Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 09:25 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,406,877 times

Advertisements

I had a real fireplace and had gas installed, it gave just enough heat to take the chill off early morning or late in the evening in the winter. We really enjoyed it. Get your fireplace serviced because obviously it needs it no matter what your plans are. Better to be safe than wonder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 10:00 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,809,582 times
Information on Gas Fireplace Inserts | eHow.com Here is a good site with a ton of info.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:14 PM

687 posts, read 4,406,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
DO NOT pull out gas logs and burn real wood in a fireplace designed to only burn natural gas. If you burn real logs in a gas fireplace, you will burn your house down. A pile of wood fully ablaze burns much hotter than a gas log.
I should have explained a little better in my post, yes make sure it is a true wood burning fireplace! Our house was built in 87 and has a true wood burner but most of the neighbors opted to have a gas log conversion, I however think it's pretty dumb to have a real fireplace and only run gas in it.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:31 PM

973 posts, read 1,390,818 times
Default Here's what I did with mine....

...in addition to a wall (didn't want a short cue situation) and a blocked window (the sill became the cue rack base). My neighbor and I had a blast!

Last edited by Vegaschips; 09-10-2013 at 10:58 PM..

Old 07-20-2012, 01:27 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,954,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpa2d2 View Post
We had one of those in our living room...we ended up pushing it back in the wall, and drywalled over it. It was useless and took up valuable furniture space.
I saw many homes that did this when I was looking. I think it is a good idea. You are right, it's useless. I don't need the ambiance while wasting gas without getting any heat. Thinking about doing this too. I hate the coves in the homes and I hate the pot shelves. Waste of space and just a place to put junk that will need to be dusted. I would rather the living space. I would like to move the whole wall back that has the fireplace and the tv cubby so I can put what I want, not what will fit.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:50 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,007,440 times
You can get heat from one of those gas insert fireplaces. But expect to pay for it. Like a couple thousand. Google "Heatilator."

I have one of the useless "looks only" fireplaces. I turn it on once a year just to insure it's still working. There's no "drywalling over" it. It's too important to the way the room looks. If cold in Las Vegas was actually an issue, I'd buy a Heatilator.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:59 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,057,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
Information on Gas Fireplace Inserts | eHow.com Here is a good site with a ton of info.
I have been considering these. My house is Spanish and the fireplace is sort of a design element I would hate to lose. I guess I don't want to waste the energy I use. I want the heat. The insert might be the way to go. My house was built in 74 so I am thinking the fireplace is 'real'? The gas logs were probably added later?

I also found a cheap man's fix for the damper. At least a temporary fix. You take a drawstring garbage bag and tear the drawstring so it is still attached but hangs down. Then you put an old throw pillow in the bag. Stuff the whole thing up in the flue right against the damper and let the drawstring hang down to remind you it's there. So you won't try to light the fireplace with the flue blocked... I'll just leave this in place till I have the money to get the insert done.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:27 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,449,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
I had a real fireplace and had gas installed, it gave just enough heat to take the chill off early morning or late in the evening in the winter. We really enjoyed it. Get your fireplace serviced because obviously it needs it no matter what your plans are. Better to be safe than wonder.
We did the same thing in a house we had several years ago, and for the same reason. We didn't run it for long periods of time (Phoenix and Vegas pretty much the same there), it heated the family room and kitchen enough to take the chill off, and it was a lot cleaner and easier to deal with than a wood fireplace. I have a regular fireplace in the house I have now, haven't used it in years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: