Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 11:38 AM

99 posts, read 264,173 times

Advertisements

I hate rattlesnakes and wonder how common it is to find them in your front or back yards? Are they in parks and all other natural areas? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 11:47 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,126,981 times
30+ years here and I've never seen one.

We have the dreaded Mojave green in the higher elevations,(wilderness areas) but they are generally shy. The more aggressive snakes tend to be back east. I've heard a cottonmouth will cross the lawn to come bite you, and I'm not interested in ever encountering a water moccasin again.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:33 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,124,231 times
I got two snakes......right where they belong, on my boots

Old 01-17-2013, 02:34 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,788,793 times
I did, however, scare the bejesus out of my wife with pictures of the Camel Spider LOL.. I know they are fairly mythical in LV, but it was almost enough to talk her out of the move

Old 01-17-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Eagan View Post
I did, however, scare the bejesus out of my wife with pictures of the Camel Spider LOL.. I know they are fairly mythical in LV, but it was almost enough to talk her out of the move
Not mythical. Those I have actually seen. They call them something else out here, a sun-something I think, but those things are scary. A friend of mine found one in his garage on two separate occasions. Being a guy, of course, he couldn't just kill it, he had to put it in a jar and scare the bejesus out of everybody by taking a bunch of pictures. *Shudder*

Unsubstantiated, but I heard that they started showing up here by hitching a ride on the planes returning to Nellis from Iraq.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:57 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,788,793 times
Wind Scorpion and Sun Spider (although not a spider at all). I saw reference to them somewhere on CD and had to google them. That's when all hell broke loose lol. Fortunately, although not mythical, they seem to be few and far between. I loved the part about them being 6" long, very aggressive, and can run faster than I can..

Old 01-17-2013, 03:50 PM

654 posts, read 1,251,016 times
No rattlers in Vegas that I have seen. I walk the deserts here and nothing. But yes, I have encountered and caught one of those camel spiders in my garage.
I put him in a box and he's quite the intriguing specimen.
I finally decided to let him go, so I drove about 2 miles away and let him out. They run fast, every time I tried to get close to it just to look, it seemed like he followed me, scared the excrement out of me, he's so fast.

I later figured out what it was. I think its poisonous and seems to seek shade spots and I suppose when I got close to it, it saw my shadow and seemed like it was coming after me, following me.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestgump99 View Post
No rattlers in Vegas that I have seen. I walk the deserts here and nothing. But yes, I have encountered and caught one of those camel spiders in my garage.
I put him in a box and he's quite the intriguing specimen.
I finally decided to let him go, so I drove about 2 miles away and let him out. They run fast, every time I tried to get close to it just to look, it seemed like he followed me, scared the excrement out of me, he's so fast.

I later figured out what it was. I think its poisonous and seems to seek shade spots and I suppose when I got close to it, it saw my shadow and seemed like it was coming after me, following me.
I have heard that 'following the shadow" explanation before, but my friend wasn't casting any shadows in his garage and the little bugger charged him. I don't think they are poisonous, but I've heard the bite / pinches, whatever, are painful. Put it in a box and take it out to the desert? In a pig's ass I will. SPLAT! *shudder*

You're a nicer person than I am for sparing the little bugger.

Last edited by NLVgal; 01-17-2013 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: added last sentence.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:31 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,966,310 times
Yea right drive a spider in my car? Oh Heeeeee_______________________ no.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Yea right drive a spider in my car? Oh Heeeeee_______________________ no.

They aren't even spiders. they are the stuff of nightmares.

Camel Spiders
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas