Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 06:07 PM

135 posts, read 293,603 times

Advertisements

It's for my living room. My new home is pre-wired for surround system. Budget is $2500 to $3000 and must be purchased at RC Willey if it's above $2k. Size from 55" to 60". Is it possible?

I've never had surround system but I'm not looking into a $3k system. Just something descent.

Any advice is appreciated. Haven't bought a new TV in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 06:54 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,134,735 times
this is a Las Vegas question?????

Old 11-05-2012, 07:05 PM

It should have been in the electronic section. sorry.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:29 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,006,314 times
I have a Las Vegas answer for you. Buy the TV at Costco and look for the AV system in thrift stores. Yes, really, thrift stores. I have seen $500 Yamaha and Denon AV systems with 7.0 surround going for $50. I have found (and purchased) Bose 6.2's for $50.

If your "wired house" has locations in the ceiling, get the company that installed your system to mark the locations and then cut the holes yourself. I found six Yamaha AV ceiling speakers for a very good price on Amazon. You can buy the wall panels for all the RCA plugs at Home Depot -- easy install.

I also highly recommend visiting Audio Xperts at Charleston and Fremont. Those guys are great. I bought my tube amp from them, and they did a great repair job when I blew a transformer. They might just have an entire solution for you for very little money.

You live within walking distance from me. Get in touch and you can come over and have a look at my system. I paid around $500 for the audio part of the AV system, and $1,500 for the TV. And I'll take the Pepsi Challenge* against systems that cost four times what I paid.

* Watching Pulp Fiction again.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:53 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,084,555 times
Second the suggestion for getting the tv at Costco. Their warranty can't be beat, for zero cost. I have quite a few samsungs - a combo of newer LEDs and older LCDs. I like the samsungs, but I have two sharp smart tvs. Last one was a 60" smart TV for a little over 2k. The newer Sharps look better than the older Samsung LCDs. More screen at a lower cost for the same specs.

I usually get all my other stuff at Frys, I love that store. They have sales all the time. Picked up a Denon AVR 1913 about a week and a half ago for my office for 350. 90 wats per channel with Internet radio, pandora, AirPlay, etc. of course the speakers depend on your space but frys has the mid range Polk, Klipsch, JBL, etc. a few moths ago I picked up a pair of JBL ES 80s for 275 a pair...basically half off. Good sound for a bedroom.

Don't even bother with Best Buy unless you're checking their open box deals and you already know the specs. Their prices are too high.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I have a Las Vegas answer for you. Buy the TV at Costco and look for the AV system in thrift stores. Yes, really, thrift stores. I have seen $500 Yamaha and Denon AV systems with 7.0 surround going for $50. I have found (and purchased) Bose 6.2's for $50.

If your "wired house" has locations in the ceiling, get the company that installed your system to mark the locations and then cut the holes yourself. I found six Yamaha AV ceiling speakers for a very good price on Amazon. You can buy the wall panels for all the RCA plugs at Home Depot -- easy install.

I also highly recommend visiting Audio Xperts at Charleston and Fremont. Those guys are great. I bought my tube amp from them, and they did a great repair job when I blew a transformer. They might just have an entire solution for you for very little money.

You live within walking distance from me. Get in touch and you can come over and have a look at my system. I paid around $500 for the audio part of the AV system, and $1,500 for the TV. And I'll take the Pepsi Challenge* against systems that cost four times what I paid.

* Watching Pulp Fiction again.
Thanks. Scooplv. can you link me to the yamaha you found on amazon. I do have the receptacles already for the ceiling. I'll check out Audio Xperts at Charleston like you stated and see what they have. We will have to get together now that i'm closer. You should read the e-mail I had to type to the builder. What a challenge and lack of customer service they have. Not to mention the sub-contractors that they use.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latin_racer View Post
Thanks. Scooplv. can you link me to the yamaha you found on amazon. I do have the receptacles already for the ceiling. I'll check out Audio Xperts at Charleston like you stated and see what they have. We will have to get together now that i'm closer. You should read the e-mail I had to type to the builder. What a challenge and lack of customer service they have. Not to mention the sub-contractors that they use.
Speakers. I assume you need six:

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Yamaha NSIW280CWH3P Set of 6 Easy-to-install In-Ceiling 3-Wa

I would scour the thrift stores on my days off for a month or so before giving up on thrifts. I find killer deals on audio equipment ALL THE TIME. And they have a seven-day return policy, so you can take the Denon or Yamaha surround sound amp home, try it out, then return it if it isn't for you.

A little patience can save you hundreds of dollars. Frankly, I don't know why people are donating such good stuff to Goodwill. It's not like it's hard to sell or anything. Although, these systems almost NEVER come with the remote. So a universal remote will be needed. I'm guessing that someone spilled a beer on the remote, discovered that an OEM replacement is stupidly expensive, and then bought a pricey replacement without thinking about the universal remote option. (The OEM replacement for my AV amp costs, I kid you not, $400. Supply and demand, after all.)

I go to Audio Xpress for the hard to find analog equipment -- tube amps, preamps, good Klipsch (as opposed to the mass market crap they're selling now*) and similar. I'm a record collector, and those guys have the classic gear for the serious audiophile. They have AV setups, and they'll sell you better stuff than Fry's for less than Fry's. (But it's used.)

But try the thrifts first. Every week I find a good deal. Sometimes I consider buying the stuff I find, even though I don't need it. I can make a quick profit selling it on eBay. But it's not worth the hassle, so I leave the equipment for someone who can use it.

* Klipsch still makes great speakers. But you're not going to find them at a place like Fry's . A pair of Klipsch Palladiums will set you back $15K. As far as I'm concerned, a $200 speaker is a $200 speaker, no matter who makes it. If you want sonic fidelity, you gotta pay for it. Or, learn a little about speaker design, woodworking, and make your own. Even then, a good set of DIY stereo speakers will set you back a couple thousand. Hell, the cartridge I use on my turntable cost more than my first car. Although, to be frank, I didn't pay a hell of a lot for my first car. But you get the idea.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:06 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,867,846 times
Las Vegas is a wasteland when it comes to affordable high-end audio. At one end you've got people who buy sound bars and HTIBs from a big-box store, and at the other are the wealthy, whose theater designers are installing Meridian Audio equipment into their dedicated theater rooms, with full Crestron automation systems. There's nothing in between for the person who has $5k to $20k to spend.

My main sources of equipment when I'm here are Craigslist in LA, and Audiogon.com. There you will find people who have to have the latest and greatest, and they'll sell you their year-old equipment for half or a third of what they paid new. My two-channel system has a pair of mint Paradigm Signature S8s that retail for $7500, and I paid $3200 for them because their previous owner had to have the latest version.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:43 AM

I have a feeling that Latin Racer isn't looking for high-end audio. Just a "good-enough" system for watching movies and television. That can be done on the cheap here.

If his original post said that he wanted to listen to Miles Davis records on a perfect system, my advice would be far different. But decent home theater can be done for not a whole lot of money. I don't bother with "great" when it comes to digital. It's digital. It ain't never gonna be "great." Decent is good enough. No need for a Plineus Odeon to listen to Monday Night Football, after all.

Home Theater in a Box (HTIB) is the worst possible purchase, though. The manufacturers are basically selling junk, slapping their somewhat good name on it and going with the philosophy of, "Hey, a buck's a buck." (Looking at you, Klipsch and Bose.)

Old 11-06-2012, 08:06 AM

Correct. Just a nice surround system to enjoy an HD movie with the family and feel the kick. Thanks for all the suggestion. From what I understand it's best to piece your surround system versus buying a complete package. For now, I'll just buy the TV since i'll be leaving town for a few weeks and my parents will be taking care of the house. At least they can watch TV and i'll just take my time to buil a surround system setup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas