Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 12:41 PM

1,639 posts, read 1,729,608 times

Advertisements

My father in law was a sun worshiper and developed skin cancer later in life. He had to have a big chunk removed from the back of his leg (an odd spot, not where one would think it could be). It caused him all kinds of problems and took forever to heal. It basically ruined the last few years of his life.

I'm very cautious about how much sun I get, but do like to get some. I don't use sunscreen because I don't feel the need based on how I control my exposure. I do sit in my back yard now and then and my skin lets me know when it is time to head for the shade. I can only take 10-15 minutes or so before I feel "the burn". No way would I be out here for a long period during peak sun hours without high SPF sunscreen. I walk very early in the morning and wear a hat and good sunglasses. I always wear sunglasses when outdoors, even just to go to the mailbox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 12:48 PM

26,250 posts, read 49,156,904 times
It really matters to use sunscreen. As a kid in the 1950s I got blistered a couple of times, really awful for a few days. Solarcaine eased the pain but wow, did it suck. I'm a redhead with fair skin and burn easy so I've stayed out of the sun since then. At 72 I go to the dermatologist every six months for a skin check, so far only one minor skin cancer (basal cell type) was removed but he zaps my forehead a lot to freeze off those pre-cancerous thingies, explained here.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:03 PM

143 posts, read 99,137 times
I grew up in northern Ohio where the summer humidity could be pretty high, and you could tell the difference in sun tan/sun burn between low and high humidity. I wonder if the desert humidity gives folks a break with burns?

Also, I lived in Hawaii in my 20s and 30s and spent more than my fair share of time on the beach, using what was probably a minimal SPF (don't think that term was invented yet) lotion -- Bonnie Bell Sure Tan. Never burned, but got a nice dark tan. In my late 50s, I started going to a dermatologist whose specialty was skin cancers and get a check every 6 to 9 months. I've had a few (3, I think) basal cell carcinomas (relatively benign) removed and one "pre-melanoma" (can't remember the technical name) which was a bit alarming.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:12 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,393,727 times
My wife and I have a joint dermatologist appointment every nine months or so. He just reopened so we will be going in the next 9 weeks. He carries the nitrogen canister with him all the time. I actually mark any places I want him to check and he pretty much zaps them all. Spouse had one run in with a precancerous thing they sliced off but that is about it over 24 years of LV sun.

So we keep track but so far it has not been a problem.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:26 PM

26,250 posts, read 49,156,904 times
Now that the coffee has kicked in, it fired up the memory synapses and I recalled another anecdote from the 1950s. At my Uncle's shore home he had a boat yard next to him, run by a former WW-2 U.S. Navy diver who told us the worst sunburn he ever had was on a cloudy day when he thought he didn't need to cover up from the sun. The burning rays are out there, though scattered and diffused by clouds.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:52 PM

783 posts, read 846,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Are you thinking of something other than keratoses? I was concerned & did a search, and every source says keratoses are non-cancerous and harmless. For example, https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20353878 and https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-...heic-keratosis

At any rate, I've been out biking in the mornings, and my arms are definitely more tanned. Legs not so much. I've discovered that the air vents on bike helmets lead to some uh, interesting burn patterns in my folliclely deprived scalp.
It is this type: Actinic keratoses are pre-malignant growths. Oh, I just noticed this is what Mike linked to....same thing. Dr told me this is a sign you have cumulative damage and need to be super careful. I am blonde/blue/fair and so this happened to me sooner than most. Plus I spent my teen years working dude ranches with no sunscreen.

I used to get really bad 'chapped lips' and rough skin spots on my nose area and then the dermatologist told me they were actually above.

My first few bouts were removed with liquid nitrogen at the doctors, I became concerned I would end up like Michael Jackson with hole on my nose and permanent nose band-aid if that kept up.

I then discovered I can heal these areas myself with organic jojoba oil and a Doterra essential oil blend called "Immortelle" (a blend of biblical oils such as frankincense, myrrh etc). No I do not sell Doterra, no skin in this game other than passing on a natural cure.

I will get these rough patches on my lips or nose within 10 minutes during peak UV hours without protection now. I can leave my arms and legs bare for up to an hour to get the vitamin D sometimes without burning too much. Regarding sunscreen PABA is bad, use the zinc or mineral type. Some sunscreen ingredients can increase your sun damage, I am not kidding. Find good stuff on Amazon, organic...its worth it.

If I use the jojoba oil each night, they usually won't develop. If the spots show up I add in the 'Immortelle' blend.

Last edited by ChrisMT; 06-06-2020 at 02:16 PM..

Old 06-06-2020, 02:20 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,680,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
It is this type: Actinic keratoses are pre-malignant growths.
Ah. Thanks. I know almost zero about health care related stuff. The world is a better place because I didn't attempt to become an MD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas