Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 05:03 PM

88 posts, read 150,422 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

Okay, so I'm doing some more digging/research prior to our pending move to Vegas

I did read that Henderson has no income tax and lower property taxes (for Vegas). Because hubby will be at Nellis, we will likely 'not' choose Henderson (though it sounds very nice).

I am just curious though, are the taxes pretty much the same throughout Vegas (but lower in Henderson); hope I made sense with that!! Property tax (for when we buy) and income tax (for both of us) would be the main taxes, I believe.

In terms of hubby retiring (in a few short years from the military), I'm assuming it doesn't matter 'where' we live in Vegas (as in his retirement income). I believe there are lots of retired military in Vegas but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong with that assumption...

As I mentioned on my last post, we seem to have narrowed our search down to Centennial Hills and Summerlin.

Thank you to anyone who reads and is able to shed any light

Jessey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 05:25 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessey126 View Post
Hi Everyone

Okay, so I'm doing some more digging/research prior to our pending move to Vegas

I did read that Henderson has no income tax and lower property taxes (for Vegas). Because hubby will be at Nellis, we will likely 'not' choose Henderson (though it sounds very nice).

I am just curious though, are the taxes pretty much the same throughout Vegas (but lower in Henderson); hope I made sense with that!! Property tax (for when we buy) and income tax (for both of us) would be the main taxes, I believe.

In terms of hubby retiring (in a few short years from the military), I'm assuming it doesn't matter 'where' we live in Vegas (as in his retirement income). I believe there are lots of retired military in Vegas but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong with that assumption...

As I mentioned on my last post, we seem to have narrowed our search down to Centennial Hills and Summerlin.

Jessey
Taxes are at their lowest in Clark County unincorporated. Henderson and the City of Las Vegas are similar and a few dollars higher.. NLV is a little more.

For calculation purposes presume a sales tax of 8.1% and a property tax of 1%.

There is no income tax anywhere in Nevada. Property taxes vary a bit but not much. Things like the school taxes are the same everywhere. There are some redevelopment districts that are a little different but you are not likely to deal with any of them.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:27 PM

95 posts, read 225,115 times
There are no income taxes in the state of Nevada. You'll only pay the federal income taxes if applicable.

Property taxes are levied by Clark County and therefore the rate is supposed to be equal everywhere. Maybe the value of the properties is higher in some places so the taxes will be higher, but not the rate.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:01 PM

88 posts, read 150,422 times
Thank you guys, both of you - great information and Ivoc, thank you for spelling it out for me - that all sounds very positive (music to my ears).

In any event, way better than California Vegas here we come, I am sooo excited to be coming to your state...

Best wishes!

Jessey

Old 02-22-2013, 08:27 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,807,886 times
Just to chime in coming from a high tax state like you in Calf. I from NYS you will find many taxes and fees (taxes called a different name ) not here in Nevada. The closing cost on my home was 1/2 what it would have been in NYS. The sales tax in clark county is about the same in the county I came from in NYS. My living expenses is about 1/2 of what it was in NYS because of the high Property & School Taxes. The traffic is also not too bad but beware you do have to get use to the drivers out here. I wish you well in your move.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:40 AM

526 posts, read 832,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bravo View Post

Property taxes are levied by Clark County and therefore the rate is supposed to be equal everywhere. Maybe the value of the properties is higher in some places so the taxes will be higher, but not the rate.
Not Correct.
There are different TAX DISTRICTS in Clark County. You pay the tax rate on your assessment for your district:

Tax Districts

Old 02-22-2013, 09:57 AM

95 posts, read 225,115 times
Thanks for the correction tadtam. You learn something new every day ;-)

Old 02-22-2013, 12:54 PM

499 posts, read 1,059,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadtam View Post
Not Correct.
There are different TAX DISTRICTS in Clark County. You pay the tax rate on your assessment for your district:

Tax Districts
Good Job! Shows that a little research and facts will always dispel all the hearsay on this forum.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:50 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessey126 View Post
Hi Everyone

Jessey
Since you are Military what state do you have as your home state. That is the state you would pay your State taxes to if they have any.. If you choose Nevada then you will not have any State income tax....

Old 02-22-2013, 04:13 PM

437 posts, read 792,492 times
Don't forget the HOA monthly tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas