Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 04:46 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,823,672 times

Advertisements

Las Vegas is 12.1%.

It is much the same as the surrounding communities. A little better than the inland empire in CA for example.

The construction workers either have to retread or go elsewhere. While things in that industry will get better it will be a slow process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 05:22 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,958,054 times
Just picking through the scam ads on CL is a job in itself.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:03 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,142,991 times
I quit my job last month and find myself unemployed for the first time since I was sixteen years old. I haven't applied for anything yet, but I got an offer off of Linked In. Unfortunately, it was in an undesirable part of California.

I'm not counted in the statistics because I'm not collecting benefits. We'll see what happens. I'm in a fairly high-demand field, so I'm hoping the employment Gods will smile on me.

As far as the election goes: When we elect a President, we are not electing a king. They don't have that much control over the economy or gas prices, otherwise we'd have a rip-snortin' economy and cheap gas every four years.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:09 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,085,599 times
[mod cut-- orphaned response to deleted posts].

To the laziness of people in Vegas it's difficult to lump millions of people into one category. Some are lazy, but I'd say more are complacent. I have $10 hr employees that start their mornings at 5:00 am and take multiple buses to be able to make it to work by 8:30.

The sales guys meanwhile are consistently 15-30 minutes late everyday even though they make 3-4x what the $10hr guys make.

All my engineers who make between $37.50 - and $150 an hour are ALL from out of town. It's not from a lack of responses it's from horrible follow up. I cannot count the number of times people either don't follow up, don't reply to emails, or can't drive 20 minutes across town to see if the job is a fit. A huge percentage of those who are scheduled for an interview don't even show up.

It's perplexing to say the least. I've never experienced any problems recruiting and hiring in CA. The largest number of employees I was responsible for was around 90 and recruiting training was a full time job. I would never even attempt to hire that many people here.

I've never been unemployed, but regardless of how frustrated you become in your job search just know that those hiring you are probably just as frustrated with all the deadbeats, unintelligible resumes, etc. if you follow up, are confident and professional you'll stand way above the masses. Hiring managers want that position filled as much as you want to fill it.

Don't be like the other schmucks and you stand a good shot of landing a gig.

Last edited by observer53; 09-30-2012 at 07:43 AM..

Old 09-29-2012, 09:24 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,945,681 times
The unemployment rate is not a true figure as it is a composite of a number of survey's of a rather small number of people in a given area or region...

One would think the unemplyment numbers would be based on the number of individuals on unemplyment but that is far from what it is based on..

We will never get a true unemployment rate anywhere as there are too many variables in the surveys....

So if Las Vegas is 21.7% and the population is say 2,500,000 that would mean roughly 542,500 people are unemployed...

That is a big number.. BUT what if it is actually lower or higher...

If you do not take into account everyone who is unemployed and not on unemployemnt or sending out resumes or filling out surveys it "should" change the number..

On the other hand what if there were people who were on unemployment or sending out resumes or taking surveys answering whatever they felt and had no intention of working, it again "should" change the number....

Old 09-29-2012, 09:48 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,170,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
The unemployment rate is not a true figure as it is a composite of a number of survey's of a rather small number of people in a given area or region...

One would think the unemplyment numbers would be based on the number of individuals on unemplyment but that is far from what it is based on..

We will never get a true unemployment rate anywhere as there are too many variables in the surveys....

So if Las Vegas is 21.7% and the population is say 2,500,000 that would mean roughly 542,500 people are unemployed...

That is a big number.. BUT what if it is actually lower or higher...

If you do not take into account everyone who is unemployed and not on unemployemnt or sending out resumes or filling out surveys it "should" change the number..

On the other hand what if there were people who were on unemployment or sending out resumes or taking surveys answering whatever they felt and had no intention of working, it again "should" change the number....
What I don't understand is that even during the boom years, we still had 4% unemployment. This is during a time when you could close your eyes, walk outside and stumble upon a job paying at least twice the minimum wage. Then quit that job and find another even better in about 20 mins.

4% of 2.5 million is still about 100k people out of work. So do we account for the 4% that could not even find work during a boom? If you could not find work in 2006 then finding work in 2012 is

Sent from cell...

Old 09-29-2012, 10:30 PM

23,251 posts, read 29,103,005 times
I comb the Craigslist/Slaveslist ads every day for my Mexican roommate, of 13 years, and he's eager to do any kind of work, with a 30 year background of construction/remodeling/handyman work. He's computer illiterate, his English skills are lacking, and even more handicapped, no car/truck, but has every tool imaginable.

I plug away for him, occasionally, but with his "handicaps", I'm doubtful he'll land a job anytime soon, or ever!

But when I look at the requirements today that I see on Craigslist, and the pay, it's a wonder to me they can find anyone to do the work! Don't employers realize how this 2nd Great Depression has so financially crippled so many potential workers, that it can be a great hardship to just take the bus to go somewhere to fill out an application. $5 for an all day pass on the bus! My roommate, he simply can't even afford that!

Old 09-30-2012, 06:44 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,767,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Unemployment rate in LV remains amongst the highest in the nation at 12.9%. Why? Is it because people continue moving to LV from other depressed areas?
The Truth About Unemployment in Las Vegas Part III | The Guardian Express

"Back when I was looking for work, I had an antagonizer, you know how they always come along at the “right” time. He was utterly flabbergasted at the fact that I did not have a job. He would often yell at me about it saying that I didn’t really want a job because if I did I would have one."

Last edited by eventusstultorummagister; 09-30-2012 at 06:54 AM..

Old 09-30-2012, 06:47 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,767,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Las Vegas is 12.1%.

It is much the same as the surrounding communities. A little better than the inland empire in CA for example.

The construction workers either have to retread or go elsewhere. While things in that industry will get better it will be a slow process.
Bill Anderson, chief economist for the Nevada's Department of Employment says, “When you account for the discouraged workers and the under-employed due to economic reasons, the unemployment rate is running over 23%."

While the figures themselves have been gloomy enough, there is considerable debate over whether the Labor Department's headline numbers present the true picture.

A measure that takes into account those who have stopped looking for jobs as well as those working part-time for economic reasons has hovered well above the headline rate that only counts the unemployed actively looking for jobs. The so-called "real" unemployment rate, or U-6 measure, is above 20 percent in Nevada and California.

The unemployment rate for teenagers edged higher to 23.8 percent.

http://www.moneyshow.com/investing/a...-Unemployment/

"As the saying goes, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics, and nowhere can that be more true than the stats that we hear about when politicians are talking about unemployment"

Old 09-30-2012, 07:44 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Take the national political discussions to P and OC, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: