Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 02:28 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,009,160 times

Advertisements

Even with those events, it's better to go out for a great meal at a world-class restaurant. That's the best bang for the buck. People go to these foodie events expecting something for nothing. Restaurants are less and less willing to participate because these "foodie events" do not translate to increased reservations.

I'd rather have a great meal at Bouchon, L'atelier de Joel Robuchon, Andre's, B&B, or Fleur. It costs about the same as a foodie event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 03:24 PM

35 posts, read 47,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Even with those events, it's better to go out for a great meal at a world-class restaurant. That's the best bang for the buck. People go to these foodie events expecting something for nothing. Restaurants are less and less willing to participate because these "foodie events" do not translate to increased reservations.

I'd rather have a great meal at Bouchon, L'atelier de Joel Robuchon, Andre's, B&B, or Fleur. It costs about the same as a foodie event.
I don't think most people go with the expectation of "getting something for nothing". Making it affordable for a family is probably what most would expect. All of those restaurants you listed are world class restaurants that are not for families. My whole point with the post is not to drop my children off at adventuredome while I go and enjoy a festival with my husband. The point is to be able to spend time with our family at one of these events without feeling like we were being bent over and pummeled in the process.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:42 PM

743 posts, read 969,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

Nothing beats Fleur with a restaurant.com certificate
With all the deals in this town and great food I avoid those parking lot "festivals" at all cost.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:37 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,009,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolve77 View Post
The point is to be able to spend time with our family at one of these events without feeling like we were being bent over and pummeled in the process.
But the festival organizers' goal is to bend you over and pummel you. That's just how it is. If you want an inexpensive family day, take them to Shark Reef or something similar. And then a nice (but not expensive) meal out at one of our better restaurants.

As aardogfsu pointed out, Restaurant.com makes it easy for a family to get a lot more value at some very, very nice restaurants. Take the kids to a Brazilian steakhouse, for instance. Their AYCE price is negligible, and the adult prices are deeply discounted thanks to the restaurant.com coupon.

This will work out to the same price as a San Gennero reaming, or close enough. And it's a much better experience than carnival food and 2nd-rate rides.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:29 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,809,743 times
I was at the Scot/Irish festival last week in Floyd Lamb Park here is some of the prices I saw Turkey leg $8.00 WOW I got a rootbeer float one scoop of ice cream in a cup and handed a can of root beer $5.50 Hamburger $5.50 Hot fudge Sunday 3 scoops in a bowl $7.50 If I had 2 or more kids with me it would have cost a fortune. They should call these events Whats in your Wallet we want it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-29-2013, 06:56 PM

16,398 posts, read 30,317,791 times
I have been to a number of food festivals. In MOST cases, the food is being prepared in an outside kitchen under less than ideal conditions usually by less trained employees.

If you go into those events looking to identify a couple of restaurants that you would like to try, sometimes the food festivals are worth it. However, if there is a huge admissions charge connected to it, forget about it.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:46 PM

8,420 posts, read 4,586,460 times
The ONE "festival" I still enjoy is the Bite of Las Vegas put on by Mix 94.1 end of September. It's $15 per head but you can get it discounted if you go in to the radio station and buy tickets early. Once in you get a pleasant experience of food, music and fun. I don't like that some of the vendors are place's like Panda Express, but I get to experience small portions of local food places I haven't tried for about $2-$5. Bring a blanket and chill with $4 beer/wine to some pretty good current bands. I've been going for about 5 years.

Bite Of Las Vegas « Mix 94.1 Las Vegas

Old 04-29-2013, 08:30 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,085,022 times
I find it interesting that people are shocked at the outrageous prices when it's nothing new. It's the same thing as paying $8.00 for a cup of beer at any stadium event.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:11 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,955,616 times
^those are a joke too and I don't go unless I get a discounted ticket and it is something I really want to see. You can always tailgate too.

I don't even go to the movie theater because of the outrageous prices of everything. Ridiculous. I am glad my kids are grown!

Old 05-01-2013, 03:50 PM

16,398 posts, read 30,317,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
I find it interesting that people are shocked at the outrageous prices when it's nothing new. It's the same thing as paying $8.00 for a cup of beer at any stadium event.
That is why you see a lot people staying at home and watching the game on their big screen. You can have a heck of a spread for the cost of parking and a couple of beers at the stadiums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas