of dust on the walkways.

Good door mat will also take care of most of it.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:19 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,130,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerby View Post
This is also a custom in many cultures. My Chinese friends always expect guests to take their
shoes off in their home.
They obviously haven't smelled my feet lately.

I pulled the carpet out of the main rooms in the house a long time ago. I've got hardwood and tile in the main areas. The bedrooms still have carpet, but in this climate, honestly, you are better off with tile or wood. It keeps it cooler. The only thing is the noise. Carpet tends to damper the sound in the house a little, so if you have kids and pets, you hear less of it with carpet.

I do find that my area rugs get dirty very quickly in the bathroom. I never considered the heat angle, but it makes sense. Hot asphalt + no rain = yucky shoe bottoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: