Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:42 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,772,730 times

Advertisements

I went to Redfin last night and looked at homes in the Summerlin area. Not so simple as I had hoped. It is difficult to determine what is Summerlin, what is Sun City Summerlin (I'm assuming there's a difference), and what is Las Vegas. I have to rely on what Redfin says and I'm always suspicious of that since it lists what a realtor put in for location and... I have to hope they are right.

What I found in our price range was meager to say the least. The majority were floor plans (like the Hancock) that only have two bedrooms and no area that can convert to a third or a craft/computer room. Not what we want. Being a nice place to live in a wonderful location is great, but not if there are no homes that fit our needs.

I went to the SCS site and noted all the amenities (rec centers), but I never could figure out where they were. Either on their site or using Google. I did finally find an outline for SCS so I should be able to combine it with Redfin to ascertain if a home is in SCS.

I'll keep looking. I don't want to miss something because I didn't find what we want right away. If nothing else I am persistent - and stubborn to boot.

Thanks for the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 09:48 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,020,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

What I found in our price range was meager to say the least. The majority were floor plans (like the Hancock) that only have two bedrooms and no area that can convert to a third or a craft/computer room. Not what we want. Being a nice place to live in a wonderful location is great, but not if there are no homes that fit our needs.

It's a shame you can't just buy our house. I have a full wood shop in the garage, and there's a craft room for Mrs. Scoop. (Although the chances of me selling my tools or Mrs. Scoop parting with any of her crafting stuff are, well, slim.)

Here's what $200K buys in our neck of the desert: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...ex=NV544012092

Old 08-08-2012, 12:46 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,772,730 times
The problem is that we want an area that has the amenities that can only be found someplace like Sun Cities. That's a nice house for the money, but I know nothing about the area.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:16 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,320,665 times
Sun City Location

This map helps in finding a home within Sun City Summerlin. OleCapt once posted a better map that showed the boundaries in detail.
A lot of Realtors will say something is in Summerlin, when it's just near there. It gets people more interested in the home's. A sneaky selling tactic.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:20 PM

The home Scoop posted...terrible kitchen. I detest the open floor plan type kitchens. Plus just having to cross Nellis to get home, no way! Stick to Sun Cities Tek-Freek. I may end up being your neighbor over there some day.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:33 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,020,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
The home Scoop posted...terrible kitchen. I detest the open floor plan type kitchens. Plus just having to cross Nellis to get home, no way! Stick to Sun Cities Tek-Freek. I may end up being your neighbor over there some day.
And I detest small walled-in kitchens. At this house, the kitchen is THE main room.

I've mentioned that a lot of people are hesitant (or downright hostile) to the idea of crossing Sunrise Manor to get to the peaceful and secluded "East of Hollywood" area. But unless I'm mistaken, no area offers more house for less money.

A half-acre lot (well, almost), more than 2,000 sqft of living space, modern, with a pool, and a commanding view of the strip for $200K. What would that cost in Summerlin? $400K? $500K? I couldn't find a place that had a large lot, pool and a view that was less than seven figures -- but those where also mini-mansions in the 8,000 square foot range. Not really apples to apples.

The point is, how much is the clubhouse really worth? Double? Not to me it isn't.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:49 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,963,096 times
What's the problem with crossing Nellis? Just a "bad" area? Traffic? car-jackings? Just wondering.

I like open floor plans, to an extent, and it depends how many people are living in the house. In MI, I had a large kitchen that opened to a great room and sometimes I just wanted some peace while cleaning or cooking, without the tv and the people watching blaring at me. Other times, it is nice to be a part of everything instead of feeling like you are the only one slaving!

I like that house, except it just seems to out in the sun. No relief from trees or anything. If you had a bunch of money it would be nice to have some nice trees put in. Or...I can hang out at Lowe's waiting for Yard Crashers to hit me up!

Old 08-08-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
And I detest small walled-in kitchens. At this house, the kitchen is THE main room.

I've mentioned that a lot of people are hesitant (or downright hostile) to the idea of crossing Sunrise Manor to get to the peaceful and secluded "East of Hollywood" area. But unless I'm mistaken, no area offers more house for less money.

A half-acre lot (well, almost), more than 2,000 sqft of living space, modern, with a pool, and a commanding view of the strip for $200K. What would that cost in Summerlin? $400K? $500K? I couldn't find a place that had a large lot, pool and a view that was less than seven figures -- but those where also mini-mansions in the 8,000 square foot range. Not really apples to apples.

The point is, how much is the clubhouse really worth? Double? Not to me it isn't.
I detest small walled in kitchens too. i want a BIG walled in kitchen. If it has to be next to the living room, at least make it squared off, 3 walls, not the big open concept. I have that now, and I do not care for it.
I am not hostile to the thought of crossing Nellis, I detest it.
It's a crappy area. Enough said.

Scoop, believe it or not, some people want to live in the Sun Cities, not just for the amenities, but for the fact that it's much quieter, no kids, a pleasant atmosphere. And did I mention quiet?
Lighten up a little. It's good for you.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:18 PM

11,178 posts, read 16,051,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
It's not the clubhouse, it's what takes place inside the clubhouse (and other areas of the community).

Have you ever been on a cruise ship? Every day the passengers receive a newletter that lists the myriad planned activities that are going on all day and night in several different venues on the ship. Passengers are free to indulge in whatever activities strike their fancy. Or they can just relax by the resort-style pool and do nothing if they so choose.

Living in an "active adult" 55+ community is very similar. Every day there are numerous planned activities occuring thoughout the morning, afternoon, and evening. Residents can join any number of clubs, participate in various physical activities/sports/leagues, or take advantage of planned outings.

The availability of all these various clubs/activities is very enticing to retirees, especially those who have relocated and are looking for an easy way to meet new people and make new friends. It is the reason that housing in a 55+ community commands a premium over similar properties in non-55+ communities.

Now none of this may be of interest to you now, but then again, it's not geared to someone your age.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:58 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,830,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I went to Redfin last night and looked at homes in the Summerlin area. Not so simple as I had hoped. It is difficult to determine what is Summerlin, what is Sun City Summerlin (I'm assuming there's a difference), and what is Las Vegas. I have to rely on what Redfin says and I'm always suspicious of that since it lists what a realtor put in for location and... I have to hope they are right.

I went to the SCS site and noted all the amenities (rec centers), but I never could figure out where they were. Either on their site or using Google. I did finally find an outline for SCS so I should be able to combine it with Redfin to ascertain if a home is in SCS.

I'll keep looking. I don't want to miss something because I didn't find what we want right away. If nothing else I am persistent - and stubborn to boot.

Thanks for the information.
The Sun City Search is relatively simple. Zip 89134 and "age restricted" or "Sun City" in the development name.

If you can get by with two bedrooms and a den there are a number of models that will meet your price or close. Hancock has a version with a den for instance. It is possible in most models to move the washer/dryer to the garage and make a small office/craft room out of the laundry run. That can be done in the Hancock for instance. So you can have a den and a small office if you find the right Hancock.

There are other models that have optional dens down to 1500SF.

Three bedrooms start at 2100 SF and cost $225K and upward. You might find a beat up Matara for $200K or less on a foreclosure.

Inventory is very low in Sun City at the moment. So you likely need to watch them go by...any Realtor can set you up with a suitable autofeed if you can't get it off Redfin or Zillow. Note the Realtor search can be more powerful than any of the secondary sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas