Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 03:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,505 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Las Vegas for college. I'm looking for a safe and quite clean apartment that is walking distance to W. Charleston CSN.

I'm debating over Desert Shadows or Vista Del Rey but we all know the internet is quite deceiving. So I would love to get some advice from you all, it's much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 08:36 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
[orphaned]
HI, normally I advise anyone going to Vegas to get a car. While it's not totally impossible to function in Vegas without one, the place isn't built to a pedestrian scale, and simple things can be miles apart. Add in the fact that triple digit temperatures are normal, and walking or waiting for a bus can be an exercise in broiling.

However, I noticed that there are apartments directly adjacent to this campus. From Google Maps, I can read a link to them as lantanaapartmenthomes.com. These look easily walkable to the campus. I no nothing about these other then their location, so you'll need to do your own research, but at least the getting to campus part is walkable. Charleston is not that far a walk from the apartments, and there's shopping therer, so that might work also.

Last edited by observer53; 05-09-2013 at 11:10 PM..

Old 05-09-2013, 09:34 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...ston-blvd.html

Quote:
Apartments are a dime a dozen. But here, every maintenence request has been answered in a timely manner. I moved in on a holiday, and had arrived on January 1st from another state. When I moved in, the property manager Paula even came in despite the fact that the office was closed. Very kind of her. There are 2 sections to these apartments, though. I live in the Santa Margarita side, which truthfully is a little nicer. The pools were shut down for several weeks during the summer. That is true. They aren't all that well maintained, either. Overall, this is a nice place.
Read more: Apartments are a dime a dozen. But here, every...

Quote:
Was impressed at first but no more.

BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front)

Manager Paula - Can be nice. Few prejudice if she doesn't like you. Plays favorites on her residence based on who has been there the longest. (I.E. pets are not allowed, but if she likes you she will look the other way. If she doesn't you get a fine and a notice).

Assit Manager William - USELESS. Will mess up your paperwork. Lose your rent money orders. Speaks bad English. Avoid doing anything important with him.

The Property - Very nice. However, the pools are normally closed for no reason all year long. Many people who don't live there uses the workout room, pools, parking spots, just about everything.

Read more: Was impressed at first but no more. BLUF (Bottom Line...

Old 05-09-2013, 09:44 AM

526 posts, read 832,975 times
Wouldn't College Admissions office have some information?? Couldn't they put you in touch with volunteer students that would help you??

Old 05-09-2013, 12:18 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIxLVLady View Post
I'll be moving to Las Vegas for college. I'm looking for a safe and quite clean apartment that is walking distance to W. Charleston CSN.

I'm debating over Desert Shadows or Vista Del Rey but we all know the internet is quite deceiving. So I would love to get some advice from you all, it's much appreciated.
The CSN campus on W. Charleston is in a fairly nice area of town.

I would look very hard at renting a house because it will likely cost the same as an apartment. Then you can get some friends from college to be your roommates and basically have a free (or almost free) place to live.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:45 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
[orphaned quote and response]

The most important piece of information for a Hawaii transplant in Las Vegas is that the malasadas at Lappert's in the California Hotel are terrible, and that the best (that I've found) are at Kauai Cafe on Tropicana. The Aloha breakfast at Aloha Specialties in the California is pretty damn tasty though.

Last edited by observer53; 05-09-2013 at 11:13 PM..

Old 05-09-2013, 11:00 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Area is fine. Go for cheap and close.

Scoops approach can work well in that area. But you need to be willing to ride herd on a mess of college students or similar which is a hard road. If it does not feel natural too you it probably won't work out.

When you make your pick post it here and some of us will offer an opinion.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:13 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,808,775 times
You can even move up the road and just ride the bus. No reason to limit to just right there. Lots of apartments on Charleston I'd say All the way to Rainbow is easily walkable.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:55 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,491,548 times
Desert Shadows is fairly new, a few years old while others are older apt complex. There are more apt/condos on Oakey which is better in my opinion, away from the traffic of West Charleston. There is also a park nearby on Oakey across from the CSN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: