Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 04:55 AM

328 posts, read 728,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntonv View Post
I'm recycling a previous answer I provided in a different Henderson/Summerlin thread! LOL

We were pretty set on Henderson before we moved. My hubby lived in Henderson (Seven Hills area) for six months prior to the kids and I coming out. Ultimately though, we chose Southern Highlands for a variety of reasons.

I am so happy we ended up here. We have fabulous neighbors. We hang out outside chatting, invite each other to birthday parties, to swim, lunch dates, baby showers. Now my hubby and neighbor are playing on a softball team together. The neighborhood has many kids the same age that play together. All this has happened in the last nine months. It's truly been a blessing as we have no other family here.

I know you only mentioned Summerlin and Henderson and both are very nice, but just wanted to share my experience as well. It seems all you ever hear about is Summerlin or Henderson and really, there are plenty of other nice areas as well. I'm just glad I didn't discount other areas when all I was told was those two areas were the only place to be.

Good luck with your search. I'm sure you'll find a wonderful place that suits your family's needs.

As for safety, of course we're vigilant, but for the most part I feel really safe here. We've not been robbed, nor do I know any neighbors who've been robbed. I do check the crime stats occasionally, but there's been nothing alarming.

Oh, and So. Highlands is 89141.
I lived here in 89141 for the last year and it is home. Neighbors are great. Just me an the hubby here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Weird. You always hear about how friendly we are in the midwest, and I find that to really be true for the most part. Maybe Iowa is nicer?
I'm from a small town in Illinois and on the whole very friendly. But Las Vegas is too. It all depends on you.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:54 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,339,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoo View Post
I'm from a small town in Illinois and on the whole very friendly. But Las Vegas is too. It all depends on you.
Where, if you dont mind me asking?

Old 06-02-2012, 02:03 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,104,406 times
Quote:
Why would a car Sammy Davis Jr. owned be in a drive way?
Good question. If I owned a car like that it wouldn't be in a driveway.

There's actually more to the story. The guy's Acura was stolen one weekend and the KEYS to the vet were in the Acura. The thieves came back the next weekend and stole the vet.

After all, they had been gifted with the keys so why not? The owner had been driving the vet because the other car had been stolen and he had gone to the store for a couple things. Probably the thieves were watching. Waiting for a chance.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Where, if you dont mind me asking?
1 hour south of Chicago. Bradley Bourbonnais Kankakee area.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:52 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,339,013 times
Quote:
1 hour south of Chicago. Bradley Bourbonnais Kankakee area.
I grew up in SE Iowa right on the Mississippi, so I'm pretty familiar with west central Illinois. Just curious

Old 06-02-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I lived here in 89141 for the last year and it is home. Neighbors are great. Just me an the hubby here.
Last two weeks someone brought up our garbage cans to the garage door. I think I know who it is. Great Neighbors on both sides. We are the old couple . They think me and the hubby are so cute. We stay up later than them so we can talk . Our neighbors are our kids age. We love our life here in Vegas and we loved our life in Illinois. I love the sun and that is why we our here. Do miss family and friends back home but they could be a pain at times. They are now coming out to see us. We always have a great time.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I grew up in SE Iowa right on the Mississippi, so I'm pretty familiar with west central Illinois. Just curious
We were about 20 minutes from Indiana.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:02 PM

670 posts, read 1,107,611 times
My wife and I moved to Las Vegas about 6 months ago. We bought a house in a quiet cul-de-sac in The Lakes/89117. My wife arrived about a month before I did. When she pulled up for the first time in the moving truck the neighbors all came out to greet her and say Hi. It was 45 minutes before she made it in the house! We chat with our neighbors whenever we see them and one couple in particular invites us over on a weekly basis. We also go out to dinner with them on a fairly regular basis. Another neighbor's son works in pool repair and has gone way out of his way to help us get our pool back into shape.

All in all we have found our neighbors to be very friendly. Much more outgoing and friendly than our former neighbors in Vermont.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:39 AM

11,180 posts, read 16,069,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtvette View Post
My wife and I moved to Las Vegas about 6 months ago. We bought a house in a quiet cul-de-sac in The Lakes/89117. My wife arrived about a month before I did. When she pulled up for the first time in the moving truck the neighbors all came out to greet her and say Hi. It was 45 minutes before she made it in the house!
I've been told that just doesn't happen in Las Vegas! See below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
It hasn't been my experience. And it hasn't been the experience of anyone I know -- with the exception of MacGeek.

Quote:
We chat with our neighbors whenever we see them and one couple in particular invites us over on a weekly basis.
Untrue!

Quote:
It hasn't been my experience. And it hasn't been the experience of anyone I know -- with the exception of MacGeek.

Quote:
We also go out to dinner with them on a fairly regular basis.
No way!

Quote:

Quote:
Another neighbor's son works in pool repair and has gone way out of his way to help us get our pool back into shape.
Impossible!

Quote:

Quote:
All in all we have found our neighbors to be very friendly. Much more outgoing and friendly than our former neighbors in Vermont.
Liar!

Quote:
Sorry vtvette, I find it hard to believe your personal experience in light of Scoop's convincing argument to the contrary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas