Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2013, 06:06 PM

244 posts, read 440,496 times

Advertisements

Trying to help my friend, he had car accident last night.

Car is damaged, my estimate is 3000 $ for repair.

Its clear to me that car accident was not his fault, other person just cut his way and he could not avoid it. That person also admited it to police officer.

Now, because my friend has only liability insurance we found him a lawyer and he will see him in 2 days.

I would like to know this - how long it takes for police report, should he pay to fix his car now and wait for lawyer...

Also he told me that in police report he can not see name of other person envolved,just insurance info. Is that normal in Nevada? I remember in CA when i had accident i could see name,plate and ins info of other person involved in police report.

I would like to hear from someone from similar (unfortunate) experience and if there is something else we have to be aware of?

thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 09:59 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,941,645 times
There is no actual timeframe for a police report.. It depends on a lot of things...How busy the police officer is, the info he needs to gather together, whether his superior signs off on the report in a timely manner or whether he has to redo the report, etc.......

I have had police reports within 2 days and other times it has taken a week or more.. The longest I have had to wait was 22 days.....

Old 02-02-2013, 11:17 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,590,900 times
The Police Officer should have given him the full name of the driver and vehicle information no matter who is at fault. NRS: CHAPTER 484E - ACCIDENTS AND REPORTS OF ACCIDENTS (NRS 484E.030 Duty to give information and render aid)
Perhaps the Officer was in a hurry to get to another call but should have given the driver's license number, full name dob and address of the other driver. Be sure to have your friend get that information by going to the Police Precinct during normal business hours and maybe the accident report will be ready too.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:19 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,007,241 times
If he didnt get hurt, why are you getting a lawyer?

Old 02-03-2013, 12:00 AM

670 posts, read 1,105,155 times
I would not pay for the car to be fixed out of pocket, there are too many variables involved in the repair the opposing insurance company could argue after the fact to argue against paying a portion of the bill.

If it were me I would rent a car comparable to the one your friend owns which was damaged (compact, sub-compact, full size, SUV, pickup, etc) from a rental car company and notify the insurance company of the person who struck your friends vehicle that your friends vehicle was damaged beyond the limit of safe operation and your friend is in possession of a rental vehicle which will be retained by your friend until their car is repaired to your friends satisfaction. This should get the opposing insurance company motivated to cooperate in the repair of your friends vehicle as they are on the hook to pay the rental of a replacement vehicle for your friend which is similar to the vehicle he owns and was taken out of commission by the actions of their client.

Even thought your friend only has liability insurance on their vehicle if your friend has any questions he/she might still try contacting their insurance company for council on how to proceed with this matter. They may be able to offer good advice on how to deal with the insurance company of the party that hit them.

If they are of no help they can check with a lawyer.

In a case like this it is always harder to get reimbursement for damages after the bill has been paid than it is to collect before damages are paid for.

PLEASE NOTE: I am not a lawyer and my post should not be construed as legal counsel.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:21 AM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,864,553 times
In my experience this can go easy or be a PITA. If the other driver has already admitted fault and you know they were ticketed, and you have their insurance info, then you can call their insurance and file a claim. The insurance for the other guy won't just pay up, they will first try to contact the other guy and if you are lucky he will admit fault right away and you will get your claim going. You likely don't need a lawyer at that point as the insurance will handle the repairs. If you are unlucky and he changes his story and denies he was ever there or says you hit him, then you need the lawyer.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:41 AM

670 posts, read 1,105,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk View Post
In my experience this can go easy or be a PITA. If the other driver has already admitted fault and you know they were ticketed, and you have their insurance info, then you can call their insurance and file a claim. The insurance for the other guy won't just pay up, they will first try to contact the other guy and if you are lucky he will admit fault right away and you will get your claim going. You likely don't need a lawyer at that point as the insurance will handle the repairs. If you are unlucky and he changes his story and denies he was ever there or says you hit him, then you need the lawyer.
I realize I may have jumped the gun a bit with my post above advising to go out and rent a car.

I assumed your friend had already tried to contact the other drivers insurance company and met with some kind of resistance. Hence the reason one might hire a lawyer.

If this is not the case as jpk says simply contact the other drivers insurance and start a claim. Hopefully the other driver does not change their story after the fact.

Even if the other driver does change their story if it's been documented in the police report that they admitted fault at the scene of the accident this will carry a lot of weight as the claim proceeds.

Your friend may find this to be a nice, easy claim with no need for unnecessary drama or lawyers involved.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:10 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,075,723 times
Don't you need an attorney to send you to a fake chiropractor so you can get a pain and injury settlement though?

<sarcasm>

Old 02-03-2013, 03:41 PM

244 posts, read 440,496 times
thank you guys.

we dont know if other person got a ticket but its clear its his fault.

My friend just decided to get a lawyer, who told him to get rent a car .
My understanding is that lawyer wouldn`t take the case if he thinks he can not win...

We will see what will happen.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas