Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 11:35 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,103,724 times

Advertisements

remember too that our unemployment rate goes up with the closing of a couple of major properties....the employees are taking an 'unemployment vacation' before the economy begins to absorb them PLUS....everyone else is still flowing in unemployed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 09:29 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,024,595 times
I agree, excellent post!

Old 11-03-2007, 12:17 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,345,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
remember too that our unemployment rate goes up with the closing of a couple of major properties....the employees are taking an 'unemployment vacation' before the economy begins to absorb them PLUS....everyone else is still flowing in unemployed.
Not sure if new residents are actually counted in the unemployment rate. I'll have to get back to you on that one. If they file for unemployment in their home state and transfer here, or if they come here to open a new interstate claim, then Carson City would have the numbers of any claim taken in Nevada for the paying state. But I don't know for sure if they count them as Nevada unemployment since we wouldn't know if they stay or move on, or if they continue to send in their weekly claims to the paying state. If I can remember the name of the guy in Carson who handles the stats maybe I'll call him.

The Frontier closing would mean several new claims for unemployment. What else closed recently?

BTW: Being unemployed is usually no vacation.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post

damn...I knew I shoulda put a on that post

Old 11-06-2007, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
damn...I knew I shoulda put a on that post
Knee jerk reaction. I spent several years explaining to people how wrong they were when they accused those collecting unemployment insurance of sitting at home living off the taxpayers as if they were on welfare. 1. If you aren't conducting a weekly work search you run a good chance of having to pay it all back. A. It isn't enough to live on; it is only a stipend to help you get back in the work force. 4. Studies show that people consider losing their job as something almost as bad as a death in the family. 17b. You don't pay into unemployment, but you do earn it as another employer paid benefit while you are working, and can only collect it if you are unemployed through no fault of your own.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:46 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,462,487 times
Ahhh...but I know many Pipefitters and Boilermakers that work their profession because they do get unemployment about 3-5 months a year. Easy after jobs shut down and they make plenty of money because they work 5-7 days a week 10-12 hours a day (sometimes more hours) at regular time, time and a half, double time on Sundays and more on major holidays. My Uncle was very high up, worked one Christmas Day and made about 150 bucks an hour for 12 hours!!! That was many moons ago, so would be even crazier now. So yes, unemployment WAS their vacation money.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
Ahhh...but I know many Pipefitters and Boilermakers that work their profession because they do get unemployment about 3-5 months a year. Easy after jobs shut down and they make plenty of money because they work 5-7 days a week 10-12 hours a day (sometimes more hours) at regular time, time and a half, double time on Sundays and more on major holidays. My Uncle was very high up, worked one Christmas Day and made about 150 bucks an hour for 12 hours!!! That was many moons ago, so would be even crazier now. So yes, unemployment WAS their vacation money.
Yeah I suppose you could have a really nice vacation on $350.00 a week. Uh, huh. Sure you could.

Most people in this country that work what is essentially a temporary job, such as here in Vegas the convention workers, banquet workers, construction workers, Strip entertainers, etc., expect to be laid off for a short while between jobs, and if they have a definite date to return to work within a certain number of weeks, they don't have to conduct a work search. If they are hired only through a union hall they only have to contact the union on a regular basis. Everyone else has to work very hard at finding a new job or else they are committing fraud by collecting unemployment if they don't look for work at least three days a week. But that is what unemployment insurance is for...it is insurance that offers a little help while looking for a new job. It is not enough to live on by any means. It is barely enough to buy your gas for running around filling out job apps, and maybe paying a babysitter. Many people don't make enough money while working to qualify for the maximum benefit. I've seen people get as little as $16.00 a week. Your uncle probably earned enough to qualify for the maximum benefit. Hopefully he saved some of it to pay the rent when he was only getting unemployment.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:26 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,462,487 times
Oh yes, he saved plenty. Most make 60K-100K during the working part of the year and it's more then 350 a week during the "downtime". Yes, they check in regularily, but the ones that have been in it for some time can pick and chose their jobs. Not advocating unions, I think good and bad of them. But 2000-2500 a month while relaxing isn't chicken scratch where I grew up. 120K buys you a nice home with 10 acres. It's all relevant, but your point is taken.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:50 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
The whole movie industry works on that basis. Work...make a lot of money for 6 months to a year. Than you go onto unemployment until the next picture. I don't even think they catch much hassle from the unemployment people. Been that way a long time.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
The whole movie industry works on that basis. Work...make a lot of money for 6 months to a year. Than you go onto unemployment until the next picture. I don't even think they catch much hassle from the unemployment people. Been that way a long time.
Even Bob Hope n Bing Crosby used to draw unemployment between projects and they were both rich enuf to loan money to GOD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas