Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 08:48 PM

25 posts, read 51,830 times

Advertisements

I searched to see if there were any "newer" threads on this subject, but most were at least 3 years old. Sorry if I missed anything that was more current. Has anyone had a pool built recently, say in the last year or so. We've decided after living here for a while it's time for one.

I've gotten two quotes so far. One I thought was reasonable the other I was bit leery. We did a pool build back in 84 back east. Seems like I have to re-educate myself entirely. I've been doing a lot of reading about salt cells. Some good and some bad. These weren't an option to us back in the day. Having a hard time deciding if we want to go that route. Are there any brands that stand out as superior to others?

What about solar heating? Is it worth the cost? Also, in-ground floor cleaning system (which I might add seems pretty pricy) worth it? Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 10:16 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango118 View Post
What about solar heating? Is it worth the cost? Also, in-ground floor cleaning system (which I might add seems pretty pricy) worth it? Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Solar will give you an extra month of pool time on both ends of swimming season. You probably can do without it if your pool will get direct sun for most of the day. However, if it sits in the shade for a good chunk of the morning or afternoon, it's almost a necessity. The water temp will drop 8-10 degrees overnight due to evaporation. I would give it a try for one full season without it and go from there. No matter what, at least get it plumbed for solar now so you won't have to have your back yard dug up again should you change your mind later.

In-floor cleaning? I decided against it and just have my robot running around whenever we're not swimming. I've heard more than once about an in-floor system that wasn't properly engineered, so the system wouldn't clean everywhere. Vacuuming was still necessary quite often. Kind of defeats the purpose IMO. And once it's in, it's in. Very little you can do to fix it at that point.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:50 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,072,689 times
I'd never be without a salt cell again. Cost wise, I think it's a wash compared to buying chlorine, but time wise, it's a huge saver. The ONLY reason not have a salt cell IMO is if you know you'll pay a pool guy and thus you'll just let him handle the chemicals.

My thought process on buying a salt cell was to buy the most common unit out there, so parts would be more readily available and cheaper. Based on my research, I felt that was the Aqua Rite system.

My suggestion is to buy the biggest salt cell you can get. The aqua rite goes up to 40k gallons. Buy the 40k gallon one even if you only have a 10k gallon pool. The reason for this is 1) you'll have reserve capacity to generate more chlorine. I have a 25k gallon unit on my 15k gallon pool and I can get through summer with the salt cell at 100% production without adding any tablets or liquid chlorine. A lot of people will tell you even with a salt cell, you'll need to supplement with liquid or chlorine tabs in the middle of summer. That hasn't been the case for me. I wish I would have gotten the 40k unit now. 2) The life of your salt cell will be increased since you'll be able to set it for a lower % of production and still have it keep enough chlorine in your pool. The lower % will mean it's "on" less since the % control is similar to your microwave in that it goes on and off so it's active a certain percentage of time. 3) The cost of the increased size salt cell is relatively low.

I clean my salt cell every 3 months, which amounts to putting it in the cleaning stand (makes the job 100x easier), pour in 3/4 of the way with water, top the rest off with acid. Walk away for a half hour or so, dump the acid/water mix into the pool. Reinstall. Not difficult or time consuming at all.

Also, get a variable speed pump. Without a doubt. They are 10x as quiet, should last longer since they run substantially cooler, and save a lot of $$. I'm saving around $35-$45 per month in electricity since I installed the variable speed pump.

Quote:
I've been doing a lot of reading about salt cells. Some good and some bad. These weren't an option to us back in the day. Having a hard time deciding if we want to go that route. Are there any brands that stand out as superior to others?

Old 06-13-2012, 11:03 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westiejeff View Post
also, get a variable speed pump. Without a doubt. They are 10x as quiet, should last longer since they run substantially cooler, and save a lot of $$. I'm saving around $35-$45 per month in electricity since i installed the variable speed pump.
Yep, totally agree. If you're looking to cut costs, this is one area that you should not. It is well worth it in the long run.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:35 AM

135 posts, read 293,253 times
Would you be able to share the quotes and the company name if you dont mind. It will only be to get an idea of the cost. I plan on getting a pool at a later date.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:51 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,637,545 times
Remember after everything said and done, you will pay about $100 per "swim" - I love my pool, but you pay for the privilege of owning one.

Jonathan

Old 06-14-2012, 08:23 AM

322 posts, read 565,280 times
The best forum for pool info that I've found is A Swimming Pool and Spa Care Forum • Trouble Free Pool.

Salt chlorine generators are favored by many due to their needing a minimal amount of time. Your research will show there are a few trade offs, but bottom line is they are a very good option for many.

Personally I use bleach for my chlorine source, injected with a Stenner peristaltic metering pump connected to a small drum that holds about 15 gal, which will run me almost a month before refilling.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:58 AM

25 posts, read 51,830 times
Thanks for the quick responses. I spoke with a gentleman from Splash Design, bottom line $39,441. 20 x 35 pool, 7' round spa, Hayward equipment, floor cleaning sys, Aquarite salt cell, variable speed pump, aquapod wireless remote....

Laguna Pool & Spa , 30 x 15 pool, 8' round spa, $46,000. Pentair equipment, floor cleaning sys, Intellichlor salt cell, Led lights, Variable speed pump, etc.... I've read some very conflicting reviews on the Intellichlor. Also read if you purchase 1 pc of Pentair equipment you get a 1 yr warranty, but purchase 3 pcs and you get a 3 yr warranty. Looks like at one time they gave a 3 yr warranty no matter what you purchased and now it looks like they cut that to 1 yr, unless you make the multiple purchase. Anyone correct me if I'm mistaken please.

I plan on getting another quote from Paragon Pools, I'm in no hurry, I know this pools season is already flying by. With that being said I'm not looking to cut costs though, I just want whats best.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:25 AM

322 posts, read 565,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
Also, get a variable speed pump. Without a doubt. They are 10x as quiet, should last longer since they run substantially cooler, and save a lot of $$. I'm saving around $35-$45 per month in electricity since I installed the variable speed pump.
This is good advice for most cases, but there are exceptions. The savings and quietness come from being able to run a large capacity pump at a slow speed in situations requiring lower capacity. If you need high volume (you have water features like water falls, fountains, and/or have a very large pool, etc), the variable speed pumps have to be run at higher speeds, and they become noisier and less efficient compared to the more typical slow speed situations. They will still likely be a little more efficient than a single speed pump, but due to their high price and reduced savings, payback on the initial investment can become challenging in these situations. Also to be clear, I don't mean to say they become excessively noisy at high speeds, but simply that noise increases from "can't hear it running" at low speeds to a noise level more comparable to traditional pumps at high speeds.

In some cases a 2 speed pump can make more financial sense as a good compromise, as they are generally a lot cheaper than a variable speed pump but can still reap a high percentage of the benefit of running at a slower speed. It all depends on the pump capacity needs of the pool design and electric rates for the particular location. Also rebate programs from some electric companies can sometimes come into play as to what pumps qualify for the rebate.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:32 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,012 times
Quote:
I searched to see if there were any "newer" threads on this subject, but most were at least 3 years old. Sorry if I missed anything that was more current. Has anyone had a pool built recently, say in the last year or so. We've decided after living here for a while it's time for one.
I understand the desire for recent experience, but keep in mind that there are many kinds of problems that may not show up for several years, so hearing from people whose pools are much older is useful also.

If you're interested in a recommendation from someone whose pool was built over two decades ago, and still in great shape, I would tell you to give Watters Aquatech a call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: