Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 12:02 AM

4 posts, read 17,213 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think of the Mountain's Edge community in terms of investment or a place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 12:38 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Mountains Edge is a nice newer community. Very pretty out there. Traffic is congested, until they put some more roads out there. Good place to live.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:32 AM

818 posts, read 3,697,293 times
It is a very new and beautiful area. Super quiet. Many of the tracts have awesome clubhouses and community centers as well. Perfect if you work from home, or on the SW side of town. There are some bargains to be had right now in this area.

However......

Don't plan on trying to sell a house out there until you no longer have to compete with the builders. I've driven down streets where 3 out of every 4 houses are on the market.

I am still disgusted that they were allowed to build tens of thousands of houses out there when the main street was a two lane highway with no traffic lights to speak of. It was a prime example of the lack of oversight and the power of the greedy builders during the housing boom. The rash of traffic deaths last year on Blue Diamond was an embarrassment in terms of city plannning. Rainbow eventually turns into Mountain's edge Parkway, but only after becoming an unlit 1 lane road with a deathtrap turn in the middle of the desert. Who allowed this?

The 215 Westbound is a parking lot in the afternoon/evening, so add an extra 30 minutes to your commute if you are coming from the strip and an extra hour if you are coming from Henderson. Blue Diamond has been improved, but it's nowhere near where it should be considering the amount of building that has been done.

As with anywhere, there are positives and negatives. Be careful, because if you want out, you will have an especially tough time selling at this point. It could become one of the most sought after areas to live once the traffic concerns are fixed and building has finished.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:04 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Simple answer...don't buy the houses. Why put up with all that?

So shake it all down the fault comes back to the consumer. The Builders build there because the consumer will buy there. The County and cities allow it because they have almost no choice in liberterian Nevada. In general the state and its population have been very resistant to any throttles on growth or land use.

But in the end it is the consumer who buys and allows the process to go on.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,915 times
Default Half-built "master planned" community

Just moved to Mountains Edge. The home is great. The neighborhood is way out of the way but the flip side, I suppose, is low crime. There is nothing in this "master planned" community of 7,000 homes except the homes and the vast Nevada desert. No 7-11s, grocery stores, gas stations, medical offices, banks, post offices, recreation centers, libraries, nada. The roads suck -- lots of road closures and sudden narrowing of pavement -- and the county won't build a bridge across railroad tracks that would cut travel time in half for many motorists.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:05 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koogan View Post
Just moved to Mountains Edge. The home is great. The neighborhood is way out of the way but the flip side, I suppose, is low crime. There is nothing in this "master planned" community of 7,000 homes except the homes and the vast Nevada desert. No 7-11s, grocery stores, gas stations, medical offices, banks, post offices, recreation centers, libraries, nada. The roads suck -- lots of road closures and sudden narrowing of pavement -- and the county won't build a bridge across railroad tracks that would cut travel time in half for many motorists.
We picked GV over Mountains Edge for that very reason, not convenient as of yet. The homes were larger, but we noticed build quality was lower. Definitely a lot of bang for your buck, though!

Old 04-19-2014, 08:42 AM

555 posts, read 774,744 times
Nice area but albeit far, infrastructure needs work, heard there's a lot of renters (not sure if this is true). The community park is really nice and I think Clark County is going to be building a community center nearby very soon.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:28 PM

171 posts, read 218,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koogan View Post
There are two gas station on Blue Diamond between Rainbow and Durango and one more is coming soon. A few stores and restaurants in the same area, including Walgreen, 7-11, McDonald, etc. A newly built library is on windmill and rainbow, about 3 miles away from ME. No medical offices, banks, and post offices yet in ME, but they are only less than 5 miles away. The regional park (Phase I) is being built and expected to open in Fall; the future phase will include a regional center, cultural center, and a lot more.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:31 PM

171 posts, read 218,889 times
I used to live in Henderson for a year, and I feel it's more convenient to get to the Strip from ME than from most areas of Henderson.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:37 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
It always takes awhile, several years when new communities pop up to get all of the things you would want in an area. When we first came out to see Aliante, before the model homes were finished, we had to travel over some really rutted old dirt roads to get to the site. It was a royal pain. Aliante has only been in existence for 10 years, and for a long time we did not have any shopping nearby, had to go to Ann road to shop or Craig road. Now 10 years later we have too much shopping all around us, restaurants, banks, several grocery stores, etc. And a nice library, parks.
It will happen for Mountains Edge, they usually wait until it is almost all built out, then the stores come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas