Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 12:10 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,900,516 times

Advertisements

Aloe vera. A spray bottle with a cold spritz. I prefer dry. Humidity makes me feel dirty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 01:22 PM

65 posts, read 98,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Can I get by without using moisturizers or lotion? I absolutely cant stand creamy/greasy substances on my skin.

Does everyone in Vegas use moisturizers on a daily basis? Do people get by without it as well?
Having a water softener installed is night and day. Use moisturizing soaps in the shower with really soft water and you'll never need lotions. I had to use moisturizer everyday because of the hard water out here until we could afford our water softener install (did it myself, cost about $650 after parts). Fixing the water is way more important than the air.

Also, we do have a humidifier and run it about 3-4 times (6 hours at a time) during the winter to get rid of the static-shock problem so that's a cheap $50 fix inside your home. (still get shocked by shopping carts in Smiths though, can't fix that!)

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm from Philadelphia and have been here 2 years. I also hated the humidity on the east coast so I'm a little biased there, but I do have very sensitive/dry skin (water softener fixed everything). I also used to have allergies to grass/lawn mowing, which is gone out here! I've heard some people have worse allergies here, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:21 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,481,187 times
It's so dry that if you try to pour a glass of water you must pour very fast or the water evaporates before it ever hits the glass.

...On the other hand, if you spill any liquids you won't have to clean them up...they evaporate before you can reach for a towel.

You won't need a hair dryer...just a spray bottle of water to keep it wet long enough to run a comb through it!

It's never rains...just little moist balls of dust hit the ground.

On the rare occasion when it does actually rain, a 1/2 inch of rain can flood the entire city...sans the strip of course! The tunnel people get washed away though.... oh, yeah, the tunnel people! Las Vegas has Morelocks!

Old 02-22-2014, 04:31 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
It's so dry that if you try to pour a glass of water you must pour very fast or the water evaporates before it ever hits the glass.

...On the other hand, if you spill any liquids you won't have to clean them up...they evaporate before you can reach for a towel.

You won't need a hair dryer...just a spray bottle of water to keep it wet long enough to run a comb through it!

It's never rains...just little moist balls of dust hit the ground.

On the rare occasion when it does actually rain, a 1/2 inch of rain can flood the entire city...sans the strip of course! The tunnel people get washed away though.... oh, yeah, the tunnel people! Las Vegas has Morelocks!
Nah - the thunderstorms are good for a lot more than a 1/2 inch which would not even created much runoff. The problem is that you can get 4 or 5 inches in under an hour. In one storm the rate at the peak was over 6 inches an hour. You get torrents 3 feet deep running down some roads.

You are correct it virtually never rains...but when it does it can be a cataclysmic event locally. I have a $150,000 hole in my assets to testify to that.

And in some storms the strip gets it too. Check around. There are some old pictures of cars being tugboated around in the MGM garage.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:11 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,481,187 times
^^^^^^ Shhhhhhhh! Don't ruin it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: