Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 06:37 PM

11 posts, read 16,240 times

Advertisements

What's a person to do after witnessing child abuse in public without any information to help track the victim or perpetrator? Is there a way to get an immediate response from CPS or an entity like that before the victim and perpetrator leave?

I took my kids to a McDonald's in a really bad part of town (Rancho & Washington) and sat by the play structure. All of a sudden this meth-head came in, let out a blood-curdling scream that had every kid in the place freaked out, charged into the play structure, and proceeded to scream his head off at a boy who was probably not even 2 years old. It was mostly in Spanish but the English included "F*** you!" and "What the f*** do you think you're doing?" There was a sound like he hit the kid, but I didn't actually see it. Then he stormed off leaving the kid in tears. The boy's mother seemed to ponder going to her son for a while, but then must have decided it would be too much work to get out of the chair (she was about the size of Moby Dick). Eventually the kid calmed down and everybody went about their business while I silently thanked God that my kids were not inside the play structure when it all happened.

I thought about calling Metro, but I figured they would say if the kid's mom didn't care and I didn't actually see any physical violence, they couldn't do anything. I thought about trying to get a license plate number and calling child protective services, but the meth-head took off before my kids had even finished eating. And the boy's mom was still showing no sign of movement when my kids were exhausted from an hour in the play place, so I just gave up and left.

Anybody have any suggestions for how to handle a situation like this? In case I ever see something like it again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 06:43 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,711 times
Doesn't even sound like it was his kid. Why would CPS be involved?

He yelled at some kids and you want to call the police?

Stay out of drug land would be my recommendation.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:50 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
Doesn't even sound like it was his kid. Why would CPS be involved?

He yelled at some kids and you want to call the police?

Stay out of drug land would be my recommendation.
Or call the cops quickly. Never can tell where that will end up but likely for the good of the kid.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:35 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,260 times
Some people are born into a bad life, nothing you can do about it. I'm sure the kid is already on the CPS radar and if he isn't, will soon be.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:43 PM

236 posts, read 405,929 times
About 10 years ago my husband and I came out of a store near our home. We walked past a man who was screaming in Spanish at a child and slapped him upside his head as we walked by. I wanted to call the police but didn't. Afraid to get involved. Ten years later, I still think about that child and can still see him trying to block the slaps. I wonder what would have happened if I would have called the police. Would it have made a difference? Would his life have been better? Or worse? I wish I would have called.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:42 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,260 times
No irish, you intervening would not have made a significant difference in altering that child's life. Most of these children are already in the system in some form. Either the school system alerts the government or the child's relatives alert the government. These families are on the welfare system probably, that will have additional focus by agencies such as CPS.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:34 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Yeah, it's always someone else's resposibility.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:38 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,926 times
Default ain't nuthin funny about it

Old 04-24-2013, 12:06 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,568,409 times
What's the desired outcome? Seems like you're just having a difficult time accepting that something so strange and intense happened and you had no control over it.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:44 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Yeah, it's always someone else's resposibility.
I get your point, but the fact is that sometimes you might actually make a situation worse by saying something. The sad fact of the matter is that if you humiliate the abuser, he will likely take that aggression out on his victims since he or she is a coward to be an abuser in the first place.

The person takes a bunch of grief from the boss at work and says nothing, but the spouse, the dog, and the kid are easy pickins to take out the aggression on.

CPS in this town is a joke, btw. Don't bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas