Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 07:04 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,325,636 times

Advertisements

I could do a lot of my current job from home, but I doubt I would get as much done as I do in my office. Am I weird for preferring a job away from home? I am too prone to laziness I guess!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 07:29 PM

46 posts, read 74,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averymaie View Post
I've got 10 years of office experience under my belt. I went from receptionist to office manager and am now trying to do work from home.
I just don't understand why companies have such a hard time hiring someone that is qualified and will work for significantly less, and get paid going the 1099 route.
With all of the technology out there is there really still a gap where companies have to have someone sitting in their office? Or is it just much of a hassle for them?
I was just thinking I can't be the only one out there in this position where we want to work, but it would cost more to go to work than to work from home. Is there a niche that I'm not seeing out there?
First of all, it's not about you. It's the Las Vegas economy. Las Vegas has one of the highest unemployment stats in the United States. Even though many parts of the US have started to recover, Vegas is still adapting to a new economy where people are just not spending. Remember Vegas is 100% dependant on the WORLD spending there money here.

Hope you just didn't move here thinking there were tons of jobs here without doing your homework.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:59 PM

550 posts, read 639,292 times
I suspect many employers don't want telecommuting staff because of privacy issues/policies. Some workplaces require you to have a secure phone line that is a land line. Not working off of a cell phone, for instance. Also any sensitive memos and papers or applications would have to be properly destroyed. Likely too many things that could go wrong and that they could be liable for. If you are not tied into the network, it could be too hard to track your emails, computer use, etc, getting tech support to you in case of emergency.

Just my thoughts.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:21 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,326,771 times
Quote:
I've got 10 years of office experience under my belt. I went from receptionist to office manager and am now trying to do work from home.
I just don't understand why companies have such a hard time hiring someone that is qualified and will work for significantly less, and get paid going the 1099 route.
With all of the technology out there is there really still a gap where companies have to have someone sitting in their office? Or is it just much of a hassle for them?
I was just thinking I can't be the only one out there in this position where we want to work, but it would cost more to go to work than to work from home. Is there a niche that I'm not seeing out there?
I feel for you. I've been working for the same company here in NC for over 2 years. My old supervisor is a big tech guy and he and I used to talk about how much easier it would be for me and everyone in my department to work from home. It's easy to monitor the work you are doing by the amount of production you have. I told him over a year ago that I was planning to move to Las Vegas and he said that if we could show the owner how easy it would be then I should be able to keep my job.
Funny thing happened during the following year, the owner was bought out by corporate and my supervisor was made the general manager of our territory. He and I "revisited" the discussion about a month ago and since his wife is pregnant with his first child he was already looking into making the office more mobile for himself and said that as long as that could be completed prior to me moving there was no reason that he wouldn't want to keep me on. He even liked the idea of me working till 5pm PST since he has a hard time getting anyone to stay until 8pm EST.
So everything looks great right?
2 weeks ago corporate hired a new division manager who is overseeing all of the East Coast, and when he and I met last week he asked me for ideas on making the office a better place. I asked him how he felt about employees working from home and he shot it down saying he hates the idea.
I'm holding off from putting in my official notice, but I am going to give at least 3 months in the hopes that my GM and I can convince this new guy that it's worth it to keep me on.

To OP I think the advice that was given about getting on somewhere, proving your worth and then working into a mobile home office is probably the way to go, if possible.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:02 PM

719 posts, read 1,482,198 times
I just secured a new position, working full-time from home with a half-way decent hourly wage. These jobs are few and far between but they are out there. I saw the ad on CL, sent my resume and beat out over 100 applicants to get the job. I work 7 am to 4 pm Monday through Friday from home. The company did require that I have Internet, a land-line phone and a quiet work space during my working hours. The company is based in Henderson so I completed my training there for four weeks before transitioning home. There are several national companies that hire at home customer service reps, but they do not pay great. If you take out the cost of child-care, gas, office wardrobe, lunches etc you will find that you can work for much less per hour once you work from home. I am only making $15 an hour at home..but it pays the bills and beats the 9 an hour I used to have.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:25 PM

2,723 posts, read 4,770,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
I just secured a new position, working full-time from home with a half-way decent hourly wage. These jobs are few and far between but they are out there. I saw the ad on CL, sent my resume and beat out over 100 applicants to get the job. I work 7 am to 4 pm Monday through Friday from home. The company did require that I have Internet, a land-line phone and a quiet work space during my working hours. The company is based in Henderson so I completed my training there for four weeks before transitioning home. There are several national companies that hire at home customer service reps, but they do not pay great. If you take out the cost of child-care, gas, office wardrobe, lunches etc you will find that you can work for much less per hour once you work from home. I am only making $15 an hour at home..but it pays the bills and beats the 9 an hour I used to have.
You can make $14/hr playing poker, tax free. (plus free food/drinks)

Old 06-17-2012, 03:40 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,504,459 times
Quote:

Sad to say this but you can be replaced by younger people
who will work for far less money, and the field is full workers
looking and the jobs are few.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:09 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,440,863 times
Quote:
Now you are contradicting to yourself.
A quiet work space during your work hours is required, and you are saving the cost of child-care?
Doesn't your child cry, talk, or come bother you and want your attention during work hours?
Obviously you are not truethful to your employer.

Last edited by Scott456; 06-17-2012 at 04:28 PM..

Old 06-17-2012, 05:01 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,378,645 times
Quote:
Do they pay for any medical insurance?

Old 06-17-2012, 05:33 PM

27 posts, read 40,629 times
I dont even live in Nevada but received several management position offers the past 2 weeks. I recently discussed a resort property management position with a head hunter who said to me many companies are looking for people from outside the area, they didnt give a reason. The best offer so far includes full relocation expenses from the Northeast and 2 months housing reimbursement, full health and dental benefits, AD&D coverage and salary, which I thought was real competitive to what I see in the northeast US. I am still debating whether or not to move forward with this offer. I do want to move to this part of the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas