Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 01:41 PM

88 posts, read 150,895 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

I've read through some of the posts here and I've gathered quite a bit of info from those. However, I just wanted to get some feedback using 'our personal' criteria so to speak, and in anticipation I'm very grateful to anyone who has advice to offer.

Hubby and I (no kids) looking to locate to Nellis AFB (he's air force) in the next 6 months. I keep hearing so many different points of view on Aliente/north and Henderson.

What we are looking for is:
Good commute for hubby to work (Nellis) - 15 to 30mins would be ideal
Convenient for me for work (likely to be either Henderson or the Strip)

Prefer newer build properties (larger) but here's the caveat - hate being on top of the neighbors - like most folk, we appreciate privacy when in your own home!
Very nice/decent/safe/respectable area - we're not youngsters - we don't need headaches!
Must be quiet neighborhood

Good restaurants and bars and local shopping (not strip malls) would be great
Low crime

Again, many thanks for reading and for anyone who takes the time to respond, a Big Fat Thank You!!!

Jessey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 02:10 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,047,447 times
Unfortunately "newer house" and "larger lot" are largely contradictory. Unless you have a lot of money to spend on real estate, it is likely you will have to choose one or the other.

I would also add "not being under the flight path" to your criteria. I know people that have to press "pause" on their TV remote every 10 minutes some days because of the jet noise. That would drive me nuts.

I find traffic and commuting in Las Vegas to be a non-issue. At least compared to places like Miami or Southern California. Even if you moved to the extreme Northwest, your husband can be at work in around 30 minutes using the 215.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:05 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,177,234 times
Boca Park or Centennial Hills.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:53 PM

700 posts, read 1,333,566 times
Anything north of craig road for him, doesnt particularly matter for you as mentioned. While traffic is a non issue there will be a few hang ups every now and again. Usually when you have to take a poop, or some other family emergency. Nellis is isolated in the NE corner of town and one might grow weary traveling from Henderson everyday, but people do it. It will be worth it just to come down and look. I dont have a whole foods or olive garden right next to my house, but I can drive to one in 15 minutes. Also be mindful that due to being out west and people building just to build because construction is an "industry", new neighborhood will be undesirable sooner than it should be.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:35 PM

88 posts, read 150,895 times
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the info...
Hi Scoop - yes, I thought the newer house might not go hand in hand with the larger plot!
Glad you mentioned the tv - I hadn't thought of that one!
Hi LNgal - thanks for those areas - I'll check them out...
Hi Demonkite - thanks for your input - I've only been to Vegas a handful of times - hubby has been there loads but doesn't really know the residential areas (he was working at Nellis). It's definitley on the cards for us to do a rekky and check out a few places - I'm just trying to do a bit of upfront research - thanks everyone...

Old 07-27-2012, 06:38 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,078,716 times
Aliante or Centennial Hills... very easy... I live at Elkhorn & Decatur.... 25 minutes to strip.... 12 to what i think is the entrance to Nellis (Range Road?)

Old 07-27-2012, 06:47 PM

700 posts, read 1,333,566 times
Also, where will your husband works? Hospital, flightline, and RED HORSE/Rescue are all in different areas of the base and could potentially affect how you commute.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:57 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,177,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Aliante or Centennial Hills... very easy... I live at Elkhorn & Decatur.... 25 minutes to strip.... 12 to what i think is the entrance to Nellis (Range Road?)
She wants good shopping (no strip malls) nearby. We don't have great shopping in the Aliante area, that's why I recommended Boca Park even though it's further away.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:24 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,194,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoknite View Post
Also, where will your husband works? Hospital, flightline, and RED HORSE/Rescue are all in different areas of the base and could potentially affect how you commute.
Most definitely matters. From Main base to Red Horse is an average 15 minutes. I had to change my whole morning commute when I transferred to Red Horse.

Sent from phone using app

Old 07-27-2012, 08:35 PM

2,723 posts, read 4,776,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Boca Park or Centennial Hills.
You nailed it!
...if they had school-aged kids I would have scratched Centennial (and added Green Valley/Seven Hills)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas