Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 08:07 AM

13 posts, read 44,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhale View Post
I'm still loving it here but I will cast my vote for the rudest people. I don't believe they're from here, just tourists that feel they can act however they want. In FL I saw it, on my travels around the world I've seen it, Americans just don't give a poo when they are on vacation. Maybe we're just so repressed where ever we come from but there's something so overwhelmingly liberating about being in a place you'll never see again that makes Americans complete douche bags. I don't know but folks here will drive like crap, not hold doors open, cut in front of you while walking, spill drinks on you and it won't even phase them.

As far as solitude among your neighborhood, that's just luck of the draw. You get along or you don't. Not sure what that has to do with Vegas, if you have friends at work or from other activities that should be enough. If you don't, well, that's probably your own fault and not the city's.
I live in florida and the old people here are the worst. I worked in a bakery and they were so rude. They think because they are old you are suppose to kiss their ass. They would actually throw things at you if they got mad enough. Plus they are the worst drivers in the world. Most roads here you do at least 60mph and they will pull out in front of you doing 15mph. Their reflexes are just too slow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 05:52 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,239,224 times
This is an interesting blast-from-the-past thread.

I'm in Japan, and my 1st choice is Southern Nevada.

After that, Florida has been my other consideration. CLEARWATER or FT.LAUDERDALE in particular.

Anyone reading this forum now that would discourage either of those places. I re-read the thread and beaches and sports seems to be the TAMPA/i.e. CLEARWATER choice. For me, sports is a very low priority. Actually everything about Vegas appeals to me (except I do wish beaches were there as well, but can't have it all).

I've driven around FLORIDA...and the beaches were the biggest appeal and I do like cities...but I really didn't care for Tampa at all, but I did find coastal Miami interesting (but unaffordable), and northern of Miami just seemed more interesting - i.e. up near Ft. Lauderdale, etc.

In short, anyone have anything to say about CLEARWATER, FL or about FT LAUDERDALE, FL?

Old 12-15-2008, 04:55 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,386,636 times
Tampa is the arm pit of Florida, don't move there unless you can afford a house around $700,000+I don't have any first hand experience with Henderson, so I cannot comment there.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:43 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,309,424 times
I think in order to live in Florida, you have to really like humidity. My choice between Florida and Henderson,NV would be Henderson of course.
We have beaches here... Lake Mead. Lake las Vegas, Desert Shores, The Lakes.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:40 PM

2,288 posts, read 1,589,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I think in order to live in Florida, you have to really like humidity. My choice between Florida and Henderson,NV would be Henderson of course.
We have beaches here... Lake Mead. Lake Las Vegas, Desert Shores, The Lakes.
Not necessarily love it but able to adjust to it. It depends on what you like and want in life.

Since I am a tennis bum and Vegas (even w/ Agassi) not being a tennis city in any sense, I lean towards FL. They even canceled a pro event being held there a few years ago the turnouts are so low. OTOH, FL is a tennis haven; lots of touring pros and up and coming juniors stay in the Tampa/Bradenton area to train. In either city, nobody is playing from 10am to 5pm during the summer. I guess the same can go for golfers as they prefer FL as well.

If you like going into establishments and seeing gambling machines or after taking a nice shower walking into a store, or whatever, then coming out smelling like cigarette smoke that is Vegas. I mean jeez...even the drive back to SoCal to pump up your gas, you will have a tobacco scent getting back into your car. The city also has the most crime per capita in the USA. Wonder why? ohh.....gambling losses and lots of drug usage from the party-goers. It is not made to be a family city.
Its Apples & Kiwis (more vitamin C ) I guess. Vegas is great for entertainment and FL more for outdoors.

FWIW: Does this mean Tampa for me, not really. I prefer Ft Lauderdale over Tampa. If you are young in FL just stay in the popular areas. Granny isn't out driving at 11pm drinking mojitos (hopefully).

Old 10-21-2011, 10:53 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,011,620 times
Tampa is one of my favorite places. I have spent a LOT of time in that city. Like everywhere else in Florida, the closer you are to the ocean, the better the lifestyle.

But, the cost of living. If you have the means, Tampa rules all over Henderson -- million dollar house for million dollar house. But in Henderson, you're not going to spend $35,000 annually for windstorm insurance.

And I'll take ANY place in the Keys over Tampa or Henderson. Just be ready for that annual windstorm bill. Or pay cash and self-insure and hope FEMA bails your ass out if the big one hits.

When I first moved to the Keys, it was one or two tropical storms every year, with maybe one Category One or Two hurricane every two or three years. Now it's five tropical storms a year, and a One, Two or Three every year.

Once it gets to Four or Five, you're [censored]. That ain't happening in Hendo.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:40 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,020,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
Vegas is great for entertainment and FL more for outdoors.
I have to disagree with you on this point. Yes LAS Vegas is great for entertainment, BUT for those who know, LAS Vegas is an outdoorsman PARADISE! The warmer climate in both places allow more outdoor activities during the year.

I can't name the sheer amount of outdoor activities you can do here, mountain hiking, snow skiing(can't do that in FL), Lake Mead etc. Tons of areas to explore within a few hours drive.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:40 PM

15,868 posts, read 14,512,912 times
Yes, I was to Tampa recently, an that was one thing that turned me off about it. Too damned flat. I like the fact that the areas around Vegas have some significant texture. I could see doing some hiking and trail riding up in the mountains.

Tampa bay (but not really Tampa itself) does have the beaches. And it seems to have a more real economy, as opposed to Vegas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
I have to disagree with you on this point. Yes LAS Vegas is great for entertainment, BUT for those who know, LAS Vegas is an outdoorsman PARADISE! The warmer climate in both places allow more outdoor activities during the year.

I can't name the sheer amount of outdoor activities you can do here, mountain hiking, snow skiing(can't do that in FL), Lake Mead etc. Tons of areas to explore within a few hours drive.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:13 AM

390 posts, read 756,865 times
I lived in Bradenton (further so. of Tampa). Nice, but as one poster said, FLAT. And they had a saying there "for the very young, newly wed or very old and nearly dead"...not much in middle. Both places have nice weather in winter, and hot in summer. Humid in Fl, always damp, dry in NV (to a point of skin cracking). By the way theres alot to see and do in Florida and it's only 6 hour drive to Atlanta GA. Prices are similar for housing...sooooo it's all a matter of WHAT you want.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:11 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,011,620 times
The Florida Keys are not nearly as humid as mainland Florida. Key West is 70 miles out to sea, and almost always has a breeze. On windless days, though, the humidity is quite oppressive.

The desert isn't so bad once you get used to it. Keep in mind, the human race sprung up in the Turkana region of East Africa -- we're desert creatures, originally at least. Lake Turkana is the only place I've ever been that's hotter than Nevada.

"Our cradle, Lake Turkana"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas