Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 12:58 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,956,011 times

Advertisements

I know that a lot of you think he came by it honestly and others think dishonestly..And even though it is LV...LV has always been and always will be just as low down and have as much dishonesty as other places around the world...

My opinion is if he was that flippant about losing it he probably did not come by it as honestly as we might assume...

AND maybe he even came to LV with that money to make a payoff or buy illegal things....

OR maybe he even "acquired" the briefcase and had no idea what was in it until they contacted him...Maybe that's why he gave such a crappy tip....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 01:03 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,545,327 times
Let's get back to the topic of the good deed, rather than the useless speculation about the source of the money, and the personal comments that go with it. Thanks.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:05 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,203,795 times
People that have lived in Las Vegas long enough to know something about the town will accept the his source is his buisness and our business is simply to take it from him .

The fact that he's a cheap S.O.B. is a totally differant issue.....

as to the "Good Deed" the driver did what he should have done and his tip, I'm sure, was still appreciated. ANYONE that works for tips KNOWS that you win some and you loose some and some are rained out.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:27 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,178,037 times
2 grand is not to be sneezed at. Like I said earlier, if the guy really did win it, he has to pay taxes on it. The driver seemed perfectly happy with his tip, it was others who were complaining.

It is my firm belief that doing the right thing has it's own rewards.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:56 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,997,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Let's get back to the topic of the good deed, rather than the useless speculation about the source of the money, and the personal comments that go with it. Thanks.
the legality (or immorality) of the source of funds may factor into person's willingness to return the funds to a source.

Most decent people would have a hard time absconding with a retired teacher's cashed out 401k account.

on the contrary, if the money was gained from illicit sources others may be less likely to feel guilt about forgetting to return it.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:14 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,997,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
WHERE is the original source anyones business but the man holding the bag?

Because he has money this means hes dishonest?

By THAT rationale anyone that travels between Bang **** and NY is in the drug trade smuggling opium.

Get a life Commander Data......ths is LAS VEGAS......MONEY is everywhere......
LOL, no, having large amounts of cash does not necessarily equate to illegality;however, I am sure there is a positive correlation between carrying large amounts of cash on one's person and the legality of said cash.

Sorry, but legit folk folk who earn their money in honest ways do not leave a quaterml in the back of a taxi.

Who's business is it? not mine for sure, but I am almost sure that our Uncle and its employees take a different view.

Your BKK to JFK analogy is actually pretty good. I was detained by CPD & ICE for two hours last month because of my frequent asia to las vegas travel. They did not believe I was a freshman at CU traveling to school flying C Class and essentially accused me of money laundering Not a pleasant experience. They actually called the lawyer that obtained my injury settlement to verify how I was funding my lifestyle.

frankly, I would have stopped me too. My story sounds specious.

Unfortunately, your see no evil hear no evil gimme the cash attitude is not shared by all in our society..but in Vegas, it's not your job to ask questions. I agree.

Maybe the guy just sold his house, has Alzheimers , and was going to Manila to retire.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:14 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,178,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
Is this directed at me? if so, what is the ID-10_T club hall of fame?
You have a name like Datafeed and you don't know what the ID -10_ T club is? Kinda like a Pebkac error.

The comments on the story from the local news rags websites were harsh. I don't know about you, but I can't keep things that don't belong to me. Now, if I KNEW it was dope money or something, I might be tempted, but then, that's blood money, so no.

The cabbie now has two grand he didn't have before. He has his integrity. It's a happy story.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:43 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,545,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
the legality (or immorality) of the source of funds may factor into person's willingness to return the funds to a source.

Most decent people would have a hard time absconding with a retired teacher's cashed out 401k account.

on the contrary, if the money was gained from illicit sources others may be less likely to feel guilt about forgetting to return it.
I think this cabbie turned in the money because it wasn't HIS, not because of where he thought the "owner" got it from. (And, unless it had paperwork with it, no one would know that the cash they found was from a retired teacher's cashed out 401K.) Most people who find lots of money, that you read about in the paper, have no idea where it came from, so that doesn't really enter into their moral decision.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:45 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,440,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I think this cabbie turned in the money because it wasn't HIS, not because of where he thought the "owner" got it from. (And, unless it had paperwork with it, no one would know that the cash they found was from a retired teacher's cashed out 401K.) Most people who find lots of money, that you read about in the paper, have no idea where it came from, so that doesn't really enter into their moral decision.
I agree. The cabbie was a decent man. I believe some good karma will come his way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: