Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 11:41 AM

20 posts, read 107,304 times

Advertisements

Hi, I moved out of Vegas in the beginning of 2010 and moved to Reno got laid off 6 months later then moved here to Orlando, FL where I currently reside. I am not happy with this area at all as it seems like in order to get land a job you have to speak 2 languages and secondly the rate of pay down here is horrible thanks to Disney. Most of my experience is in the warehousing/retail field. I was just wondering if the job market out there is getting any better or is pretty much still the same from 3 years ago. I also own a house in Las Vegas as it is currently being rented out by month to month renters. So keep in mind I would not have a mortgage payment or rent to pay on a monthly basis. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

MJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 02:23 PM

210 posts, read 452,241 times
IMO opinion the job market is no where near as tough as it was in 2010. I was unemployed for the majority of that year. Is the job market great....I wouldn't say that. If you still have connections here or little saved up for some time you should be able to get something. Contact some temp agencies in you looking to get back into the area.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:51 AM

Thanks, for your input. I have some connections but not many. I'm just worried about making the cross country move and not being able to find any work what-so-ever then forced to move back to FL and have to find someone to rent the house out to again. That's my main concern. I'm not concerned about the amount of $$$ I would take for a the job as down here in FL the pay scale is horrendous not to mention there are no labor laws regarding your lunch break like in NV. I go to work at 3am currently and not able to take my lunch break till 1030 or sometimes later until the job is done. Unacceptable if you ask me.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:53 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,566,594 times
retail is probably good for you.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
retail is probably good for you.
I have loads of retail experience and warehouse experience as well. I prefer warehouse work as that's what I really enjoy doing. I see many warehouse job postings listed on indeed.com's website. And many seem to be full-time too.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:49 PM

213 posts, read 424,368 times
Florida sucks to work in, Jacksonville is even worse than Orlando when it comes to pay, that is one of the reasons I am looking to move west.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centauri View Post
Florida sucks to work in, Jacksonville is even worse than Orlando when it comes to pay, that is one of the reasons I am looking to move west.
Yes, I heard about Jacksonville, many people are really unhappy that live there. One of the worst when it comes to how happy people are living there. Florida is a good place to retire in but to make a living it pretty much sucks. That's why after next summer I plan on going back to Vegas. I'm confident I'll find some sort of decent job out there.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:20 PM

213 posts, read 424,368 times
My best friend is from Las Vegas, he moved to Jacksonville and 6 months later he went back to Vegas. He has been trying to get me to move there since. Since the job market is a little better, I am actually considering it. What sucks, my job skills are quite limited to Aviation and Television, and I am ready to get out of aviation, but I do not want to work in Television again.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:23 PM

5 posts, read 16,342 times
Florida has historically been a poor place to work unless your a doctor or attorney or retired with $$$$ in the bank. I lived outside Fort Lauderdale for 5 years in the late 1980's and moved there for work because the rust belt city we lived in died. Florida does not treat their workers well with poor pay, poor health benefits and overall poor working conditions. The company I worked for once told an employee you found us we didn't look for you and if you don't like the pay or benefits you can leave today. Although Disney plays a major role in the Orlando area Florida as a whole is bad, bad, bad. In fact I will put any of the southeastern states in the same category.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:00 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,377,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centauri View Post
I am originally from Jacksonville, and for a fleeting moment I considered moving back, since the only family I have remaining is still living in that area. Then I checked salaries. I work in health care, and I would have taken about a 40 percent reduction in pay. The cost of living is lower, but not by 40 percent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: