Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 01:35 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times

Advertisements

Mom2Five, you're a really sweet lady, but I gotta complain about how you headed this thread. It implies that the rest of us don't know good food, which I really take exception to having eaten in many of the best restaurants in the country..including some in NewYawk. I understand that you may be kidding, but it is one of the reasons New Yorkers are perceived to be arrogant and obnoxious.

But, to answer your question, there are probably more Chinese restaurants in Las Vegas than any other ethnic food. It seems there is one at every intersection...along with three drug stores...seven mini marts...six gas stations...and twelve Starbucks. This is a city of more convenience than any other on the planet. If it can be found anywhere, it can be found here and almost anywhere you turn. And yes, most of the Chinese restaurants are pretty good. Our Chinatown is getting to be so large it will soon rival those of any other city in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 05:43 PM

23 posts, read 79,988 times
There's a good chinese restaurant on the corner of Rampart/Durango and Cheyenne. I can't remember the name of it. I lived in Las Vegas for 14 years ago and left to come back to PA to be closer to family. Not worth it. :-) Can't wait to be back. August '08!!!

Old 11-11-2007, 06:22 PM

216 posts, read 829,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Mom2Five, you're a really sweet lady, but I gotta complain about how you headed this thread. It implies that the rest of us don't know good food, which I really take exception to having eaten in many of the best restaurants in the country..including some in NewYawk. I understand that you may be kidding, but it is one of the reasons New Yorkers are perceived to be arrogant and obnoxious.

But, to answer your question, there are probably more Chinese restaurants in Las Vegas than any other ethnic food. It seems there is one at every intersection...along with three drug stores...seven mini marts...six gas stations...and twelve Starbucks. This is a city of more convenience than any other on the planet. If it can be found anywhere, it can be found here and almost anywhere you turn. And yes, most of the Chinese restaurants are pretty good. Our Chinatown is getting to be so large it will soon rival those of any other city in the U.S.
Well..if you read through the beginning it doesn't really have anything to do with whether the food is good or not but more of a type of cooking (I think) and a taste that seems to be only found on the East Coast. Also, some of the dishes seem to be entirely different, such as Chow Mein.

Don't you know, we're not arrogant we're just blunt

(and yes, I'm laughing).

Panda's Crispy Beef rocks by the way. I highly recommend it

Old 11-11-2007, 09:00 PM

159 posts, read 478,747 times
Default Not arrogance at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Five View Post
Well..if you read through the beginning it doesn't really have anything to do with whether the food is good or not but more of a type of cooking (I think) and a taste that seems to be only found on the East Coast. Also, some of the dishes seem to be entirely different, such as Chow Mein.
Mom, I agree wholeheartedly: it's about the very particular cooking style and taste--and dare I add, aroma--of these East Coast (mid-Atlantic, NY-metro-area) cuisines that we miss. So, in our zeal to reexperience these familiar tastes and aromas, we're naturally going to seek advice from people who know exactly what we're talking about. They'll have had the same regional ethnic gustatory experience, and so they'll serve as more reliable guides.

It gets a lot more complicated and specific, too, especially when we want to eat at a restaurant that smells like Mom's kitchen. Then the number of people who might be able to point us to the right place--or tell us to fugeddaboutit--gets even smaller.

I grew up in northern NJ, 7 miles from Manhattan. Have lived all over NYC. The cuisine that's part of my heritage--Neapolitan--seems to be least represented here. And that's not to say that I don't appreciate other types of Italian food. I certainly do, but sometimes one just gets a jones on for that familiar taste of home.

Good luck in your search for satisfying Chinese cuisine--the kind you know and love!

Old 11-11-2007, 09:57 PM

216 posts, read 829,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia B. View Post
Mom, I agree wholeheartedly: it's about the very particular cooking style and taste--and dare I add, aroma--of these East Coast (mid-Atlantic, NY-metro-area) cuisines that we miss. So, in our zeal to reexperience these familiar tastes and aromas, we're naturally going to seek advice from people who know exactly what we're talking about. They'll have had the same regional ethnic gustatory experience, and so they'll serve as more reliable guides.

It gets a lot more complicated and specific, too, especially when we want to eat at a restaurant that smells like Mom's kitchen. Then the number of people who might be able to point us to the right place--or tell us to fugeddaboutit--gets even smaller.

I grew up in northern NJ, 7 miles from Manhattan. Have lived all over NYC. The cuisine that's part of my heritage--Neapolitan--seems to be least represented here. And that's not to say that I don't appreciate other types of Italian food. I certainly do, but sometimes one just gets a jones on for that familiar taste of home.

Good luck in your search for satisfying Chinese cuisine--the kind you know and love!
Yeah, you know what I'm talking 'bout! Neopolitan...I think you need to fugeddaboutit unless you're cooking it yourself and good luck finding the right ingredients! Althought it's a bit better now than when I first moved here

Old 11-11-2007, 11:47 PM

359 posts, read 1,407,362 times
as for chinese ingredients, theres a store called 99 ranch (not 99c store) on spring mountain road. if you are looking for chinese ingredients or asian in general, then look here. or you can go to the other various stores in the area. if im correct, this place is pretty much the china town of las vegas. many many asian stores there. oh and the 99 ranch sells barley tea !! not to mention sake hope this info helps you !

Old 05-30-2008, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,796 times
Unhappy Chinese food in Vegas:

There is not one good NYC style chinese food rest in Vegas. So I suggest the next time you go back East (BRING A COOLER)with you. The last time I was there, I honestly had it for breafast, lunch and dinner. If some one out there could open one up, they would clean up on all of us chinese foodies who are use to the GOOD STUFF. For real I am still looking for that special place.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:51 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIYAMEEMA View Post
There is not one good NYC style chinese food rest in Vegas. So I suggest the next time you go back East (BRING A COOLER)with you. The last time I was there, I honestly had it for breafast, lunch and dinner. If some one out there could open one up, they would clean up on all of us chinese foodies who are use to the GOOD STUFF. For real I am still looking for that special place.
That's great. New York Style Chinese restaurant. Ha, ha. How about the Chinese style Chinese restaurants in Chinatown? New Yorkers slay me.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:04 AM

1,177 posts, read 459,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
As long as we're being naughty...this is true. My wife and I had dinner at a Vietnamese restaurant the other night. We had just learned that most of them have the word Pho in the name, and that it is pronounced Fuh. The place where we ate is called Pho Kim Long.
LOL!!
I eat there quite a bit and laugh about it everytime I go but, their Pho is rather tasty and I love their boba slushes!

Old 06-01-2008, 10:12 AM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,860 times
I grew up in the San Jose, CA area and the Vietnamese community is very large there. The best Pho can be found in San Jose, but the ones in Las Vegas aren't too shabby. I've met some of Vietnamese that live here and 2 out of 3 is from San Jose.

When New Yorkers talk about "new york style Chinese food" they are not talking about authentic but that Americanized/New York taste. For those of us that is from CA, you know what the "real" Chinese food tastes like and its nothing like New York style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas